• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Barnes, TPN, Timani and McCabe in the squad.....squad was definitely picked on merit then

These are all either back from injury well before the tour (or already) and have been consistent members of the Wallabies in recent years (e.g. Barnes and TPN).

Thinking they weren't going to be selected because they haven't played much in the early rounds of the season is ridiculous.

Barnes will play fullback in the first test provided he doesn't suffer another injury prior to the series.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
These are all either back from injury well before the tour (or already) and have been consistent members of the Wallabies in recent years (e.g. Barnes and TPN).

Thinking they weren't going to be selected because they haven't played much in the early rounds of the season is ridiculous.

Barnes will play fullback in the first test provided he doesn't suffer another injury prior to the series.

What you say is true BH but for some (at least for me) the inclusion of some players that have featured consistently in the Wallabies recently isn't something that over joys me. Not necessarily because of any shortcomings from particular players but from the continual use of the excuse last year for our less than positive season, that we've had so many injuries.

I guess this year was holding the promise of an exciting new team, full of running, full of attack or even full of players that look like they know each other, but it looks a hell of a lot like last years team that played some of the most conservative and unimaginative Rugby I have ever seen.

For these reasons, the reactions of some probably aren't ridiculous. Unfounded maybe, but ridiculous probably not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Barnes played the best tests at fullback by a Wallaby last year since Beale was in peak form in 2010.

You'd be crazy to select a debutant with questionable defence at fullback for the first Lions test. It would be a trainwreck waiting to happen.

James O'Connor has been a Wallaby star in recent years but was made to look like a fool when he was thrown in at the deep end at fullback against the All Blacks. It just isn't a good idea.

I still think one of Mogg or Folau is a very good chance at being a bench player to provide attacking spark late in a game.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

I wouldn't have qualms with people like TPN, Barnes and McCabe selection if they had played a few games. Although not my first choice I get the fact that they are people who get the systems and have played before.
But on this 'tried, tested and proven' train of thought, wouldn't it have made sense to choose untried players for this camp? who have been playing? I doubt deans is going to try new systems, so it's doubtful they would miss out on anything they don't already know.
I just think the logistics camp would have been a good opportunity to invite in your people like Hanson, Cooper, Godwin and Pyle and introduce them to the systems.
At least that way if a load of injuries occur by the time the final squad is called deans has a greater pool of people up to date on his systems to select from.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess Barnes, TPN and McCabe are pretty much guaranteed members of the 30 man squad if they are healthy.

That's probably what you can take out of that.

I imagine if Horwill was still in a moonboot with a return for a couple of weeks time, he'd have still been here for the camp.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Scoey, I'm really not sure how anyone could expect a big player turnover and lots of new talent to play the Lions. It probably wouldn't ever be on the cards, but particularly not with Deans coaching for his job.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
this list is pretty much what you would expect. proven (i use the word lightly) wallabies and one or two in form others, mogg, leali'ifano, sio, auelua, plus the "big" signing (rightly or wrongly he fill figure in the advertising even if not in the games themselves). a few are lucky based on their current form/fitness and there are a couple of blokes playing well who should have been invited perhaps, eg, pyle, mmm, ryan
the selectors are always going to pick the old hands first if they are fit and no-one else is playing outstandingly well in that position
ps i really think cooper should be in

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah surprised about Drew Mitchell not being in there too. One of Deans favourites, who is in the best form I have seen him in since the start of 2011. One of the form wingers at the moment.

Deans has an anti-Tah bias I struggle to get past, frankly.

ha. I was with you until you wrote "Deans has an anti-Tah bias" :rolleyes:

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez I can't believe the level of outrage on the front page over this.

Firstly- it's a 30 man squad. People get so up in arms when there is ONE player they don't like (eg Berrick Barnes or TPN), and all of a sudden ROBBIE DEANS IS A FAILURE. Fuck me.

Secondly- I reckon this is the best 30 man squad I have seen from Robbie. Form players have been rewarded. Old hands have largely been picked, but a few undeserving ones have been left out (Horne, Kepu etc).

Really only Quade and maybe Drew Mitchell can consider themselves unlucky.

I reckon he's got it about 90% right here.

And yet the tirades against Deans, I can't believe it!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Firstly- it's a 30 man squad. People get so up in arms when there is ONE player they don't like (eg Berrick Barnes or TPN), and all of a sudden ROBBIE DEANS IS A FAILURE. Fuck me.

Secondly- I reckon this is the best 30 man squad I have seen from Robbie. Form players have been rewarded. Old hands have largely been picked, but a few undeserving ones have been left out (Horne, Kepu etc).

I have to agree.

I hold no love for Deans, but this is a good squad.

I would try to find room for Mafi and Mitchell though.........

And definitely MMM when fit.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Also, this isn't even the squad to take on the Lions........

So everyone should save their outrage for when that squad is picked.........

Richo

John Thornett (49)

That's why I avoid the comments on the front page, barbs. There are some good thoughts there, but too often there's too much utter dribble. Not sure what some people expected, really. Presumably NOO WARATARDS COS THAY IS DBUM, but other than that, it's not really clear. Who, exactly, is so absolutely deserving but missed out on an invitation to a bloody logistics camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.