• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks Northern Tour 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ Ala'alatoa was essentially Plan B in the event Lomax committed to Straya. Once Lomax joined the Clan & Mako NZR stopped actively chasing Ala'alatoa. That's not to say they'd tell him to fuck off if he expressed interest in being an AB, esp the way we're churning through props atm, but he'd have to make the first move & accept that he's not gunna get top $$$.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^^^^^ Ala'alatoa was essentially Plan B in the event Lomax committed to Straya. Once Lomax joined the Clan & Mako NZR stopped actively chasing Ala'alatoa. That's not to say they'd tell him to fuck off if he expressed interest in being an AB, esp the way we're churning through props atm, but he'd have to make the first move & accept that he's not gunna get top $$$.
Mentioned this in the Wallabies thread but i don't think he's really good enough for either.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What I like about this squad is they've picked a heap of tight forwards at the expense of outside backs. This suggests they'll hopefully look to use their set piece, rolling maul, pick & go, etc, before just flinging it wide & hoping Rieko/ Waisake/ whomever burns their marker or the marker makes a bad read.

Not sure if already mentioned but Goodhue will miss Bled 3 due to the glandular fever that kept him out've the Pretoria Test. Replaced by Laumape.

EDIT: also Shannon Frizell is on the injured list & I'm really pleased to see Evans there if only as part of the FIFO 19, a win for the late(ish) bloomers who didn't follow the approved pathway.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well it obvious Akira not completely on outer, I mean they took him into AB squad for extra coaching in June, and seems he was told maybe to pull finger out around field off and on the ball, which is fair enough because as I say he is bloody lazy or seems that way, but has all the ability in the world.Also add that according to Fox, they figure it will do him more good playing for the Maori team on their tour than doing bugger all on AB tour! Look I know you fellas are Aucklanders, but it raining here and I just finished watching a replay of yesterdays game against NH,if you can get it watch it, in particular watch Akira, he does a few good things but then just walks around the field FFS!!! One case in point (because I happened to notice the time on clock) at about the 61 minute mark, he in defence line that gets broken next to him, he turns to amble back at a slow jog, when the Harbour players is tackled back about 40 odd metres back, and Auckland players all stream back in defence, the very last one is Akira, who arrives after the breakdown, and is offside so no good anyway, it happens time and again. The unfortunate thing for all the bloody good things he does, picking players to work their arse off in a test are what is needed. I still think he will make it but at moment he only young and I suspect had a huge impact on age grade rugby without having to work real hard.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mentioned this in the Wallabies thread but i don't think he's really good enough for either.

He a quite good super standard player, and nothing more. Nothing wrong with that, but he probably not blessed with the ability to play higher for anyone.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

It's lip service.
If they're picking TEN loosies ahead of you, in a touring squad of 51, then you are BUGGERED.
"Work-ons"?
Hey, how about the novel idea of a coterie of world class coaches actually doing some fucking coaching on the bastard. iF THEYRE THAT GOOD IT SHOULDNT BE TOO FUCKEN HARD TO IRON OUT HIS WEE ISSUES, THIS AFTER HE SPENT THE WHOLE SOUP SEASON OWNING C**TS
Akira can kick everyone's arse at soup level till the fucken cows come home. The quibble that he doesnt run onto the ball enough is a cop-out. HOW ABOUT ALL THE OTHER SHIT HE DOES U FUCKHEADS? NONE OF WHICH DICK FRIZZLE/HEMOPE/EVANS/DILLON HUNT/INSERT ANY FUCKEN DIKHED LOOSEIE NATIONWIDE do. HE SPENT ALL SOUP SEASON OWNING THE LOT OF THEM. LUKE SHITELOCK? GET THAT FUCKEN SHIT OUTTA HERE.
The coaches clearly dont give a shit and have decided he's a dickhead. Say hello to your Hika Elliotesque AB career, buddy.
"HEYYYY, never mind that iron horse kicking arse all over the place in these soup games, how about that Dick Frizzle fella dozing over there on the Landers bench? Fuck his 'work-ons', he can play ok for the last 10 minutes of each game , looking fresh out there, so let's not just pick him for the AB squad but make him our starting 6 despite us having never seen him play 80 minutes of rugby in his whole fucken life."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep you maybe right DP, he been taken into AB squad and told what he needs to work on which apparently to stop being a lazy bastard, you can't coach that out of a player, and maybe if the message is not getting through to Ioane, he may just have piss off and play where they don't have such high standards expected of their players!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
It would be nice if they actually gave Akira a crack at test rugby to see how he went. They seem more than willing to overlook other players weaknesses to give them a shot at test rugby but not with Akira.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the new Blues forwards coach Coventry can do with him.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Who would've presumed that Hansen and Co, the cloistered, cotton-woolled, well-fed, gravy train cartel bastards, might be up for an actual fucking knotty coaching challenge for the first time in their cushy tenures? Instead of just pencilling in the 23 names that every man, woman and child in New Zealand could jot down to 90% accuracy in their fucken sleep after dozing thru half a round of super fucken rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Who would've presumed that Hansen and Co, the cloistered, cotton-woolled, well-fed, gravy train cartel bastards, might be up for an actual fucking knotty coaching challenge for the first time in their cushy tenures? Instead of just pencilling in the 23 names that every man, woman and child in New Zealand could jot down to 90% accuracy in their fucken sleep after dozing thru half a round of super fucken rugby.
But why though? Why would you ever stop doing the easy thing that works.

I'd put a tenner on Akira rolling out for Bristol or some such after a couple more years punching beers with the bloos.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
On another note it will be interesting where they play Papali'i on the end of year tour squad.

Whilst he realistically won't see the field vs England or Ireland unless there is injury - if he plays vs Japan, Italy and maybe Bledisloe 3 it will be interesting whether he plays at 7 or 6 (he can also cover 8). He makes for an intriguing bench option and i'm still not convinced the ABs have their 6 position sorted so that could be his best path.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep I'm also very excited to see how Papali'i goes. It's a shame Gobson seems so injury prone elsewise I think he'd have been there too, probably in place of Hunt. Does bode well for the Blues though, particularly with Coventry taking over the forwards and this talk of Luatua returning.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
On another note it will be interesting where they play Papali'i on the end of year tour squad.

Whilst he realistically won't see the field vs England or Ireland unless there is injury - if he plays vs Japan, Italy and maybe Bledisloe 3 it will be interesting whether he plays at 7 or 6 (he can also cover 8). He makes for an intriguing bench option and i'm still not convinced the ABs have their 6 position sorted so that could be his best path.

At the very least with his ability at 6 & 7 he seems an exciting prospect as a bench player at least. I really think he has got the makings of being a player that will be around for a long time!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Does bode well for the Blues though, particularly with Coventry taking over the forwards and this talk of Luatua returning.

Luatua did an interview since that rumour came out and that's pretty much squashed it. While I reckon he will come back to the Blues one day it's not going to be next season.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As alluded to above, NZ Maori are also undertaking an EOYT:

USA in Chicago on November 4 (12pm NZ time), Brazil in Sao Paulo on November 11 (11am NZ time), Chile in Las Condes on November 18 (9am NZ time).

Coach Clayton McMillan will have a pretty useful team to pick from esp when some of the "+19" AB join the tour psrty:

Chris Eves, Tyrel Lomax, Ben May, Marcel Renata, Ross Wright, Robbie Abel*, Ash Dixon (c), Jackson Hemopo, Pari Pari Parkinson, Isaia Walker-Leawere*, Billy Harmon*, Akira Ioane, Mitchell Karpik*, Hoani Matenga*, Reed Prinsep, Bryn Hall, Jonathan Ruru, Brad Weber, Otere Black, Joshua Ioane*, Matthew Lansdown*, Matt Proctor, Rob Thompson, Teihorangi Walden, Jonah Lowe*, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Shaun Stevenson*. Travelling as a replacement for the USA leg only is Canterbury wing Caleb Makene. * Denotes debutant.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...i-reveal-squads-for-tours-starting-in-chicago

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ a "waka blond", clearly :) Of Rongomaiwahine / Ngati Kahungunu descent according to allblacks.com so mum, dad or both would likely be from down Mahia ways.

Tribal affiliation(s) for all players here:

http://allblacks.com/News/33273/maori-all-blacks-squad-named-for-historic-tour

Highlights for me personally are:

Tyrel Lomax (Ngai Tuhoe / Muaupoko) the latter being from the mighty 'nua; and

Jonah Lowe* (Ngati Pikiao) my brother being the second pakeha (after a Bishop Vercoe) to be buried in their Otaramarae urupa: married a local girl, instrumental in getting Pikiao Sports Club up & running again after many years in recess.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^^^^^^^ a "waka blond", clearly :) Of Rongomaiwahine / Ngati Kahungunu descent according to allblacks.com so mum, dad or both would likely be from down Mahia ways.

Tribal affiliation(s) for all players here:

http://allblacks.com/News/33273/maori-all-blacks-squad-named-for-historic-tour

Highlights for me personally are:

Tyrel Lomax (Ngai Tuhoe / Muaupoko) the latter being from the mighty 'nua; and

Jonah Lowe* (Ngati Pikiao) my brother being the second pakeha (after a Bishop Vercoe) to be buried in their Otaramarae urupa: married a local girl, instrumental in getting Pikiao Sports Club up & running again after many years in recess.

Yep realised Lomax had Nua connection, and his father or uncle owned/ran the Key West tavern, about 15 or so years back, there a lot of Ngati Porou involved , so East Coast sure can identify with team.

Status
Not open for further replies.