• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Wallabies, Dunedin, 19th October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I was making dinner so I was only listening with half an ear, but it sounded like Marto was saying the AB's are soon to be past it and are failing to generate enough new talent.

Pretty fucking laughable really if I heard correctly.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It surely appears to me that the Wallabies are not competing at the ruck and commit nobody to it except for the tackler and one arriving player whoever that happens to be. Any turnovers are purely opportunistic and not through any real commitment to compete at that phase. It is the only reason I can see for the selection of Hooper is as far as I can see more of a centre than a flanker.

What astounds me is that this approach has still left massive gaps in the Wallabies defence, particularly on the wings. In every test since Link took over the Wallabies have let in an inordinate amount of tries on the wings, or from breaks made cleanly on the wing.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Always nice to see the amount of kiwi fans that have have turned up on this board to try to knock the wallabies fans down a peg or two. classic kiwis.

Most of the Kiwis here tend to be pretty reasonable, the odd troll aside. I doubt that @dam0 and @dan54 are actively trying to bring the supporters down a peg, I saw nothing wrong with their contributions.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
To be fair, Kearns and Marto did have a fair whinge about the refereeing. Especially the Aus maul in the second half where he told Genia to use it and he didn't, so a scrum was set, which was an interesting call. Whether you think Joubert should've told them to use it at that point or not, Genia should've tapped whoever had the ball (IIRC Mowen or McCalman) on the backside and got he ball out as per Joubert's call, and this was something that Kearns and Marto ignored.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Plenty of room for improvement but in my heart I can say that was a Wallaby performance to be proud of.

Cooper for man of the match in my view. He did a mixed bag of some really good stuff. It was a complete and mature performance and both he and To'omua look settled together. Cooper had that ball on a string off the tee tonight. Let's just see if he can do it consistently but what is encouraging is there was some difficult shots and he was knocking them over from both sides, which is generally a fault in his goal kicking. I think the good rugby fans in general will hope that this puts the rubbish from elements of the crowds to bed, regardless of what side of the ditch it comes from and we can all just get back to focusing on the rugby itself.

Horwill just looks well out of sorts for mine. We all know he is a shitload better player than he is currently showing.

There was a lot to like about that Wallaby performance. I hope it gives us a good vibe heading over to Europe. I have not given up hope on that grand slam.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
Just thought they were a little over top about how well Wallabies went, I thought they played quite well, but they lost and although they played well, if you get overly excited howwell your team has played when they have been beaten, I tend to think you then become happy losing. I will rewatch tomorrow if I can be bothered and maybe withdraw my comments so mono and Chunder can sleep calmly!!!
I was happy to see Horwill emphasise that they were disappointed not to win. But put in the context of this year, this "glorious loss" was very significant

Anyway, I had the NZ commentary which was almost entirely gushing about how great the ABs are for half an hour after the game

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A couple of main points for me from this game.
1)The attack was far far better but still lacks the effort in backing up and support. Case in point, how can Kepu outrun nearly every back in the Wallabies and be left with nobody to offload to. Contrast to the ABs forwards who always had at least one and usually three options for the offload.
2) Quade Cooper - surely now those who can only bring up his "poor" defence as a reason for his non selection can have nothing to post. Show me a tackle he fell off. Even when he got bumped by Nonu, he still managed to bring him to ground and how many times was he in the last line and working very hard to get there. Apart from one forward pass as far as I am concerned he had a very very good game.
3) As I said in replying to the man love for Hooper, the Wallabies are not really competing at the breakdown. This concerned the ABs a bit as at least twice the arriving ABs player had nobody to bind to decided to tackle players not bound and no even attempting to enter the ruck. I have to ask why Joubert didn't penalise them?
4) Defence - I truly hope the Wallabies get a decent defensive coach before the EOYT and change the system they have now. How many tries have they let in on the wings since Link took over. They are far too narrow in defence and so easily outflanked. In the first tests I perhaps unfairly blamed this on JOC (James O'Connor)'s positioning but every player on the wing has been found too close in and scored against. I would have hoped that it wouldn't take 7 tests to see the massive holes on the wings and address the issue.

Overall I am pretty happy with the changes and improvements we have seen since the start of the Link era, it is certainly better than the close losses where the Wallabies never really attacked or played any positive Rugby. At least now there is hope of a decent game from them and that is not a criticism of the players but the structures that they were playing under.

M

Moono75

Just thought they were a little over top about how well Wallabies went, I thought they played quite well, but they lost and although they played well, if you get overly excited howwell your team has played when they have been beaten, I tend to think you then become happy losing. I will rewatch tomorrow if I can be bothered and maybe withdraw my comments so mono and Chunder can sleep calmly!!!

Thats Moono....not mono! Another Kiwi insult!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just my immediate observation from reading the most recent comments. Some of the kiwi fans appear to be trying to stamp out whatever confidence wallabies fans have in our national team. Raining on our parade if you will.

its not always about winning, but how you play the game. that's precisely the reason most people hated Dingo Deans as national coach. I'm having fun watching the wallabies at this point which is a nice change. If the kiwis wanna come on here and remind us of the score then power to them. At this stage in history, I dont think that the above moto is something that black fans live by

tkh075

Frank Row (1)
3) As I said in replying to the man love for Hooper, the Wallabies are not really competing at the breakdown. This concerned the ABs a bit as at least twice the arriving ABs player had nobody to bind to decided to tackle players not bound and no even attempting to enter the ruck. I have to ask why Joubert didn't penalise them?

Boys gotta hit something at the ruck. If the Wallabies are just gonna stand round having a butchers...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

This basically echos my above comments about Hooper. I think weneed someone like Pocock (or even Gill) that is going to put more pressure on at the breakdown and not just hitting the ball up in the backline.

Also I did notice what you're referring to. The most obvious one was were Kieran Read completely cleaned up Hooper about 2 metres behind the ruck. Joubert was right next to it and just let play continue.

M

Moono75

This basically echos my above comments about Hooper. I think weneed someone like Pocock (or even Gill) that is going to put more pressure on at the breakdown and not just hitting the ball up in the backline.

Also I did notice what you're referring to. The most obvious one was were Kieran Read completely cleaned up Hooper about 2 metres behind the ruck. Joubert was right next to it and just let play continue.

...I saw it...too....perhpas it wasn't a mirage! Of course I better withdraw that comment lest a Kiwi supporter think I'm bitching about the ref.

tkh075

Frank Row (1)
So yeah, I can reiterate what's gone on above. The Aussie backs were pretty decent. The booing of Quade is old, and he goes pretty good these days, now he's got a shoulder on him. Your forwards are still getting dusted and Read has hit about the purplest patch of all time.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lighten up. Who are you to call me an asshole? Geeze.

For all the non trolls, what were they saying anyway?
They called out a couple of incidents that Ralph Fiennes screwed up - but said that the all blacks definitely deserved to win. They commented on the munted error rate of the wallabies. Marto said that given the recent performances, he classified that wallaby performance as a win (I took that to mean that he didn't think we should have won, but that it was a performance that the guys could be proud of - people who hate marto will make of it what they will).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I glad I wasn't the only one, I was thinking WTF at the time. It shits me the amount of times crap like this happens. It effectively negates the whole tactic of the Wallabies not to commit to the ruck when players can be taken out like this.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Look , the All Blacks were the better team, no mistake, and kudos to them. The Wallabies played generally very well and gave them a run, but not good enough.
But fuck this "Kiwi B team" shit. Missing McCaw and Carter, but with excellent subs, so no dice there.
Wallabies - not aggressive enough at the breakdown and dubious defensive alignment. Apart from that, they did well.
Kuridrani is the real deal.
Cooper had a super game - first time I thought "This is the Wallaby 10 right here". Good options, good defence, great kicking. Give him a big wrap.
We really miss a ball-hungry 7 - Hooper does good stuff, but we conspicuously lack a hard, on-ball 7.
Folau is a freak - sure, has some defensive issues, but a freak nonetheless.
Great game, and really showed me something the Wallabies can build upon.

M

Moono75

Kuridrani has the mix of speed and physicality. What we are missing is an absolute speedy finisher on the wing. An abrasvie physical lock would aslo be nice. Simmons has had too many chances to impress. Hes not cutting it for me. MMM is what you want if he could stay healthy. As a force fan I love to see McCalman in the team but he does lack about 10kg. Knocked back a few times tacking it to the line. I'd like to see some left field selections in the forwards for the EOY tour. The boys are knocking on the door, just need to get the mix right and games together under the belt.​

Status
Not open for further replies.