• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
For the Australian Schoolboys Rugby League champs in Tamworth in July Qld had their two state teams divided into White and Maroon teams. So they were state teams, not state school, catholic school and private school teams like in NSW etc.

In the GF of the U15s Qld White and Maroon were there playing each other having soundly beaten every other team from every other state and territory.
I can't remember who won but I did hear that essentially one team was 'A' and one team was 'B'. I assume team A won the GF.

Very impressive bunch of boys even in that young age group - and I'd wager a few of those players appearing in the Qld Junior Gold Cup teams U15s & U17s.

All hail the White & Maroon - not sure why there is orange, pink and purple for Union teams.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
So they are selected from random pools - not A's B's and C's ????
Yep, that's pretty much it.
Although with the U15s it should be interesting.
Pink has the Nudgee U14A back line with a few other good players that will make them a threat in the open.
Orange has a good balance between both backs and forwards.
While purple has a forward pack that would challenge a few of the U17s. So I'll be watching with interest how these coaches play to their strengths of their squad, or concentrate on developing patterns etc.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep, that's pretty much it.
Although with the U15s it should be interesting.
Pink has the Nudgee U14A back line with a few other good players that will make them a threat in the open.
Orange has a good balance between both backs and forwards.
While purple has a forward pack that would challenge a few of the U17s. So I'll be watching with interest how these coaches play to their strengths of their squad, or concentrate on developing patterns etc.
Who do you expect to be the strongest team for brisbane this year

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Who do you expect to be the strongest team for brisbane this year
Hard question, lucky I've had a few so I'll go out on a limb.
Pink and purple are in the same group so I'll back purple in the U15s due to forwards win matches and backs by how much, darling downs could upset the apple cart. In the U17s pink.
Orange has a hard draw as Logan, Gold Coast and WA will be strong. Gold Coast for the U15s and WA for the U17s.
Purple U15s and WA U17s to be the conference winners again.
If you can get down to watch some of the games for the Brisbane U15s you'll be in for a treat as this will be the last time these boys get together before the GPS schools put them in cotton wool for the next couple of years.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I already think that some of the Brisbane schools have put their u15 players in cotton wool. A couple of stand out players from last year not named in these squads.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
I already think that some of the Brisbane schools have put their u15 players in cotton wool. A couple of stand out players from last year not named in these squads.
Frustrating to hear at times with school rugby. I understand how it fits in with the landscape of rugby over here but the ARU if their serious of filtering school/ club through this to identify its talent across all spectrums of rugby played here then they need to stand up and take the bull by the horns and say this is the pathway but to my dismay schools seem to repel or cotton wool players for what benefit 8 games a year. I believe in all forms rugby played here as I've seen talent from school and club systems just wish attitudes would change so rugby here would better than being 4 th in the world. Sorry rant over, look forward to seeing the Un15s purple as I think they've named themselves the PACK. Feb 14 can't come quick enough for this comp to kick off as I believe it will showcase the talent Australia as a collective do have coming through . Good luck to all respective supporters and their teams this year

S

sidelineview

Can someone tell me what happens from here on in with the Gold Cup squads? There are some trial matches this Sunday at Bathurst. Is up to date info published on any websites?

S

sidelineview

Can someone tell me what happens from here on in with the Gold Cup squads? There are some trial matches this Sunday at Bathurst. Is up to date info published on any websites?

Info from facebook page 'NSW Junior Gold'
The Junior Gold Cup Comp starts 14-15 Feb. Goes for 5 weeks until 14-15 March.
What Rep teams are chosen from the tournament?

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Info from facebook page 'NSW Junior Gold'
The Junior Gold Cup Comp starts 14-15 Feb. Goes for 5 weeks until 14-15 March.
What Rep teams are chosen from the tournament?
To my understanding a Junior Gold NSW and QLD teams are selected for both age groups who then go on to play each other at Easter or around that time.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Frustrating to hear at times with school rugby. I understand how it fits in with the landscape of rugby over here but the ARU if their serious of filtering school/ club through this to identify its talent across all spectrums of rugby played here then they need to stand up and take the bull by the horns and say this is the pathway but to my dismay schools seem to repel or cotton wool players for what benefit 8 games a year. I believe in all forms rugby played here as I've seen talent from school and club systems just wish attitudes would change so rugby here would better than being 4 th in the world. Sorry rant over, look forward to seeing the Un15s purple as I think they've named themselves the PACK. Feb 14 can't come quick enough for this comp to kick off as I believe it will showcase the talent Australia as a collective do have coming through . Good luck to all respective supporters and their teams this year

I think there are many frustrating things about our game here in Oz right now. However the structure of Junior rugby is quite different here to NZ. Speaking with someone over there recently he explained that pretty much all the talent in NZ comes through the school system and club in juniors is seen as a pretty weak part of the game, at a junior level. The argument of the ARU having any directive over private schools just will never happen. In fact given the status of the game the ARU should feel blessed that the private system supports the game to the extent they do, as it is just one of 25-35 co-curricular opportunities they offer. Schools on the whole are not cotton wooling boys up to the 15's. The landscape dose however change a lot in the opens where the stronger players are playing 1's and 2's. The demand for the athlete over the ARU's time period for the JGC comes more as a result of boys playing summer sport. It is very common for good rugby players to also be good at summer sports. So when it comes to prioritizing boys time and interest across summer, most families and boys just want to do something different with there time, which frankly is healthy. But to your point about the JGC, my view is that it is absolutely the best outcome for many of the so called better players not to participate in the 17's JGC. It opens up opportunity for so many boys that may not have had that chance to play and be screened by the ARU. The ARU obviously watch the school competition games, and that the allows them to watch boys across both pathways. If we are honest about offering as many boys as possible a pathway and exposure, then really isn't it better that there exists 2 perceived pathways allowing a greater number of boys that opportunity?

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
This Sunday? There were some last Sunday in Mudgee. Western region has training this Sunday in Orange. But this is the first I'd heard of Bathurst.

First matches are 13/14 Feb as far as I'm aware.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think there are many frustrating things about our game here in Oz right now. However the structure of Junior rugby is quite different here to NZ. Speaking with someone over there recently he explained that pretty much all the talent in NZ comes through the school system and club in juniors is seen as a pretty weak part of the game, at a junior level. The argument of the ARU having any directive over private schools just will never happen. In fact given the status of the game the ARU should feel blessed that the private system supports the game to the extent they do, as it is just one of 25-35 co-curricular opportunities they offer. Schools on the whole are not cotton wooling boys up to the 15's. The landscape dose however change a lot in the opens where the stronger players are playing 1's and 2's. The demand for the athlete over the ARU's time period for the JGC comes more as a result of boys playing summer sport. It is very common for good rugby players to also be good at summer sports. So when it comes to prioritizing boys time and interest across summer, most families and boys just want to do something different with there time, which frankly is healthy. But to your point about the JGC, my view is that it is absolutely the best outcome for many of the so called better players not to participate in the 17's JGC. It opens up opportunity for so many boys that may not have had that chance to play and be screened by the ARU. The ARU obviously watch the school competition games, and that the allows them to watch boys across both pathways. If we are honest about offering as many boys as possible a pathway and exposure, then really isn't it better that there exists 2 perceived pathways allowing a greater number of boys that opportunity?

some very good points. if you are a boarder and do not play for a club( TSS, NC ,BBC have many) you dont get selected??? or looked at.
These schools had 3/4s of their A teams as boarders.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
some very good points. if you are a boarder and do not play for a club( TSS, NC ,BBC have many) you dont get selected??? or looked at.
These schools had 3/4s of their A teams as boarders.
No, any boy could apply to trial. There are a number of league boys and borders involved in the JGC.
Also I'm not sure what A teams you're referring to but the ones I've been involved with and watch certainly would be no where near that ratio, in fact would be the other way round, or less.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
abf0ec81c047658d1765ad88ebc85c59.jpg

Subject to change & doesn't include most Qld team games

Status
Not open for further replies.