• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Henry

Stan Wickham (3)
Yeah what the hell Mark ;(

On a side note though, here is my first xv prediction for Ashgrove.

1. Emosi Tuquiri (First XV)
2. Angus Cowan (16A)
3. Sam Carrigan (16A)
4. Andy McVeigh (16A)
5. John Downes (15A)
6. Roly Brosnan (16A)
7. Braydon Law (16A and 1st XV)
8. Jordan Tukunui (16A)
9. Jaz Day (1st XV 2015/16)
10.Zach Hogan (15A)
11.Kale Van Dugteren (IGS 2016)
12.Hayden Ryan (16A and 1st XV)
13.Ben Bucknell (1st XV)
14.Lachlan Tenison-Woods (15A)
15.Kaleb Pini (16A)

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Any reports on Kale van Dugteren?

Did he play firsts xv for IGS last year?

Kale was in Year 10 last year and arrived at Ashgrove in Term 3.

He might have played one First XV game for IGS, or run on as a replacement once or twice, but otherwise I'm pretty sure he was in the 16A's.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Galloper Said

He might have played one First XV game for IGS, or run on as a replacement once or twice, but otherwise I'm pretty sure he was in the 16A's.

Happyman Said

It must be a real slap in the face to the Outside backs at MCA to find that the coaches have so little faith in them that they have imported two players to take their place for this year. Obviously there will be a carry on that it is open competition for places in the team but I can tell you the coach who offered these boys a free education over a boy who is paying full fees will be picking his boy so he won't have to justify a spot for a kid who is not performing.

The fig leaf that some on this thread have carried on about that MCA has a tremendous culture and is all about creating great team and does not recruit has been laid bare for all to see. Fair enough that MCA has great facilities, obviously great coaching and systems however it is not that hard when you just go out and get what you think you need from other schools.

All this and frankly they would have been favourites for the competition this year having won both the 16's in 2016 and 15's comp in 2015, obviously the old boys need to buy a comp this year.

There have been many on this thread who have been taking pot sots at the Lauries coaching structure and with some justification however at least they do what they can with the cattle who are in the school win lose or draw as do most other AIC schools. The lack of support for them is the fault of the previous principal and not the coaches in place at the moment.[/quote]

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Galloper Said

Happyman Said

It must be a real slap in the face to the Outside backs at MCA to find that the coaches have so little faith in them that they have imported two players to take their place for this year. Obviously there will be a carry on that it is open competition for places in the team but I can tell you the coach who offered these boys a free education over a boy who is paying full fees will be picking his boy so he won't have to justify a spot for a kid who is not performing.

The fig leaf that some on this thread have carried on about that MCA has a tremendous culture and is all about creating great team and does not recruit has been laid bare for all to see. Fair enough that MCA has great facilities, obviously great coaching and systems however it is not that hard when you just go out and get what you think you need from other schools.

All this and frankly they would have been favourites for the competition this year having won both the 16's in 2016 and 15's comp in 2015, obviously the old boys need to buy a comp this year.

There have been many on this thread who have been taking pot sots at the Lauries coaching structure and with some justification however at least they do what they can with the cattle who are in the school win lose or draw as do most other AIC schools. The lack of support for them is the fault of the previous principal and not the coaches in place at the moment.
[/quote]

Sorry mate, but "Happyman" seems to be a very inappropriate sobriquet for you - so much vitriol before a single ruck or maul has been formed.

I actually know how/why Kale Van Dugteren came to MCA last year, and it definitely wasn't a rugby-based decision. In rugby terms he sounds pretty handy but hardly a superstar in the making.

As for Inose Nadolo, you seem to be the only one on here who knows anything about him, but in any event it's very condescending for you to assume that he's not a fee paying student. As I've said before his cousin is at MCA, and his brother Nemani would be on big money at Montpellier so....

The irony is that both of these boys are in Year 11 and there's a good chance that neither of them will play First XV this year, but I guess just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to get you.

eagle

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ashgrove have always been exceptionally strong in this age group (current year 12), the new coaching staff has been working them very very hard, new students will still need to come out the other side of the systems in place. The Ashgrove coach is the ultimate competitor and will have his group training as hard as they need to for success. New students arriving, as happens at every school from time to time, does not guarantee 1st place - I notice no one from Iona is complaining here about the new Rugby League pedigree students who have started this year, do these new students mean we should be talking them up as premiership favourites?

You can't entirely blame a headmaster for poor performance, from what I have been told, yes he was not the biggest supporter, but a headmaster can't impact the ability/knowledge of coaching staff, the proof is in the way lethargic way they have played and ultimately poorly performed, this has rubbed off on the players - speak to any past player from the last 4 years, it was a massive talking point at the Ashgrove/Lauries 1st XV reunions last year (always a highlight on my calendar) . Pot shots and reciting facts are quite different.

AliBarber

Bob McCowan (2)
I've read these columns for a long time now and never commented, so this might be my last year to comment on schoolboy rugby with some experience.
Looking in from the outside, Marist look very promising for 2017. I've been involved against a lot of these young men in club and rep level for some years and have seen a lot of their footy. Last years U16's have been strong every year since U12's Gde 7 - As where the boys from last years U15's have shown promise every year since u12(Grade7), only that's on the back of one or two players. Young Woodsy in the Centres has probably scored as many as the rest together. B Rozka is their best and toughest forward from last years U15's, the others are a bit wanting in the hard or clever stuff.
That may shock a few. They will probably blood a couple in the run on and the others from the bench for 2017 in view of 2018. Blake Rozka should be a starter in the forwards anywhere, he is that good and tough. Lachie Woods is the best centre they have by a country mile although will probably be blooded on the wing, a shame but don't be surprised if he isn't wearing 12 by the season end, and maybe they have 2018 in mind, if he is still at MCA, a few are chasing him. They are the only two U15's who physically have the skill set at what it takes to step into a First 15 Run on team. John Downs is strong as a bull, but the work rate and commitment needed might be above him when the opposition are a year ahead in mind and body. I hope he can prove me wrong and but I think 2018 will see Downs bloom. Hayden Ryan could be Flyhalf or if they want a capable Fly who can kick goals then Ben Ritter and Zach Hogan should be in the mix and 2018 should see him the Fly unless someone else puts their hand up.
Emosi will lead them well with Cowan and Carrigan as a formidable front row. McVeigh will be No. 4. I actually like young Carroll somewhere in there. The rest of the forwards will be of last years U16. I think John Downs will wrestle off against Blake Rozka for a run spot. One of them will play from the Bench I would think. A surprise Centres pairing of Ben Bucknell,13 and Lachie TennisonWoods 12, might shake things up. Kaleb Pini could play Centre as well but will probably end up as full back. Really, Fullback is up for grabs as you could put any number of the backs in their as an attacking Fullback - Bucknell/Tennysonwoods/Hayden Ryan/Hogan/Ritter
They do need a point scoring kicker and I'm told Ben Ritter is sharp, so he might be in the mix as well. Marist certainly have a full basket to select from this year, and they need to pick their best, because it's the best selection they have had in many a year. Next year the basket won't look anywhere near as ripe as all last years U16's move on.
Some GPS Schools split their Senior lads over two years and get a solid two years in the Firsts at least. Lads are nearly if not already 18 in their second year doing Senior. Brings them into line with NSW Schools and nearly in line with NZ schools where the youngest would be 18 - now that's not nice !

My positions in the mix for Marist. Not a Team but who could go where.

1. Emosi Tuquiri (Firsts)
2. Angus Cowan (16A)
3. Sam Carrigan (16A)
4. Andy McVeigh (16A)
5. Blake Rozka / Carroll/ Downs(15A)(U16)
6. Roly Brosnan/Carroll/Downs (16A)(U16)
7. Braydon Law/ Rozka /Downs (16A , Firsts)
8. Jordan Tukunui (16A)
9. Jaz Day (Firsts)
10.Hayden Ryan (16A)/ Zach Hogan(U16)
11.Sean Anderson (U16A's )
12.Lachie TennysonWoods/Hayden Ryan (15A)(16A)
13.Ben Bucknell (Firsts)
14.Lachie Tennysonwoods/Zac Hogan/Ben Ritter (15A)(16)
15.Kaleb Pini /Zac Hogan/ Ben Ritter(16A)

Looking at Padua - Not a bad back-line and a more than capable forward pack options. Who is kidding who by naming Danny Heenan on the Wing. He will be No. 10, 12 or 13 before he gets to 11 or 14.. He is a big chance of breaking into the Firsts in the middle backs. They could do worse than promote Harry Taylor to the Firsts. He is a Centre who they could blood on the Wing. He is U16 but is still only in Grade 10. Along side as a League/Rugby convert, Harry and Danny Heenan (Padua) and Lachie Tennisonwoods (MCA) were the middle order back line for Valleys Rugby League and all have been rewarded by a local NRL club.

I'm keen to see what people are saying about St Pats. Dark horses there. They could be a major surprise. I believe their Full Back may pull the plug and go to League.

Rugby, both before after School Rugby cannot afford to lose any more kids to league/AFL. Why are they leaving. Well in Rugby, if you aren't on a Scholarship at a GPS School or at a AIS school who has teachers coaching at a GPS School, then you have no hope of moving forward in Rugby. None at all. The GPS Schools and I'm involved there, are killing the game they love so much by dishing out scholarships. Mostly 90% will never go anywhere and in their tracks they leave a carnage of better players who were not selected over them who either don't play footy any more or don't play it seriously or if they were really good they move on to Rugby League.
Stop being scared of Rugby League and let kids play both Codes - that way you won't lose them, they usually end up back with their first loves and friends and core rugby mates. Blocking League only makes them want to play it even more when they leave. The real threat to Rugby are the old school ties demanding their old schools shell out scholarship after scholarship to win anything and everything with Rugby being the front, left and centre - you're killing the game you love. I took my club rugby team to watch the equal Premier Grade League between U15's Valleys and Logan Brothers in a top of the table clash at Bishop Park. It was a brutal game. Our boys were wide eyed at how fast and physical the game was. Valleys were made up of mainly Rugby Union lads from MCA, Padua, St Pats and StateHigh. I counted 13 out of the run on 17. Valleys won the Shield that day. Tries to Woodsy 3 MCA, Harry Taylor 2 Padua, Danny Heenan 1 Padua.
Next game was Wests featuring Emosi and Co from MCA making up the majority. None of them are on Scholarships and they are bigger, tougher, fitter and better players for it. I can't see too many scholarships from this years U16 or Firsts GPS ever playing Reds football. They simply are just not tough enough and rode out 3, 4 or 5 years under GPS scholarships. You can buy a good team of players but you will will never buy a culture.

Release the bees.

Greg1976

Frank Row (1)
Lauries First and 2nd XV Prediction

1st XV
1.Kyle london-bingum
2.Callum Lauder
3.Licoln Clapalm
4.Malcolm Huddy
5.Angus Dean
6.Campbel Brown
7.Nick sheehan
8.Adam walter
9.Billy Rutherford ©
10.Will Adams
11.Fergus Dearsley
12.Josh Hill
13. James Reginato
14.Peter Lamin
15.Zac Steer

2nd XV
1.Jack Ryan
2.?
3.John Paskin
4.Jake Playle
5.David Van Zeeland
6.Darcy Channels (c)
7.Ben Burge
8.?
9.Harry Sidoti
10.Braydon Croft
11.Tim low
12.Bayley Aspinal
13.Julian Hoger-Palmer
14.Callum Mathison
15.Cooper Edmunds

What are your thoughts

AliBarber

Bob McCowan (2)
Extremely insightful Ali Barber. Thought Rozka was a prop? or can he play anywhere in forwards?

Rozka was prop and could still be. He may not be tall enough to match some of the props he would come up against. As Emosi is tall and wide- you don't want to be too side on in the scrum. Rozka is strong enough and very quick for a forward and a very good defender. . Not as big as John Downs. They are spoiled for choice this year. A bit like Nudgee & GT in the GPS to mention a comparison. MCA's will need to start thinking about next year before this year even starts. A bit like Padua and Pats. Iona should have a bag full this year and next year. It should be a very close competition.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
If this year's 10A side performs as well for MCA as they have over the last couple of years they will bolster next year's first side.

QLDTalentscout

Bob McCowan (2)

1st XV
1.Kyle london-bingum
2.Callum Lauder
3.Licoln Clapalm
4.Malcolm Huddy
5.Angus Dean
6.Campbel Brown
7.Nick sheehan
8.Adam walter
9.Billy Rutherford ©
10.Will Adams
11.Fergus Dearsley
12.Josh Hill
13. James Reginato
14.Peter Lamin
15.Zac Steer

2nd XV
1.Jack Ryan
2.?
3.John Paskin
4.Jake Playle
5.David Van Zeeland
6.Darcy Channels (c)
7.Ben Burge
8.?
9.Harry Sidoti
10.Braydon Croft
11.Tim low
12.Bayley Aspinal
13.Julian Hoger-Palmer
14.Callum Mathison
15.Cooper Edmunds

What are your thoughts

Probably 90% correct although if Campbell Brown plays in front row then more likely Van Zealand at 5 & Channels flanker.
Interesting to see who gets the 10 spot. I would think Croft has the advantage playing Firsts last year but may depend on trial form?
Wakka plays 8 in the 2nds and Cooper Edmunds would have to get the 9 jersey

ausrugbyguru

Frank Row (1)
MCA should have no dramas finding a player suited for kicking duties. Watching Ashgrove and pats last year proved Hayden Ryan is more than capable.

Any word on the return of mathison for lauries? Shame he missed a fair chunk of rugby but was a dangerous prospect in past years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redredred

Bob McCowan (2)
MCA should have no dramas finding a player suited for kicking duties. Watching Ashgrove and pats last year proved Hayden Ryan is more than capable.

Any word on the return of mathison for lauries? Shame he missed a fair chunk of rugby but was a dangerous prospect in past years.

It would be nice to see Peter Lamin, Zac Steer and Mathison as the back three. Now there's some serious zipzip.

yourmumsnotyourdad

Frank Row (1)

1st XV
1.Kyle london-bingum
2.Callum Lauder
3.Licoln Clapalm
4.Malcolm Huddy
5.Angus Dean
6.Campbel Brown
7.Nick sheehan
8.Adam walter
9.Billy Rutherford ©
10.Will Adams
11.Fergus Dearsley
12.Josh Hill
13. James Reginato
14.Peter Lamin
15.Zac Steer

2nd XV
1.Jack Ryan
2.?
3.John Paskin
4.Jake Playle
5.David Van Zeeland
6.Darcy Channels (c)
7.Ben Burge
8.?
9.Harry Sidoti
10.Braydon Croft
11.Tim low
12.Bayley Aspinal
13.Julian Hoger-Palmer
14.Callum Mathison
15.Cooper Edmunds

What are your thoughts

I strongly feel as though it's too early to make calls that involve both a first XV and second XV. As players can improve out of sight in only a couple of weeks and Lauries still yet to play it's first trial game.
I also feel as though it's a very strong move putting Campbell Brown in at 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.