• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

The Lurker

Bob McCowan (2)
Hearing rumours Villa are extremely confident heading into their round 5 premiership deciding match up against Ashgrove. They have even ordered the silverware and pennant’s already. They plan on packing out Villa Park this Saturday with many believed to be attending as the Iona vs SLC game once believed to be a premiership game simply of no interest to anyone except for students and parents of these 2 schools after shocking results for both the boys from Wynnum and South Brisbane in the last 2 rounds.

Warrenball

Bob McCowan (2)
Hearing rumours coming out of St Laurence’s College that it might all be falling apart. Teammates allegedly blowing up with each other after the shock Padua loss. Rumours circling that the players are no longer buying into what the coaches are saying. There’s a real chance SLC could drop 2 of their last 3 here. The coaching staff is under immense pressure along with the director as all are off contract at the end of this season and without a top 3 finish it’ll be hard to see them getting reappointed. Watch this space as it could really blow up very soon!

Haven't we been hearing this for the past four years or so about SLC? This year 12 age group were very successful up until a few years ago; lots of talk about this from the parents at Met East Trials yesterday, interesting to hear the Met East Coach is from SLC, yet does not coach within the program there and one of the other districts DOR's is a former SLC staff member. Iona boys looked very strong yesterday in the u15 age group, many of these boys heavy contributors to well performing Easts and Sunnybank sides in club rugby.

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
Don't disagree re need for Villa to match Ash early, but having watched them dismantle Iona in the opening 20 minutes two weeks ago, if they can replicate that start they might put Ash under some pressure and then Ash will need to watch that they don't unravel like they did in the corresponding game vs Iona at Lindum last year...

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Don't disagree re need for Villa to match Ash early, but having watched them dismantle Iona in the opening 20 minutes two weeks ago, if they can replicate that start they might put Ash under some pressure and then Ash will need to watch that they don't unravel like they did in the corresponding game vs Iona at Lindum last year.

Serge, that analysis might have some merit but for the following:
  • given that Iona have already lost 3/4 games, including a loss to SPC whom MCA beat 48-0, they're probably not a great team to use as a form guide this year;
  • if my memory serves me correctly MCA scored 5 tries to 4 when losing to Iona last year, so I'm not sure there was any "unravelling" there;
  • if you were at the MCA v Villa game in the last round of 2018, with Villa coming in on a wave of confidence and good results, you would have seen MCA put on 3 tries in the first 5 minutes leading to a final score of 69-12 (and that was with MCA using their entire bench for the last 20 minutes or so) - not sure about you, but that is what I would call "unravelling".
Anyway, given that you're an Iona supporter you've probably got more important things to worry about than how Villa or Ashgrove might go on Saturday.

As the saying goes, may the best team win.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
so you don't really think "a tough road home" then?

Didn't I say in the post you quoted:

"MCA finish with Villa, Padua and Iona, the next two games are away so a tough road home."

Was there something unclear about that?

Right now I think MCA will start favourites in each of those games but could quite easily lose 2/3, playing good teams away is never ideal or easy.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Hearing rumours coming out of St Laurence’s College that it might all be falling apart. Teammates allegedly blowing up with each other after the shock Padua loss. Rumours circling that the players are no longer buying into what the coaches are saying. There’s a real chance SLC could drop 2 of their last 3 here. The coaching staff is under immense pressure along with the director as all are off contract at the end of this season and without a top 3 finish it’ll be hard to see them getting reappointed. Watch this space as it could really blow up very soon!
You must be having a laugh finally the rugby program at SLC is heading in the right direction with this years group having the benefits of the new gym. The new head coach is a no bullshit kind of guy and obviously some helicopter parents are annoyed that Johnny is not getting picked. The rugby program is heading in the right direction finally after about a decade of neglect.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
You must be having a laugh finally the rugby program at SLC is heading in the right direction with this years group having the benefits of the new gym. The new head coach is a no bullshit kind of guy and obviously some helicopter parents are annoyed that Johnny is not getting picked. The rugby program is heading in the right direction finally after about a decade of neglect.

Happyman, I believe the Lurker is stirring the pot and indeed having a laugh. I am however waiting with baited breath to hear what rumours are coming out of Iona, Padua and MCA. Lurker?

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Serge, that analysis might have some merit but for the following:
  • given that Iona have already lost 3/4 games, including a loss to SPC whom MCA beat 48-0, they're probably not a great team to use as a form guide this year;
  • if my memory serves me correctly MCA scored 5 tries to 4 when losing to Iona last year, so I'm not sure there was any "unravelling" there;
  • if you were at the MCA v Villa game in the last round of 2018, with Villa coming in on a wave of confidence and good results, you would have seen MCA put on 3 tries in the first 5 minutes leading to a final score of 69-12 (and that was with MCA using their entire bench for the last 20 minutes or so) - not sure about you, but that is what I would call "unravelling".
Anyway, given that you're an Iona supporter you've probably got more important things to worry about than how Villa or Ashgrove might go on Saturday.

As the saying goes, may the best team win.

Dont disagree with this commentary. My read of Villa is they had the poor game they needed to have to allow Paul Davey to refocus them for Ashgrove. I don’t think they are over confident , rather , it would be more accurate to say , quietly determined. All I know is this, MCA deserve to be favourites.
Villa need to score early to find their groove and then compete effectively.
As I said two weeks ago Villa can win but I don’t think they will. On the other hand the fence sitter in me says that the younger half of the Villa team have won games against Ashgrove over the years so MCA holds no particular fear for them. And the year 12 boys will be burning for another shot to get payback for last year.

Either way I hope will be a great match and not a fizzer.
Last word Ashgrove will not have a clean sheet in defence after Saturday win lose or draw.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
SPC with a decent showing in firsts and seconds with seconds winning 12-0. SPC 1st moved well with Iona lacking discipline in some areas, basically a battlefield down there with many injuries occurring. At the end of the day I believe SPC was the better team with Ionas only points coming from a penalty try. Quite a few of pats seconds players had a go in firsts, due to the injury's, with good results. The fullback from seconds had a blinding game in firsts along with a lot of skill shown by other substitutes in the forward pack, really shows the depth of the SPC lineup. Iona showed some decent skill with good ball movement in the firsts. Their depth and skill was also shown when it was nil all in seconds at half time. Overall good weekend at Shorncliffe for AIC rugby.
Anyone have a match report from Lauries v Padua match?

Clarence McLean

Bob McCowan (2)

The SLC v Padua game started off as expected, with the Lauries forwards displaying their usual dominance. Padua spent the first 10-15 minutes of the game in their half. After holding Lauries off, Padua gained momentum and got a pretty quick try to make it 7-0. Almost immediately after the kick off from this try, Laurie's hooker Angus Sawtell got a converted try to even things up. Padua made it 14-7 with a late try in the first half. With the exception of a penalty kick that made it 14-10, the second half was scoreless up until the last five minutes. Lauries nonetheless were dominant but just couldn't finish their chances. There was also a controversial knock-on called when the SLC winger had to run backwards in order to catch the ball - a moment that, had the questionable penalty not been called, would have most likely shifted the momentum well and truly for SLC. After a Padua player was yellow carded for mouthing off to the ref (another questionable call), Lauries made the most of their advantage and one of their second rowers scored an unconverted try to make it 14-15 to lauries with 5 minutes left. It was close, but looked like Lauries would just inch their way to a victory. But Padua battled hard and had Lauries against their tryline for several sustained minutes. After the ref (once again very controversially) played advantage following a Padua knockon right on the tryline, Padua had a scrum in the final play, got it to their winger and scored the winner in the dying seconds. 19-15. Some very controversial refereeing that would have angered both sides, but nonetheless a very exciting game that really could have gone either way. Unlucky that Lauries couldn't get the win but a nonetheless well earned victory for Padua, whose forwards showed outstanding grit, however, their backline (particularly their 15 who I believe was new to the squad and looked nervous every time he got the ball) had a fairly lackluster game with several handling errors.

oldboy123

Bob McCowan (2)

Was a reallly good contest between the 2 schools, could have gone either way, Lauries dominated up front like they did all season long, but just couldn't Finnish their opportunities which Padua did. Padua won the game after 70 minutes to score a try in the corner, but a a really good old battle between the schools. Rugby the big winner, in the words of the Padua head of sport after the game, is a fair comment.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks for the reports lads. Lauries must be a little frustrated by their seemingly dominant pack complemented by a backline that could not score enough points. That old cliché of 'forwards win games and backs determine by how much' didn't seem to apply.

Villa sound like they might have the backs but do they have the forwards? I think Vik mentioned in a previous post that their captain Livingstone was taken off in the last match v St Peters. Is he right for Saturday?

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
The SLC v Padua game started off as expected, with the Lauries forwards displaying their usual dominance. Padua spent the first 10-15 minutes of the game in their half. After holding Lauries off, Padua gained momentum and got a pretty quick try to make it 7-0. Almost immediately after the kick off from this try, Laurie's hooker Angus Sawtell got a converted try to even things up. Padua made it 14-7 with a late try in the first half. With the exception of a penalty kick that made it 14-10, the second half was scoreless up until the last five minutes. Lauries nonetheless were dominant but just couldn't finish their chances. There was also a controversial knock-on called when the SLC winger had to run backwards in order to catch the ball - a moment that, had the questionable penalty not been called, would have most likely shifted the momentum well and truly for SLC. After a Padua player was yellow carded for mouthing off to the ref (another questionable call), Lauries made the most of their advantage and one of their second rowers scored an unconverted try to make it 14-15 to lauries with 5 minutes left. It was close, but looked like Lauries would just inch their way to a victory. But Padua battled hard and had Lauries against their tryline for several sustained minutes. After the ref (once again very controversially) played advantage following a Padua knockon right on the tryline, Padua had a scrum in the final play, got it to their winger and scored the winner in the dying seconds. 19-15. Some very controversial refereeing that would have angered both sides, but nonetheless a very exciting game that really could have gone either way. Unlucky that Lauries couldn't get the win but a nonetheless well earned victory for Padua, whose forwards showed outstanding grit, however, their backline (particularly their 15 who I believe was new to the squad and looked nervous every time he got the ball) had a fairly lackluster game with several handling errors.

There was no yellow cards given to Padua for mouthing off. One was a team yellow after six maul penalties in the red zone. The other was for a dangerous tackle. Both very reasonable

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Probably enough games have occurred now to start throwing names around for an all AIC Team

Here goes !

1. SLC 1
2. SLC 2
3. SLC 3
4.Villa 8
5.Iona 5
6.MCA 7
7.SPLC 7
8. SLC 8
9. Villa 9
10. Iona 10
11. Villa 11
12. MCA 12
13. MCA 13
14. MCA 15
15. Villa 15

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
You obviously have not watched the MCA boys. No 7 in the qld dev squad. No 6 capt of Qld under 15s last year. Possibly whole backline (Def 9, 10, both centres and 15) and the No 8 could make an AIC team. MCA not the best in the tight 5 but speed to breakdown by backrow and an awsome backline overcome this.
Villa will need alot of luck on Saturday to win. MCA are very confident, consistent and well coached (mentally strong) not a point against them in 4 games. Now whilst that is unlikely to stay that way I think SLC are on the downward slope as to are Villa, but not to the same degree. Padua are improving at the right time. Pats may upset some of the bigger teams and arent too bad. Iona are the penrith panthers this year. High expectations but nothing. Peters and eddies are just poor.
The above said the last three rounds should see some great schoolboy rugby.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey not even Dr Livingstone ( I presume ) gets into my back row , who , is 18 and absolutely ripped Sunshine Coast a new one in the State Champs Final ( Sunshine Coast incidentally , IMO , would do Marist ) and Livingstone stood tall against them. Might have even been best on ground for Met East.

No one sensible can really argue about Markham either , Howse or Bryant - the latter who has consistently been the best running loose forward in State Champs and the AIC competition

I concede , St Peter’s Max Hurwood will have many scratching their head and asking who ? And yes you could shuffle the deck a bit and put the Padua 6 in , or Villa's 7 , both of whom have their claims and their fans - but for those that really watch without agenda or prejudice , or the lazy eye, this guy is a genuine rugby player and will be end up the equal or more of a lot of these names when he gets into Club next year and beyond - and for the fact he pretty much plays with the St Peter's softball team and keeps turning up - he gets my vote. Much harder to do that then being on a starrier team or being given a magic carpet to ride .

And if you are seriously suggesting that Max Plath isn't deserving of the AIC 10 jumper then I really don't know what to say to you . Radford , Moller and Aubrey. No dramas. You bet . But your claims of an all MCA backline are sort of delusional

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
I used the word possibly (ie on their day each of the MCA backline boys would be in the top 2 in the positions they play putting them in an AIC team somewhere). Marist 7, 6, both centres and 15 are pobably the best in current positions. The 8, 9, 10, and 11 (dreghorn) would be top couple / possibly best.
Add that together and you have a great shot at a premiership.
Tips anyone??