• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It does help that Le Frogge have outstanding loosies.
Agree there aenas, that Dusatoir is still one of the best loosies running around, he sure doesn't get as much credit as he deserves this side of the equator.

Reactions: BPC

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agree there aenas, that Dusatoir is still one of the best loosies running around, he sure doesn't get as much credit as he deserves this side of the equator.

Absolutely agree with you on Dusatoir and the same could be said about a lot of top quality players in Rugby from either side of the equator. The lack of knowledge in the rugby community, especially amongst pundits and rugby writers, is astounding. Most seem to presume that outside of tests time freezes in the opposite hemisphere.

It really annoys me that people paid to write and speak about rugby don't bother to watch even top level club rugby from the opposite hemisphere. The guys on Sky UK are pretty good. But then we are talking about the likes of Michael Lynagh, Sean Fitzpatrick etc. who cover both S15 and HEC games.

But for the most part I'd be surprised if rugby writers/pundits even knew who the reigning champions of the opposite hemisphere's premium club competition were.

Dusatoir is an excellent back rower and if the rest of the team played with as much heart it would be a real improvement. As it was France did their usual of starting to play only once the game was over. I think if ever there was a case of a top nation needing to try a foreign coach it would be France.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just watched the match, and what a tense, last 5 minutes.
Trust the French to turn up for the All Blacks.

Some concerns for Big Steve, regarding the average performance of the forward pack, considering they go up against the Poms this weekend. Carter, outplayed by some journeyman French out half; Ben Smith under-utilized and quiet in the centres, McCaw lacking the impact he once had at 7 - the performances of some key men are also a worry. But, on the other hand, it was a very strong game by Piutau, who scored one try, and set up Reid for the second.

Only South Africa is playing at roughly the level to be able to beat that French side; we would have been humbled.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just watched the match, and what a tense, last 5 minutes.
Trust the French to turn up for the All Blacks.

Some concerns for Big Steve, regarding the average performance of the forward pack, considering they go up against the Poms this weekend. Carter, outplayed by some journeyman French out half; Ben Smith under-utilized and quiet in the centres, McCaw lacking the impact he once had at 7 - the performances of some key men are also a worry. But, on the other hand, it was a very strong game by Piutau, who scored one try, and set up Reid for the second.

Only South Africa is playing at roughly the level to be able to beat that French side; we would have been humbled.
And yet every time we get to Paris we think we will beat them - then we face a physically powerful French outfit that simply out-muscles us. Been 16 years since we last won in France.

This is a hoodoo we ought to get off our backs before 2015. Next year we should get the All Black hoodoo off our backs. Probably not necessary as anything can happen then, but it can only be an advantage.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Every time you try to write Sir Ruchie GOAT off, the stats prove otherwise as he performs as he always has done.

Oh that he grew up in Goulburn, not Waikickamookau.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No. Tackles made 19; missed 0.
Yes he does lack impact. Considering the NZ backrow made at least 11 tackles each, and add to that the fact that there were at least two long periods in the match where France went through the phases, it's no surprise that McCaw's only contribution was tackling.

Add to that, he carried 5 times, for only 3 metres, and made 0 turnovers.
I would've thought the GOAT was more useful than a speedbump.

http://www.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/match/174681.html

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Yes he does lack impact. Considering the NZ backrow made at least 11 tackles each, and add to that the fact that there were at least two long periods in the match where France went through the phases, it's no surprise that McCaw's only contribution was tackling.

I'm surprised by the 3 metres stat. I remember him making some decent runs off the back of the scrum.

I agree that he doesn't make too many turnovers these days, he's just a huge nuisance to the opposition and slows everything down. That's the thing Richie's still really got over Cane - he's just a big body that's always in the way.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

McCaw apparently made 6 carries for 25 metres - top ball carrier for the ABs.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=11155794

M

Muttonbird

So McCaw leads first three to breakdown, ball carries & meters, tackles made/missed, and gives a victory speech in Paris, but Bairdy thinks he lacks impact.

M

Muttonbird

60 meters out and inconclusive. There's been about 500 worse calls since "that" forward pass.

It's Piutau btw. Lol@GAGR

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm more inclined to rely upon the stats done by 'stats gurus' on an American sports-media website, than from a Cantabrian stats guru's opinion piece on the NZ Herald - but hey, that's just me.

Unless someone can persuade me otherwise, I still think McCaw's impact is dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.