• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
any word on the venues of games in the gold cup

There is a link in the blog article if you look for it on page one, but the ARU have indicated a new opening date. I'm sure that folks on the thread can give us the correct date info closer to the opening.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-i-junior-gold-cup/

It doesn't give the details of which ground, just which town but these details will no doubt be available closer to the competition.

If you have any comments please write them on the blog.

I got a bit on the soapbox on page 2 of the blog mentioning many of the things that folks have mentioned in the forum.

Please let me know if there are any mistakes (in this thread so I can change them).

Unfortunately, in case you want me to add anything, the blog is already too long; so I can't add anything more.

Thank you,

LG

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Hi, I hear the REDS, Rebal and Force have kicked in some money for the Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth JGC teams, does anyone know if the Waratahs have done the same for the Sydney Teams?

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Judging by this they may be look for money from the squads:
URL="http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/waratahs-2014.12442/page-116#post-565778"]Waratahs 2014[/URL]
I guess that answers it. What a shame. i understand SJRU were also asked to contribute some $ to help out but again the answer was no. NSWRU also had no money and neither does the ARU if you listen to the talk. NSW is the biggest rugby state with the least amount of money, what on earth do they do with it.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
heard a rumour that the ARU this year is levying $200 per junior team
That would show just how out of touch the ARU is with community rugby. Thats roughly $10 per player, that will go straight on the fees and if it results in one or two players leaving an age group, for a smaller village club that could mean the end of the team and possibly the end of the club. No doubt there are some strong districts but there are also some that struggle with changing demographics, etc. We need to protect these smaller village clubs as people don't like to travel. Eastwood is a prime example with no disrespect to any club there are only 2 healthy village clubs being Beecroft and Dural, surely that isn't a good thing.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 4.52.48 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 4.52.48 pm.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 321

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
That would show just how out of touch the ARU is with community rugby. Thats roughly $10 per player, that will go straight on the fees and if it results in one or two players leaving an age group, for a smaller village club that could mean the end of the team and possibly the end of the club. No doubt there are some strong districts but there are also some that struggle with changing demographics, etc. We need to protect these smaller village clubs as people don't like to travel. Eastwood is a prime example with no disrespect to any club there are only 2 healthy village clubs being Beecroft and Dural, surely that isn't a good thing.

I have been lead to believe that the figure proposed is actually $100 per junior team and $400 per Subbies team. Neither Subbies nor SJRU were consulted i am told - both just received an notice telling them of the new charges. (incidently i don't think SJRU were asked to contribute to the Gold Cup so they didn't say no).

Apparently Subbies have already said they will not be paying this new "affiliation" fee to the ARU. And SJRU are yet to discuss it. But how could the ARU possibly think that it is going to fly to charge an under 6 team of maybe 7 or 8 players the same as an Under 16 team of 25 players?

What do you think the schools are going to say to this? i think i know the answer.

Any fee (if any at all) should have been per player - and what do we get for it? Insurance thru ARU? All teams already pay an insurance levy anyway.

I know they have no money but is this just another way to put their supporter base off-side?

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
We have been using westfield @ Fairfield what a joy it will be to travel to Campbelltown to play.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I love the concept of the JGC and i'm a strong supporter but:
Is someone playing a joke by scheduling games at 11am, Noon, 1pm, 2pm? What happened to games at 4 and 5pm or later. Come on guys it is summer the sun is up till at least 7.30pm, where is the duty of care.
How do the boys from South Harbour get to Dural Park by 6pm on a Friday night they would have to leave before school finished, I undersatnd we have to accommodate Victoria and SA, but people have jobs etc. I also understand we have to accommodate travel to country NSW but;
Midday at Bathurst could be a hot one.
I don't see any reason why the country games can not be at 8am and 9.30am. Armidale is an overnight trip anyway.
I'm sure it will all be ok and refined next year but it does raise some concerns.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I have been lead to believe that the figure proposed is actually $100 per junior team and $400 per Subbies team. Neither Subbies nor SJRU were consulted i am told - both just received an notice telling them of the new charges. (incidently i don't think SJRU were asked to contribute to the Gold Cup so they didn't say no).

Apparently Subbies have already said they will not be paying this new "affiliation" fee to the ARU. And SJRU are yet to discuss it. But how could the ARU possibly think that it is going to fly to charge an under 6 team of maybe 7 or 8 players the same as an Under 16 team of 25 players?

What do you think the schools are going to say to this? i think i know the answer.

Any fee (if any at all) should have been per player - and what do we get for it? Insurance thru ARU? All teams already pay an insurance levy anyway.

I know they have no money but is this just another way to put their supporter base off-side?

Apparently it was $200

this release just out

NSW Rugby Union maintains fees at 2013 level

The ARU yesterday announced a Club Development Levy of $200 per team across all Clubs nationally.

Sections of the media have run a story on the increased fees today without pointing out that NSW and Victorian Rugby Union would not be included.

NSW Rugby Union is pleased to advise that Participation Fees and Insurance premiums to play Rugby in New South Wales will remain the same as for 2013.

NSWRU Chairman Nick Farr-Jones and Executive Director Bruce Worboys have been in discussions with the ARU since before Christmas when it announced plans to introduce a National Development Levy on all community rugby teams.

NSW Rugby did not support the introduction of the proposed levy, concerned that increasing the costs of playing rugby for your Club would not be acceptable to our participants across the State.

As a form of compromise NSWRU has agreed that the levy for NSWRU teams will equal the savings negotiated by the ARU in the Compulsory Insurancepremiums. This means Insurance and Development
costs for NSWRU Clubs in 2014 will be the same as 2013.

“NSWRU Development Funding will now be significantly reduced and we will need to address ways of raising funds to cover the shortfall, or do things a bit differently” Chairman Nick Farr-Jones said, “we rely so much on a great network of rugby volunteers and we are confident that through proper consultation we will overcome the current problems”.

NSWRU will conduct an information and discussion session with its Affiliates next week before again communicating with all participants through their Clubs. “The main message to go out to our clubs today is that there will be no increase in fees in 2014”said Farr-Jones.

All enquiries;

Bruce Worboys

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
More pointedly: are the ARU just being deliberately inflammatory by calling it a Club Development Levy?
Is the levy what a club pays for developing talent for the ARU?
Is it a penalty for competing with the ARU and the beloved GPS schools for the right to develop talent?
Apparently Pulver was seen entranced by the Nitschke suicide machine at Mona recently:
There is an installation featuring a Phillip Nitschke
Suicide Machine that requires you to sit in a lounge room setting and simulate your own suicide. Walsh tried it out the day before the opening, and said it was hard to bring yourself to do it.
http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/01/25...w-quintessentially-aussie-if-a-little-absurd/

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
If you kill off club rugby it makes the mess they have made for themselves in relation to the junior pathway easy to fix.
I think they want kids to play till 12 at club, then all the good kids go to rugby schools and everyone else goes to league. Current problem solved, rich private schools pay for development and the ARU/super clubs can just cherry pick the talent

Status
Not open for further replies.