• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muttonbird

I'm more inclined to rely upon the stats done by 'stats gurus' on an American sports-media website, than from a Cantabrian stats guru's opinion piece on the NZ Herald - but hey, that's just me.

Unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I still think McCaw's impact is dwindling
It is just you by the looks of it. Nelson knows the game and backs it up with actual opinion based on the stats. ESPN, not so much.

I can understand you imagining McCaw's impact is dwindling, because he's been three times IRB player of the year having been nominated a mere 8 of the 12 times since 2001. But he will be nominated again this year, 11 years after his first. That, from the IRB, does not in any way suggest to me his impact is dwindling.

You may have a semi-on for the fetching, gym bunnies like Pocock, Hooper, and Gill but that type of player is one dimensional while the GOAT continues to re-invent himself in order to win games for his country. He returned to rugby early at Ellis Park after a month off with a knee injury and played 80mins, then lifted the RC trophy. Were you not watching? He's the captain of the All Blacks. What happened to your captains?

McCaw is easily the greatest player the game has known and he's still at the top of his game.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I have no idea if McCaw is going downhill yet. Though his performance to lead the ABs against the Boks at Ellis park was great.I highly doubt McCaw will be nominated this year. He's hardly played any rugby.

Just because I feel like saying it.
IMO - Kieran Read is easily the best player in the world (in any position)

M

Muttonbird

I have no idea if McCaw is going downhill yet. Though his performance to lead the ABs against the Boks at Ellis park was great.I highly doubt McCaw will be nominated this year. He's hardly played any rugby.

Yeah, but the rugby he has played kicks the arse of most others. Anyway, you do have an idea because you said it yourself - his first and possibly last test at Ellis Park was "great". His test debut in Dublin 12 years ago on Sunday earned him man-of-the-match so, by definition, no downhill.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I can understand you imagining McCaw's impact is dwindling, because he's been three times IRB player of the year having been nominated a mere 8 of the 12 times since 2001. But he will be nominated again this year, 11 years after his first. That, from the IRB, does not in any way suggest to me his impact is dwindling.

Given some of the laughable nominations for IRB player of the year and especially the final choices, being on the IRB list has less than zero credibility. Look at the nominations for this year, especially the NH ones. Kieran Reid should win it but that's almost a guarantee that he won't.

I personally doubt that McCaw's impact is dwindling, though as an Aussie I wish it was true. He'll be captain of one of the two teams in the 2015 WC final and he'll be at short odds to lift the trophy. So, MB, I agree that McCaw is still one of the greats but I disagree entirely that the IRB player of the year nomination provides any evidence of his class. Right now McCaw, Reid and Messam are so far in front of everyone else there's just no comparison.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Given some of the laughable nominations for IRB player of the year and especially the final choices, being on the IRB list has less than zero credibility.

Now that is an overstatement.

Not saying they don't make a few bad choices, but by and large they get most of the high performing players in each year.

Its Kieran Read. I know a common and understandable error.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm more inclined to rely upon the stats done by 'stats gurus' on an American sports-media website, than from a Cantabrian stats guru's opinion piece on the NZ Herald - but hey, that's just me.

Unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I still think McCaw's impact is dwindling
Bairdy, probably noone will persuade you otherwise, but fortunately Shag Hansen selects his players by what he sees them do on the field etc, not what a few people see on their TV screens. I am of opinion that McCaw is still as effective as ever, in different way than he used to be, as are most 7s because of law changes, but we can agree to disagree, just an opinion, but I'd select McCaw before any other 7 in the world.
As I said mate, not being critical of you, they all just our own opinion, and as I often tell my wife everyone is allowed one, even if mine the one that's always right;)
Oh and the Stats thing, I was watching replay of French test yesterday and if McCaw only carried 3 metres he went back somewhere, I saw him do 2 carries at least further than that is about 10 minutes, but like you say they are American gurus so thay must be right.............

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Really enjoying watching Kieran Read play.
Everything he does is accurate in execution.
He plays equally well in attack and defence, plus he's loving his rugby and it shows.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really enjoying watching Kieran Read play.
Everything he does is accurate in execution.
He plays equally well in attack and defence, plus he's loving his rugby and it shows.

I think he's the standout player in world rugby right now. He is absolutely the complete player.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)

Well I'm more inclined to rely on the stats done by a University research associate who has been producing them since 2003 and whose work is used by TV, Radio and newspaper media in NZ, than an American sports website but hey that's just me

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well I'm more inclined to rely on the stats done by a University research associate who has been producing them since 2003 and whose work is used by TV, Radio and newspaper media in NZ, than an American sports website but hey that's just me
How do you know the 'stats gurus' at ESPN aren't graduates from some university either? Do ESPN just employ mugs with no qualifications? I could just as easily turn that on you and say that Tracey Nelson could have prejudiced the stats because she works in NZ media (but that is an outrageous attack on her credibility).

But just one last point on McCaw: he's played very little rugby this year, and the time he was away, I would say that Cane more than adequately filled his boots, and provided much more energy at breakdowns and carries. His leadership wasn't missed when the All Blacks played the majority of the RC without him; virtually everyone in the ABs XV is like 28-30+ with a swath of test caps.

And lastly, I said McCaw's impact is dwindling, not nonexistent. Is McCaw, a player in the twilight of his career, better than an up and comer Cane as to start before the latter?

Status
Not open for further replies.