• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks Northern Tour 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Magnificent test. Ireland was brilliant. Great game plan and well executed. Crowd as it always seems to be was amazing.

Will be interesting to see if the Irish can sustain this up to and through the world cup.

Loved the test, brilliant game, what test rugby is about. No doubt Irish deserved to win, ABs didn't play badly ,just beaten by a very good team! As rugbynutter said they must now be favourites for WC, which I have no problems with at all. I really feel with some the games I have seen this year test rugby is so alive and well it's great!! geez that Irish forward pack was great!!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Also another test where Mo'unga comes on, starts giving everyone else more direction, involvement, and doesn't throw massively telegraphed passes. All while allowing Barrett to start finding more space from fullback to utilise his running. How much longer is it going to take for him to be given a serious go at first five?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
What a match, so proud that we held the All Blacks tryless.

Great discipline won that game, NZ only had 2 kickable penalties for the whole match.

POM was outstanding at the breakdown, Kearney at full back played a blinder as well.

Ireland will be stronger with Murray back by the world cup as well.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
OK, well played Ireland, obviously. Nothing fantastic but they can put up a decent brick wall, which I guess is fantastic in its way. Absolutely brilliant try to win it as well. So a little bit fantastic. However..

Honestly.. honestly! If Hansen didn't have his record to fall back on and this is the tactical garbage he has come up with ALL FUCKING YEAR, he'd be off. Read that again, ALL BLOODY YEAR WITH THIS. I can only guess he is holding back something for a world cup year which is frankly just as bad as not having anything at all. Absolute insanity. Perhaps it was the assistants all along.. Frankly, they did the most predictable nonsense all game and when they weren't in that mode, the back line was in shambles. How often is the AB back line in shambles?

And if Hansen doesn't have a lot to answer for.. I will lump the entirety of this on one other individual. Kieran Read. Not the fact that he played poorly but he has the tactical nous of a lamp post, without the brightness. This bastard had the opportunity to learn from the greatest captain of all time, and probably the strongest leadership group ever. Still, he fails to instil game management. He fails to influence decision making. He fails to change the approach on the field. He leads by example AWFULLY. His deputies are probably just as dull to be fair.

When the All Blacks find themselves constantly under the pump (having kicked the ball away all game), and they finally get some ascendancy, Kieran Read will throw that 30/70 pass 10 metres out. He doesn't understand momentum. He is incapable of adapting. The rest of the team follows. The rest of the team kicks the ball away IN THE ASCENDANCY. They throw the dodgy pass. I've said many times, this side doesn't hold a candle to the 2015 vintage, and this is where it shows. That side could form a huddle in the middle of the game and completely change the teams approach.

Dan Carter could manage a game. Barrett cannot.

Side note: I thought Wayne Barnes was generally excellent, he doesn't fall for bullshit and talks to the players. Side side note: Since when did Rob Kearny taking someone out in the air like that not gain a yellow? Has been for the last 5 years.

Loved the test, brilliant game, what test rugby is about. No doubt Irish deserved to win, ABs didn't play badly ,just beaten by a very good team! As rugbynutter said they must now be favourites for WC, which I have no problems with at all. I really feel with some the games I have seen this year test rugby is so alive and well it's great!! geez that Irish forward pack was great!!

I agree with this sentiment entirely. Though I don't agree that the AB's didn't play badly. They clearly did. Surely as a result of Ireland but they failed to adapt.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think we're finding that relying on counterattack to score the majority of tries is alright against the likes of the Wallabies who chance their arm a lot but isn't effective against the well-drilled NH teams. I'd be looking at Mo'unga at 10.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Sums it up..

Wayne+Smith+Mick+Byrne+England+v+New+Zealand+SY3BJHqgQfkl.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On a brighter note:

New Zealand Māori 73 (Bryn Hall 2, Tyrel Lomax, Mitch Karpik 3, Josh Ioane, Jonah Lowe, Sam Nock 2, Jackson Hemopo tries; Otere Black 7, Josh Ioane 2 con) Chile 0. HT: 35-0.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...the-americas-by-thrashing-chile-in-las-condes

Obviously it's hats off to the Irish who were just far too committed, accurate and disciplined for us today. They were in other words everything we weren't. Too much uncontestable kicking, too many handling errors, too many penalties in general & dumb ones in particular. We can only hope that Ireland have done what AB did so often & peaked a year early.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fear not. For the forthwith ordained Designated NZ Rugby Messiahs 2020-2032-ish will return us to the promised land of good coaching:

QOPb4FE.png

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is unusual for me is how much I enjoy watching Irelands structure, how they hold their line so well, their discipline and there constant threat at the breakdown and support play in open play. For without doubt AB's have more individual super stars but Ireland are the better 'team'. To me AB's are just not use to facing this sort of so solid defensive and line structures that Ireland put out and don't have a plan B when a team like Ireland shut down their flair and ability to break the line. To me it just shows Ireland are just superbly coached and best well disciplined side in world rugby as they make the most out of their talent at their disposal. NZ will get more players in world Xv compared to Ireland but that is the point....it does not mean AB's are the better 'team' in how they get the most out of their talent at their disposal.

The way Ireland play it could be 9-3 in penalties but way Ireland play such well disciplined rugby and play for each other as a team I really enjoy watching. Different style of rugby but very enjoyable to watch as much as watching AB's attacking flair but yep against Ireland you need more than that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What is unusual for me is how much I enjoy watching Irelands structure, how they hold their line so well, their discipline and there constant threat at the breakdown and support play in open play. For without doubt AB's have more individual super stars but Ireland are the better 'team'. To me AB's are just not use to facing this sort of so solid defensive and line structures that Ireland put out and don't have a plan B when a team like Ireland shut down their flair and ability to break the line. To me it just shows Ireland are just superbly coached and best well disciplined side in world rugby as they make the most out of their talent at their disposal. NZ will get more players in world Xv compared to Ireland but that is the point..it does not mean AB's are the better 'team' in how they get the most out of their talent at their disposal.

The way Ireland play it could be 9-3 in penalties but way Ireland play such well disciplined rugby and play for each other as a team I really enjoy watching. Different style of rugby but very enjoyable to watch as much as watching AB's attacking flair but yep against Ireland you need more than that.

The All Blacks are used to playing the Wallabies.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The weirdest thing was with Ireland in possession and less than a minute to go that the Irish replacement scrum half thought it was a good time for a box kick. Gave the All Blacks one last shot at scoring a late try.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fear not. For the forthwith ordained Designated NZ Rugby Messiahs 2020-2032-ish will return us to the promised land of good coaching:

QOPb4FE.png

Am I wrong? Or have we just lost 1 test? I agree they a bloody good team, and bloody well coached, but let's not get carried away. I don't even agree we got that many better players than the Irish, as kiwis we have to realise that although we having a purple patch , teams were always going to close the gap, and they have, Ireland I think have a forward pack at least as good as ours in player ability,(with Furlong the best TH, and there 2 locks up there with BR and SW, etc) and backs that are right up there, with Sexton, Kearney etc right up near top of the world in respective positions. If we are to change coaches and or players because we have lost a test we will be changing coaches an awful lot. I just of the opinion that it was a great test, we beaten by better team, and I see no reason to panic etc leading into WC or beyond. This is still the coaching team with the best results in the game.

If we followed the reasoning Schmitd would of been dumped after losing to Wallabies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I just of the opinion that it was a great test, we beaten by better team, and I see no reason to panic etc leading into WC or beyond.
So change nothing, rock up to RWC still believing our shit don't stink, lose to SA in first game, then get bundled out in quarters by same Irish team?

"Great test, guys!"

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So change nothing, rock up to RWC still believing our shit don't stink, lose to SA in first game, then get bundled out in quarters by same Irish team?

"Great test, guys!"
No, I not suggesting they won't or shouldn't change things, just think anyone thinking that there needs to be a panic move and suddenly finding Shag and co no good are over reacting. I pretty sure they are smart enough to work out that they have to change things up. I never thought we guaranteed of winning WC, and never will, but neither do I think you go into meltdown over a loss. We won't win or lose WC this year.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Honestly.. honestly! If Hansen didn't have his record to fall back on and this is the tactical garbage he has come up with ALL FUCKING YEAR, he'd be off. Read that again, ALL BLOODY YEAR WITH THIS. I can only guess he is holding back something for a world cup year which is frankly just as bad as not having anything at all. Absolute insanity. Perhaps it was the assistants all along.. Frankly, they did the most predictable nonsense all game and when they weren't in that mode, the back line was in shambles. How often is the AB back line in shambles?

And if Hansen doesn't have a lot to answer for.. I will lump the entirety of this on one other individual. Kieran Read. Not the fact that he played poorly but he has the tactical nous of a lamp post, without the brightness. This bastard had the opportunity to learn from the greatest captain of all time, and probably the strongest leadership group ever. Still, he fails to instil game management. He fails to influence decision making. He fails to change the approach on the field. He leads by example AWFULLY. His deputies are probably just as dull to be fair.
Until you have Michael Cheika as your head coach and our assistant coaching team, I am not willing to listen to you complain ;)

"Great test, guys!"
I don't normally experience schadenfreude, but that could possibly be my wet dream.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The All Blacks are used to playing the Wallabies.;)
Yes the comment from Jamie P on twitter summed it up for me where he basically said that feels strange to being saying it but Irish do the basics better than AB's.

Unfortunately the poor AB's are use to playing wallabies more than northern hemisphere teams like Ireland, England etc and lets face it when you play a side like the Wallabies who are struggling at this point to even master the basics it probably has given the AB's a false sense of security of how good they are on the basics!!! Game against England probably did not give the reality check but game against Ireland definitely did.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Am I wrong? Or have we just lost 1 test? I agree they a bloody good team, and bloody well coached, but let's not get carried away. I don't even agree we got that many better players than the Irish, as kiwis we have to realise that although we having a purple patch , teams were always going to close the gap, and they have, Ireland I think have a forward pack at least as good as ours in player ability,(with Furlong the best TH, and there 2 locks up there with BR and SW, etc) and backs that are right up there, with Sexton, Kearney etc right up near top of the world in respective positions. If we are to change coaches and or players because we have lost a test we will be changing coaches an awful lot. I just of the opinion that it was a great test, we beaten by better team, and I see no reason to panic etc leading into WC or beyond. This is still the coaching team with the best results in the game.

If we followed the reasoning Schmitd would of been dumped after losing to Wallabies.
Most are just happy we have genuine competition at the top - not healthy for one team to be dominant for too long....as people lose interest....

I suspect most kiwi fans like Hansen respect the fact better team won on the day and moreso got the chance to watch someone play them and make it a bloody good contest which recent England and now Ireland games provided...on top of even South Africa making inroads. Not like AB's lost big and indeed as one commented - they lost a test to side ranked no.2...and moreso side ranked no.2 showed why that is the case.

I do think bit of over reaction by some on kiwi performance as more a case of Ireland having to be at their best to beat the AB's and any neutral would tell you they were. Credit where it is due and why was such a good game to watch as AB's were much better than game against England and to my mind just Ireland were too dominant and better team for what was quality contest.

Sometimes you just have to admire the beauty of a fantastic high skilled contest rather than the result which was still reasonably close which reflecting the arm wrestle it was.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
Great win by Ireland.

Thought the biggest area of dominance in the game was the AB backs on the Irish back in that last 20 minutes. So many near tries by the AB’s all spoilt by brilliant cover defence by the Irish forwards. From intercepts, winning the loose ball on the ground and making the final 1 on 1 tackles.

Just goes to show how good the Irish forwards were. They spent the first 60 minutes earning the lead then closed it out by doing the backs job.

Got to say that’s the best I’ve seen the All blacks play and lose, which is scary as Ireland we’re by far the best team on the field.

We got pinged once at the scrum, lost only 1 line out whilst stealing two. Had very few missed tackles (Crotty and Goodhue made 37 from 37) yet is still wasn’t good enough.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
So who’s the best team in the world? I think you could build a case each way, whilst not being confident of either argument!

Luckily we have a World Cup on neutral territory coming up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.