• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Thanks gents, agree looks a good mix across the board. Well done to all boys, go and enjoy the experience.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
Well done all selected and bad luck to those passed over on this occaision. Some tough calls no doubt for the selectors.

Anyone know who the coaches are for the eight Sydney teams?

Interested not only in the names which would mean little to me but also who the ARU has managed to attract. Hopefully some of the JGC coaches (esp. the U17 coaches) will be involved in SS and equivalent clubs and can begin steering the pathway into colts rugby - it can happen organically as well as through some structural change by the ARU. And hopefully no trojan horse loig scouts on the coaching teams. Actually, most of all I hope they are high calibre coaches who can communicate well and get a really positive response from teenage boys.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Quali
Cheers, I guess: Sylvania High 6:30 on Tuesday night - there wouldn't be any traffic between the city and there at that time - would there?
And no beers after training.

Quality time with your boy IS - hopefully he's a bit more talkative than mine!

A strong looking line up. Special congrats to the brave 13 yr olds that made the 15s squad - they had to pull down some very large 14yo units to get there.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Lachlan Fear in charge of North Western Sydney - that's a heavy weight coach! Good catch for the pathway.
And Shaun Killian for the north harbor u15's is a great asset as well, don't know much about the others. I do know that some of the country applicants were below standard, so will be interesting to see how they perform.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hunter induction was last Sunday.

They have selected a train on squad of about 37 players which will be trimmed to 30 before Christmas. The talk amongst a number of parents was why the player I mentioned in a pervious post was omitted. It understandable in the major centres where you have a large pool of talent that kids miss out but in the Country centres where the number of quality players is limited then you would think that the selectors would get it right. But then again I'm dreaming :rolleyes:

Players selected in the train on squad are to pay $60 and for that they get a training shirt and shorts. The chosen 30 then pay the balance of $600.

Each Centre is expected to raise $10,000 through sponsorship which the Hunter has already been guaranteed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hunter induction was last Sunday.

They have selected a train on squad of about 37 players which will be trimmed to 30 before Christmas. The talk amongst a number of parents was why the player I mentioned in a pervious post was omitted. It understandable in the major centres where you have a large pool of talent that kids miss out but in the Country centres where the number of quality players is limited then you would think that the selectors would get it right. But then again I'm dreaming :rolleyes:

Players selected in the train on squad are to pay $60 and for that they get a training shirt and shorts. The chosen 30 then pay the balance of $600.

Each Centre is expected to raise $10,000 through sponsorship which the Hunter has already been guaranteed.

Well done.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does the $10k sponsorship mean that the families won't be charged $600?

Good outcome for the Hunter folk if that is the case.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does the $10k sponsorship mean that the families won't be charged $600?

Good outcome for the Hunter folk if that is the case.

No!!!!

From the presentation that was shown to us it appears to be an ARU requirement that each Centre raises $10,000 on top of the $660 to be paid for each player.

I forgot to add that the Hunter Centre are also applying for some grants with the possibility of reducing the cost down to $300. Could still be a good outcome :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So each centre costs $39600 (660 x 30 x 2 [U15&U17]) + 10000 = $49600 per centre.
24 centres @ 49600 = $1.190m to run this competition that has to be found by the participants or associates. Wonder how much the ARU will be tipping in?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
And Shaun Killian for the north harbor u15's is a great asset as well, don't know much about the others. I do know that some of the country applicants were below standard, so will be interesting to see how they perform.
Eaun Clark, head coach for Wests 17s, coached at Knox this year and I understand was involved with Gordon Colts. Seems a knowledgeable and well organised bloke who relates well to the boys.

Ruckhard

Bob McCowan (2)
Was at the Brisbane U15 first training session yesterday - straight into 4 x teams of 30.
Had a walk around watching each group, has to be said it looks excellent - straight into it, all the boys looked very enthusiastic. With this kind of coaching regardless of who attends, was picked/ not picked and all the other conspiracies that go along with these kind of events, it can only be a good thing for rugby in the region.
Already I would suggest to the ARU/ QRU running the event that they should encourage all coaches from the region to pop along to watch how these group of coaches go about their business. Great drills, enthusiasm, detail, variety and contact (hate to see coaches who just run cones and grinds). Before the boys started to think of girls, facebook or whats for dinner another challenging drill was being explained.
So far to very good.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)

For any position advertised there are usually applicants that are below standard, but what about those that were appointed.

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
how many times a week are the other teams training before and after xmas ? Are the Brisbane teams all going to train at the one venue ? I understand that the coaches aren't allowed to "train as a team" prior to xmas they have to go through the ARU skills program set out for the coaches is this true ?

Status
Not open for further replies.