• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Articles from our blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is this in response to the challenge on Rugby HQ the other week from Justin Marshall when he had a dig at Fox Sports Rugby commentators as he proudly showed off his battle wounds from playing club footy in Christchurch?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
He's put his hand up to play in the Classic match (ANZAC XV vs Lions XV) at Ballymore the night before the 1st Lions Test in Brisbane so maybe he's trying to get a bit of game time under his belt?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is this in response to the challenge on Rugby HQ the other week from Justin Marshall when he had a dig at Fox Sports Rugby commentators as he proudly showed off his battle wounds from playing club footy in Christchurch?

JM & him are actually good mates so wouldn't surprise me if there was a little good natured baiting going on.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Any truth in the rumour that JOC (James O'Connor) is headed to Tahs? Heard mention of it on ABC radio news yesterday.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting that the Telegraph reported today that Bernard Foley is heading to the Rebels. Would seem strange unless O'Connor is no longer wanted there

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Interesting that the Telegraph reported today that Bernard Foley is heading to the Rebels. Would seem strange unless O'Connor is no longer wanted there
Or they don't think he's a flyhalf

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
According to Planet Rugby, Giteau has his hand up for the next RWC

Matt Giteau has revealed he would be interested in returning to the Australian fold in time for the 2015 World Cup.

The 30-year-old has not turned out for the Wallabies since 2011 after a falling out with coach Robbie Deans when he was a surprise omission from Australia's World Cup squad.

Giteau packed his bags for France and has turned out for Top 14 outfit Toulon ever since - and with much success.

However, the lure of representing his country once more at a World Cup is great.

''I'd love to be involved and given an opportunity but I just don't know how realistic that is,'' he told Rugby Heaven.

''I'm enjoying my rugby here. You'd never knock back the chance to play for your country but I think being over here now and not being in Super Rugby, you have those doubts about whether you still are good enough to play top level rugby like that. There are a few questions to answer first."

While looking ahead to the next World Cup, Giteau admits that he had very bitter feelings about his omission from the 2011 party, but that with time those emotions have eased.

''Not getting the opportunity is OK, I've been fortunate enough to have so many coaches show a lot of faith in me and continue to pick me even if my form didn't warrant it,'' he said.

''I have no problems if a coach doesn't feel you're best suited for the group, but certainly the way I was told [about the World Cup omission] and the way things just ended left a bitter taste for me. That was my initial reaction but I feel and have nothing but fond memories of my time in Australia, and that I had the opportunity to play for Australia so many times, I'm very thankful for that.

''For me, now that some time has passed, it's been the best thing,'' he added.

''I would have loved to have been involved in the [2011] World Cup, I'm not saying that I wouldn't have been. I would have done anything to have been involved in the squad, helping out however I could. But it has been a nice change ... When you watch things like the [British and Irish] Lions Tests you would still love to be a part of the big games, but now that I've had a bit of success here I can let that go and wish the guys there all the best.''

It comes as little surprise that the former Brumbies man backs the decision to sack Deans and replace him with Reds boss Ewen McKenzie.

''Time will tell whether [McKenzie] was the right appointment but certainly change needed to be made, and I think at this point in time Ewen was probably the best man for the job. Robbie had had his opportunities at trying to build success and get the team going in a certain direction, so I feel it was time for a change," he said.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Staying with lost sons Fourie Du Preez included in the Springbok squad for the Rugby Championship

The Springbok selectors opted for continuity when they named a 30-man squad for the opening two rounds of the Castle Lager Rugby Championship later this month against Argentina.

Only three players who were not part of the squad which won the Castle Lager Incoming Series in June have been added to the squad.

They are experienced scrumhalf Fourie du Preez, who has been selected for the Springboks for the first time since the Rugby World Cup in 2011, Gurthrö Steenkamp (prop) and Duane Vermeulen (No 8), who last played for the Springboks in November 2012.

Du Preez’s club in Japan, Suntory Sungoliath, have released him for international duty for parts of the Rugby Championship. He is available for the three tests in South Africa and has been included in the squad.

When Du Preez can’t travel with the Springboks, his place in the squad will be taken by Piet van Zyl.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/130803/Fourie_du_Preez_back_in_Bok_fold

Status
Not open for further replies.