• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
History has proven Quade is a flake under pressure - so far.
When he shows more maturity and consistency, then he can be picked.

Quade, do your time, shut the f### up and improve your defense.
You are damn lucky you aren't totally kicked out of Aussie rugby following your comments last year.

As for Genia trying to pressure Deans into picking him with his comments. - pull your head in you grumpy gnome. Going over the head of the coach is not acceptable.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Greg Martin is the most one-eyed Cooper fan and Reds fan in general in the country. He absolutely refuses to see anything wrong..

Please don't lump any Reds fan with Marto. He gives us all a terrible name. A bit like those bogan racist videos which have some idiot screaming abuse at some poor Korean family or French girls.

He's like Kyle Sandilands, just says crap to be heard and generate viewers. Unfortunately for us, we don't have say in who he commentates/speaks to.

As for Genia trying to pressure Deans into picking him with his comments. - pull your head in you grumpy gnome. Going over the head of the coach is not acceptable.
Wait, what? Didn't he just say "I want to play alongside Quade because it feels more comfortable to do so?"

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Wait, what? Didn't he just say "I want to play alongside Quade because it feels more comfortable to do so?"

I reckon he has gone further than that. He's quoted as saying
"I wouldn't want to play with anyone else. We've got such a good understanding."

What does that say to every other hopeful 10 in Aussie? Poor comment to make.

Eternity

Stan Wickham (3)
So, reports are saying that there will be 11 Tahs and only 6 Reds. How could even the most biased New South Welshman agree with that proportion? Obviously Deans isn't part of a New Zealand conspiracy. Rather, I suspect he's someone who simply won't or can't stand up to the ARU's instructions to include as many Sydney-based players in the Wallabies as possible, whether or not their form and talent justifies it. The Wallabies should be almost entirely composed of Reds and Brumbies players. A simpleton could see that. Something deeper has to be at work. Deans is a problem, but he's just the symptom of a malignant disease that emanates from ARU headquarters.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
What does that say to every other hopeful 10 in Aussie? Poor comment to make.

White said he'd love to play for his country alongside Lealiifano and McCabe.
''It does help having a combination with your state and I know I'd feel a lot more comfortable making a debut with Christian outside me,'' he said.
''I know Christian would feel very comfortable there knowing inside and outside him there are blokes he's played with before.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...bies-charge-20130114-2cq28.html#ixzz2Q9Vwm9cl

What does that say about every other 10 and 12 (Lealifano and McCabe)? Poor comment to make.

Do we now realise how ridiculous people are being for nit-picking at one bloody word. Everyone want's to play next to their mate, the guy they spend 90% of their life with because they've developed an understanding of each other.

It's the same reason why we as partners/husbands/boyfriends get dragged to events by the missus, they feel comfortable having someone they can rely on next to them.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't think it matters how good Quade plays Super Rugby. He ain't getting picked.
[/QUOTE]

Shucks Qwerty51, I didn't realise until now that you are Dingo using a pen name.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seriously.. that's been said a few times on here but I hate Deans' coaching as much as anyone. I can however recognise where he's got some things right, not everything he's done is complete shit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So, reports are saying that there will be 11 Tahs and only 6 Reds. How could even the most biased New South Welshman agree with that proportion? Obviously Deans isn't part of a New Zealand conspiracy. Rather, I suspect he's someone who simply won't or can't stand up to the ARU's instructions to include as many Sydney-based players in the Wallabies as possible, whether or not their form and talent justifies it. The Wallabies should be almost entirely composed of Reds and Brumbies players. A simpleton could see that. Something deeper has to be at work. Deans is a problem, but he's just the symptom of a malignant disease that emanates from ARU headquarters.

This is two days of media appearances in Sydney with autograph sessions and other rubbish.

It is not a Wallaby squad.

Clearly players like Tapuai are going to be in the Wallabies squad.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Foxsports are reporting players that have been invited from the Brumbies/Reds/Tahs. Not sure how accurate it is but the list does not appear to include Mitchell, Hooper or Taps. All three of these guys are surely in, or very close to, a starting 22. So I’m not sure we can make much of the squad chosen.

If Foxsports’ reporting is accurate, in many respects the squad looks to be mostly about combining some of the established stars with some of the new blood. Perhaps more about bringing the new guys into the setup more than anything. They could only bring in 30 guys so they need to find a nice balance between young and old.

I think that’s probably a sensible approach and, in that respect, unsurprising that Cooper was not invited. Choosing a whole squad of established internationals so far out from the test season probably isn’t particularly advantageous. And probably not great to have a guy like Cooper there when introducing new players to Wallabies setup given his history. He’s not what you’d call a roll model.

I also think this approach will help to keep players level headed and hopefully act as a motivational tool. It is a timely reminder to guys like Mitchell and Cooper that there is a long line of talented guys who are now in the Wallabies fold and they will need to be exceptional (both on and off the field) to be considered come the June tests.

I still expect guys like Taps, Hooper, Mitchell, Cooper and Beale (if available) to be in the selection frame.

Im happy to see Palmer, Tomane, Mowen, Gill, Fotu and Lilo are in the minds of the coaches. All should be in the frame for a call up.

Personally I wouldn’t mind a 10/12 pairing of O’Connor and Lilo. Would be dynamic on attack and solid in defence and provides us with two playmakers both of which like to attack the line and both of which can slot in at 10 or 12.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that’s probably a sensible approach and, in that respect, unsurprising that Cooper was not invited. Choosing a whole squad of established internationals so far out from the test season probably isn’t particularly advantageous. And probably not great to have a guy like Cooper there when introducing new players to Wallabies setup given his history. He’s not what you’d call a roll model.

Indeed.

The toxic environment Cooper talked about actually refers to the influence he has on other young players..........

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

Genia is a leader and he want the best for the wallabies. Clearly something Deans can't do. He also is one of the captains for the wallabies And they should have every right to have a say.

hazzaj

Alfred Walker (16)
History has proven Quade is a flake under pressure - so far.
When he shows more maturity and consistency, then he can be picked.

Quade, do your time, shut the f### up and improve your defense.
You are damn lucky you aren't totally kicked out of Aussie rugby following your comments last year.

Quade was right. Deal with it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...bies-charge-20130114-2cq28.html#ixzz2Q9Vwm9cl

What does that say about every other 10 and 12 (Lealifano and McCabe)? Poor comment to make.

Do we now realise how ridiculous people are being for nit-picking at one bloody word. Everyone want's to play next to their mate, the guy they spend 90% of their life with because they've developed an understanding of each other.

It's the same reason why we as partners/husbands/boyfriends get dragged to events by the missus, they feel comfortable having someone they can rely on next to them.

Has White ever played for the Wallabies? I don't think he's actually had a game for them yet.

For a new Wallaby to say that he'd feel more comfortable with his usual partners at his side is nothing like an established leader of the team, the probable vice-captain, saying that he wouldn't want to play with anyone else.

There is a huge difference between saying you 'feel more comfortable playing with such-and-such' and 'I wouldn't want to play with anyone else.' Especially when you take their tenure in the team and previous experience into consideration.

In thinking about this a bit more, I can't imagine any other captain in the other of the power rugby nations making such a statement. I can't imagine Richie McCaw saying about Keiran Read "I wouldn't want to play with anyone else." Jean de Villiers saying it about any Bok players. O'Driscoll......the same. It is a serious attempt to publicly influence team selection.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe the ARU has just decided that there isn't a whole lot going on in this logistics camp this weekend and it is really just an opportunity for a few photos, autograph sessions and media appearances.

To save money, the vast majority of the players they're sending are from Sydney and Canberra.

People are reading way too much into this. If this was really an important thing they'd be bringing along currently injured players that they would still be highly likely to select for the Lions tour.

From a Sydney perspective, maybe.

But up here, earlier this week when the 'omission of QC (Quade Cooper) from the logistics camp' was injudiciously leaked (note media had to resort to calling QC (Quade Cooper) himself to confirm the omission), that story made the back page (i.e., leading sports page) of the Courier Mail, it's a very rare event where rugby supplants league in that paper. There is, generally, deep antipathy to much of the ARU's handiwork and MO in Brisbane rugby circles and it's a fact that in the last two Tests played in Brisbane/SEQ, when Deans' name was read out as Wallaby coach, it was loudly booed by the crowd.

It's hard for NSW-ers to grasp, but QC (Quade Cooper) is widely seen here as a critical and admired factor in the powerful revival of the Reds/Queensland rugby and ditto the 2011 S15 win. He does a lot of great and far from big-headed ambassadorial work in schools and local clubs and is warmly regarded by many in Brisbane/SEQ rugby circles. When he spoke out last year re Deans' ever dull and duller tactics, 'toxic' etc., most people I know in local rugby thought it was personally near-suicidally stupid to air that so publicly, but there were many who admired what they considered as essentially correct statements that we had reason to believe numerous other Reds players agreed with. So the whole perception of QC (Quade Cooper) is often different in SEQ than it appears to be outside this region (that is not to say there aren't some who dislike him here).

By so flagrantly omitting QC (Quade Cooper), and inviting only a small number of other Reds players, to the 'logistics' camp, this will do nothing but to add irritation and cynicism to many local rugby adherents in a manner that, in my judgement, was quite unnecessary even assuming Deans has no intention to use QC (Quade Cooper) for the BIL.

The bit about 'saving in airfares', come on, you can't be serious. Qantas' sponsorship of the Wallabies is much in kind, and the marginal additional cost of say 6-7 more airfares via Sydney vs them direct from NZ to Brisbane post Chiefs is very small in the scheme of things especially where player motivation and engagement is also a factor.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
The official ARU list is:

Jesse Mogg (Brumbies), Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs), Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds), Joe Tomane (Brumbies), Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs), Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds), Pat McCabe (Brumbies), Christian Leali’ifano (Brumbies), Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs), James O’Connor (Melbourne Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies), Will Genia (Queensland Reds), Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs), Fotu Auelua (Brumbies), Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs), Liam Gill (Queensland Reds), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs), Scott Higginbotham (Melbourne Rebels), Ben Mowen (Brumbies), Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds), James Horwill (Queensland Reds), Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Dan Palmer (Brumbies), James Slipper (Queensland Reds), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Scott Sio (Brumbies), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs).

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
We've been given a bum steer! No Horne, Taps in, but still plenty of Tahs dead wood...

So, MMM doesn't get invited but Barnes does - isn't he injured as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.