• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruckhard

Bob McCowan (2)
Within the Brisbane under 15's to Brisbane teams will fight it out in pool C for the winner in the group. Should be an interesting game

The other pool I believe sees Gold Coast and Brisbane yellow at the top. The lady I was talking to today was under the impression that if Gold Coast win both games by a bonus point (Which they are capable of doing) that they would go through.

Interesting to see ACT dominate its pool so far

I think the most likely outcome would be Brisbane Yellow to go through the group unbeaten and play the winners of Pink and Purple. Brisbane Orange have just been woeful and I can't see Yellow breaking a sweat beating them.

BORED

Herbert Moran (7)
I think the most likely outcome would be Brisbane Yellow to go through the group unbeaten and play the winners of Pink and Purple. Brisbane Orange have just been woeful and I can't see Yellow breaking a sweat beating them.

Looking at all the results on the ARU Website "Gold Cup Junior Rugby" and then the results/fixtures tab, it seems, with still some games to be played next weekend, like the following teams will play off in the finals:

Victoria vs ACT location TBA
Bris Purple vs WA in Perth

The winner of each of these games will then play off for the cup

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Looking at all the results on the ARU Website "Gold Cup Junior Rugby" and then the results/fixtures tab, it seems, with still some games to be played next weekend, like the following teams will play off in the finals:

I think that Vic will host the semi in both age groups as both of their team will qualify.
U15's Vic vs ACT
U17's Vic vs NWS - the ACT are a mathematical chance only if Sydney South can knock over NWS AND they get the bonus point win over Northern Inland

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

This is great to see. Any concerns that this competition would be overly Syd/Bris-centric have been unfounded which is not only great for the kids but the structure itself.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It also goes to show where all the GOOD development is taking place. It is a worry that with the largest junior player base no Sydney team is shown.

Is it politics, bad coaching or a lack of support that causes it? Or is it a question of Schools having a greater influence in hampering the development by not letting players be involved, especially in the 17's

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I know some of the coaches in Sydney are very well qualified.
You might be on to something in regards to which kids participated.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
It also goes to show where all the GOOD development is taking place. It is a worry that with the largest junior player base no Sydney team is shown.

Is it politics, bad coaching or a lack of support that causes it? Or is it a question of Schools having a greater influence in hampering the development by not letting players be involved, especially in the 17's

IMO the likely semi-finalists do not expose lack of good development in Sydney (although frequent criticisms are made as to the state of the game in Sydney, if not in this thread then certainly in others).

As Gary Owen III notes in his post # 605, in all likelihood, in the U17s Sydney North West will be one of the semi finalists, albeit that the ACT are a mathematical chance of overtaking them.

It should be remembered that WA, Vic & ACT who have all performed well during the JGC are largely comprised of players who competed at the U16s national champs in 2013.

All three teams were competitive but none of them beat either NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors in their respective pool matches during those national champs.

In the JGC the Sydney teams have been split into 4 teams. Additionally, although it might have been the ARU's wish, for various reasons (including other summer sports commitments) not many of the boys from NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors decided to participate in the JGC.

I have a son participating in one of the Sydney teams and he has enjoyed the comaraderie of playing with numerous boys whom he'd not previously met.

I am very pleased that WA, Vic & ACT have done well in the JGC. Amongst other things, it is good for broadening interest in the game. Their performances have certainly not surprised me nor I dare say anyone else who saw them compete at the national champs.

The most realistic expectation was probably that only one of the Sydney teams would make the semis and this looks like eventuating.

The dynamics are therefore a bit more complex than "politics, bad coaching or a lack of support" or "a question of Schools having a greater influence in hampering the development by not letting players be involved."

Given that this is the first year of the JGC and the "pathway landscape" is changing, perhaps there will be an increased interest from Sydney boys to take part in the JGC for 2014/15. We'll see.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
IMO the likely semi-finalists do not expose lack of good development in Sydney (although frequent criticisms are made as to the state of the game in Sydney, if not in this thread then certainly in others).

As Gary Owen III notes in his post # 605, in all likelihood, in the U17s Sydney North West will be one of the semi finalists, albeit that the ACT are a mathematical chance of overtaking them.

It should be remembered that WA, Vic & ACT who have all performed well during the JGC are largely comprised of players who competed at the U16s national champs in 2013.

All three teams were competitive but none of them beat either NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors in their respective pool matches during those national champs.

In the JGC the Sydney teams have been split into 4 teams. Additionally, although it might have been the ARU's wish, for various reasons (including other summer sports commitments) not many of the boys from NSW Schools or Sydney Juniors decided to participate in the JGC.

I have a son participating in one of the Sydney teams and he has enjoyed the comaraderie of playing with numerous boys whom he'd not previously met.

I am very pleased that WA, Vic & ACT have done well in the JGC. Amongst other things, it is good for broadening interest in the game. Their performances have certainly not surprised me nor I dare say anyone else who saw them compete at the national champs.

The most realistic expectation was probably that only one of the Sydney teams would make the semis and this looks like eventuating.

The dynamics are therefore a bit more complex than "politics, bad coaching or a lack of support" or "a question of Schools having a greater influence in hampering the development by not letting players be involved."

Given that this is the first year of the JGC and the "pathway landscape" is changing, perhaps there will be an increased interest from Sydney boys to take part in the JGC for 2014/15. We'll see.

I think that needs to be taken into account and that they have as you have alluded to been taking on essentially full strength state teams. The fact that they've been highly competitive is actually a big positive.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
So, it brings up the prospect that the Sydney teams could be gelled into Nsw 1&2, similar to qld? And country teams playing as country 1&2? Would this hurt teams from Vic, act, sa, as, that are basically state teams? If so, will this hurt the NEW pathways that the aru are trying to create? I like the Jgc. I think it's a great concept. But there are teams getting pasted due to lack of talent for that age group, and this steers players away. Hopefully with aru finances the way they are, the cost Will not rise.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you take out all the Nsw kids who decided for whatever reason not to play and divide it by 4 for Sydney - and then consider how these state teams went at the National U16s last year you would have to be drinking the ARU koolaid if you think this is going to make for a pathway with better players at the end.
It would be funny it weren't so misguided.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
As far as I can see when it comes to the northern conference u15s 3 out of 4 Brisbane teams are very competitive, along with the regional centers of the gold coast, sunshine, northern NSW and WA. I guess it will come down to the final to see if your point is valid or not. I think it might be the later though and the Sydney boys have taken the other centers a bit lightly. Time will tell. Well done to ACT and Victoria awesome effort with the player base.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is great to see. Any concerns that this competition would be overly Syd/Bris-centric have been unfounded which is not only great for the kids but the structure itself.

Might add some ginger to the NSW JRU State champs over the June Long weekend (If that is still on this year). District teams may have some points to score.

Hopefully there will be more than the usual 6 teams from Metro Sydney fronting up to the Under 17s.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why won't it improve the kids who participate?
Or is your point that there are many better players who chose not to participate?

Comes down to what is the JGC trying to achieve doesn't it.

Is this about determining who can select and coach the best team of schoolkids to victory at whatever cost it takes or is it about raising the overall standard of kids rugby in all parts of Australia?

I'm in the latter camp. There are plenty of kids in some of the 24 JGC centres that wouldn't make the Gordon Under<insert age group> rep team for State champs. These kids normally wouldn't be exposed to quality coaching, life skills, S&C, and the fun and camaraderie that they will get from JGC without moving to a major centre and making it into one of the elite rugby schools programmes.

Not saying that JCG is the equivalent to what a kid will get at Barker or Kings, but to a kid from Dubbo, Nowra or Oodnadatta, the JGC will be awesome, and may be just what is needed to keep that kid in the game, and to encourage some more of his mates to consider rugby.

The Competition is nice and gives all the training meaning, but the real gain for Australian rugby is that 700 kids, 100 coaches, managers, S&C staff, administrators and referees have been provided with an opportunity to be challenged and to develop their skills. Adults and pedants like me will remember who wins, the kids will move on pretty quickly and only remember the fun than had.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Competition is nice and gives all the training meaning, but the real gain for Australian rugby is that 700 kids, 100 coaches, managers, S&C staff, administrators and referees have been provided with an opportunity to be challenged and to develop their skills. Adults and pedants like me will remember who wins, the kids will move on pretty quickly and only remember the fun than had.

Hugh, unfortunately in one center there are many parents and players who would disagree and they can't wait for the ARU to ask for feedback.

No doubt their concerns will be glossed over and the tournament considered a success and in many ways it is ways it is. But a development pathway it is not.

When you have a team where the players call a 'secret players meeting' where they agree to have a call named 'mutiny', then you know you have issues.

The players won't forget, and not for the reasons that you think. Many will never go through it again and will follow the lead of the 'smart ones' that pulled out at the beginning.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the ARU have taken a position that the JGC is not THE development pathway for the elite. They have AAGPS and Brissie GPS for that- don't they . How many potential elite are there in South Aust compared to Sydney NW? Both areas got 1 team in the JGC.

IMHO it is about getting more kids from more non-traditional areas exposed to higher standards of footy than they will get at their School or Club environment.

We just need to make sure that Village Clubland has the names and addresses of all the JGC kids to keep them in the game during the winter with a viable and challenging competition.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I think the ARU have taken a position that the JGC is not THE development pathway for the elite. They have AAGPS and Brissie GPS for that- don't they . How many potential elite are there in South Aust compared to Sydney NW? Both areas got 1 team in the JGC.

IMHO it is about getting more kids from more non-traditional areas exposed to higher standards of footy than they will get at their School or Club environment.

We just need to make sure that Village Clubland has the names and addresses of all the JGC kids to keep them in the game during the winter with a viable and challenging competition.
HJ I think that is spot on. The ARU to my knowledge have never classified the JGC as elite. The NGS , now rebadged as NSW / qld etc under 18's is what they would see as elite, but they don't promote it that way, in fact they are very big on ensuring those boys lucky enough to be there see it a great opportunity, nothing else, and they work very hard. JGC is a development pathway that has expanded the chance for so many boys to get a higher level experience. The age groups obviously go a year under the loig h mats, and a year between that and sg ball to give those boys an option to play rugby. I agree it's sad to see the 16's go, but seriously resources and cash are scarce so something had to give. The current JGC pathway adds considerably more to the boys rugby experience than the old JGS skills sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.