• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I used the word possibly (ie on their day each of the MCA backline boys would be in the top 2 in the positions they play putting them in an AIC team somewhere). Marist 7, 6, both centres and 15 are pobably the best in current positions. The 8, 9, 10, and 11 (dreghorn) would be top couple / possibly best.
Add that together and you have a great shot at a premiership.
Tips anyone??

Yep, my tip would be to let the coaches coach, the boys play and let's see what happens.

As there is no AIC team this year it's pointless worrying about someone else's purely subjective opinion.

As for GO's team, not too many issues with it except I'd find it hard to see Baker missing out if there was a genuine selection process. I'm pretty sure he'll be going head to head v Bryant at 8 next year.

Also, the relative merits of the Villa and MCA boys should be much clearer after this weekend.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Probably enough games have occurred now to start throwing names around for an all AIC Team

Here goes !

1. SLC 1
2. SLC 2
3. SLC 3
4.Villa 8
5.Iona 5
6.MCA 7
7.SPLC 7
8. SLC 8
9. Villa 9
10. Iona 10
11. Villa 11
12. MCA 12
13. MCA 13
14. MCA 15
15. Villa 15
Your 9 and 10 pick are spot on,daylight second

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
I used the word possibly (ie on their day each of the MCA backline boys would be in the top 2 in the positions they play putting them in an AIC team somewhere). Marist 7, 6, both centres and 15 are pobably the best in current positions. The 8, 9, 10, and 11 (dreghorn) would be top couple / possibly best.
Add that together and you have a great shot at a premiership.
Tips anyone??
MCA to win, the coaching many of boys had at club level over the years is really shining through.

Tall Paul

Stan Wickham (3)
Probably enough games have occurred now to start throwing names around for an all AIC Team

Here goes !

1. SLC 1
2. SLC 2
3. SLC 3
4.Villa 8
5.Iona 5
6.MCA 7
7.SPLC 7
8. SLC 8
9. Villa 9
10. Iona 10
11. Villa 11
12. MCA 12
13. MCA 13
14. MCA 15
15. Villa 15

HaHaHa!

I’m heading up to FNQ to do some fishing in June, in addition to my father-in-law, it would seem that I might need to bring you along as well, you seem to have the best bait.

Mythical AIC teams indeed.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't know that fishing is of relevance when I say to you .....

what-you-talkin-bout-willis.jpg

The SLC front row has been a slaughter house for all other AIC Teams this year and if everyone is fair dinkum you'd have to pick them

You can't leave Livingstone and Markham out .

Granted , Bryant and Baker is arguable and both will have plenty of supporters if you only had to pick one . But I chose Bryant , in a related reason as to why I chose Hurwood in the back row . Yes , you could easily make cases for others - but these guys pretty much do it on their own without the same level of "lean on" support others have where it is easier for them . And they at a minimum just as good as other options - and some , like myself , think they are actually better

I will admit Agnew could have a challenger from 2 or 3 different points such as a Dreghorn or a Torluccio - but again , personal preference - and Agnew certainly belongs in best in AIC show category

Happy Angling !

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Hmmm really,one good team across the board Against weak teams in a weaker comp is a bit” Captain obvious”asking for tips this year.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree that MCA are the best team.
But nothing realy in it between SLC, Pad, SP, Villa and to a degree Iona. SPLC and SE class below.
All comps have some disparity, look at GPS. Last couple of years both NC and SouthP have dominated. Mind you lots of $ spent compiling those squads.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Funny thing is, no money is spent, they actually get money for bringing most of these boys in.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
[quote="Garry Owens, post: 1066450, member: 30335]
For Lauries , John Bryant ( 8 ) didn’t play badly but found the going a bit tougher against the toughest defense he will find at this level of competition . The Lauries tight 5 is very very good and pretty much had their way with their counterparts[/quote]

GO, just out of interest, if Bryant made no real impact v MCA on the back of an extraordinarily dominant tight 5, when did he become so good, in your eyes?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I've always said he's good Galloper . It's not an all of a sudden sentiment . One game doth not a season make !

And let's be honest , SLC don't really have any other major ball carry threats in their pack and their backs , besides Torluccio (15)- aren't great. They only have a dominant scrum and lineout - but not in any depth of running game and penetration , and frankly , 8 and 15 is all . You can bum slay the rest but it's harder to do against the one team that has depth and defensive commitment that is better than the rest

Yes , Marist defend well as a team. Yes they are well drilled . Yes we pay homage and bow down before that great Altar

Just swap JB with one of your chosen ones and see how they would go and what different level of impact they would make in his stead

And the answer , IMO , would be SFA

Look ....I just like JB and his running game and think he and Livingstone whilst different running types are the best running locks/backrowers that AIC has to offer . My model for the locks / backrowers was 2 x runners , 2 grinders and an all rounder in Markham. I also think Livingstone is a bit more of an all rounder as well as I like his defensive vigour.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
l

Lets just hope they don't go uncontested scrums when the tough get going like they did against Lauries in the pre-season and keep on fighting, going on past results, its going to be a tough day at the office for Villa, Lauries did beat Villa in the pre-season by 2 tries, and we all know what happened with Marist and Lauries, so I don't know where all the confidence is coming from. But to fair, Villa are unbeaten so far in the season so lets see how good they really are. As far as I know its Iona's old boys day on Saturday, its a proud school with some great tradition, so I don't know how you can make a comment that there is no interest, that is simply talking down 2 great schools, there will be plenty of interest let me tell you, and a big crowd I'm hearing. Lauries can still Finnish second this season, and I'm sure the Iona boys will want to make their old boys proud, so should be a good day out there.

Ok let’s set the record straight
1. SLC won the trial against Villa by a conversion. So, 2 points not 2 tries. It was 2 tries each.
The reason , I understand, that scrums went uncontested was because 2 front line props were injured and another got taken off after 10 minutes with a head knock.
2. In response to an earlier question about Villa forward pack and in particular, James Livingstone, he is fine and cleared to play on Saturday.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
That's good news for Villa about their captain. As for selection, the AIC picked the SPC 9/10 at 9 last year so he would have to be in the mix as would some of the Padua forwards, given they got over the top of Lauries last weekend.

If SLC lost to Villa in the last round, they could hardly expect to warrant many more than 2 in any AIC team.