• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
does anyone know the U17's Illawarra - Victoria score from today?
The score was 38-5... Vic side was huge and mobile with an excellent back line... Based on what I've seen of the other teams in the pool they are easily the best and they shouldn't have any trouble topping the pool. Illawarras tough forwards stepped up with strong performances in the scrum and at the breakdown but scrappy uncontrolled passes and dropped balls saw the Illawarra lads constantly scrambling against a very well drilled attack.

Magilla

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thanks for the update Azzuri. I think a few people have underestimate the Victorian side. I saw them play the Sydney Juniors team at Nationals last year and they went down 20-15, they also beat the Brumbies 45-5. They are a good side and will be very tough to beat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It would be a good thing developmentally for the game in Victoria if they were to win the U17 championship. Good luck to them.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
It would be a good thing developmentally for the game in Victoria if they were to win the U17 championship. Good luck to them.
Totally agree... I don't doubt the Vic teams ability to make the semi's and if they go one step further one of the key developmental objectives of the JGC will have a nice fat tick next to it

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
there have always been some very good junior rugby players in victoria, even in my day (late 60's - early 70's). until the rebels there has been only one option if you wanted to "kick on" as a rugby player, that was to go interstate.
originally that meant Queensland usually, later on the ACT.
now the young kids, increasingly of PI heritage, are able to stay in victoria and pursue a pathway. numerically there will always be 5 to 6 good players in NSW/Qld to every one in Victoria, but hey you can only play 15 at a time, luckily.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
there have always been some very good junior rugby players in victoria, even in my day (late 60's - early 70's). until the rebels there has been only one option if you wanted to "kick on" as a rugby player, that was to go interstate.
originally that meant Queensland usually, later on the ACT.
now the young kids, increasingly of PI heritage, are able to stay in victoria and pursue a pathway. numerically there will always be 5 to 6 good players in NSW/Qld to every one in Victoria, but hey you can only play 15 at a time, luckily.

Very similar in almost every respect in WA. The advent of the Western Force and associated pathways has been huge for the standard of the Game. Representation in National Schoolboys, Schoolboys A and U20's seems to be lifting by the year.

Some results from last night not up on the ARU site yet:

U15 Brisbane Yellow 7 defeated WA 6
U17 Brisbane Yellow 7 defeated by WA 33

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So roughly half way through its launch season, how is everyone who's involved on the sideline assessing its success in terms of quality of competition and the benefits being provided to the players?

Is 24 centres a few too many or just right?

Lots of questions could be asked.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
U15's ACT were far too strong for Hunter although they put up a good fight for the first 15 minutes.

U17's Hunter 19 defeated ACT 5

and for those of you are wondering...... yes the that ball was dropped over the line as the player went to put it down for the third try :oops:

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Tonight's results from Gold Coast:

U15 Gold Coast 12 defeated WA 6.
Winning try minutes from time to inflict WA's second heart breaker in 2 days.

U17 Gold Coast 5 defeated by WA 15.
GC played 35 minutes with 14 men after a red card in the first half. Would have been really close if both sides were playing with 15, especially with WA playing their 3rd game in 4 days!

Rampage

Frank Row (1)
Tonight's results from Gold Coast:

U15 Gold Coast 12 defeated WA 6.
Winning try minutes from time to inflict WA's second heart breaker in 2 days.

U17 Gold Coast 5 defeated by WA 15.
GC played 35 minutes with 14 men after a red card in the first half. Would have been really close if both sides were playing with 15, especially with WA playing their 3rd game in 4 days!

WA 3 from 3 so far.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
In the U17's on paper it looks like WA, Victoria, Brisbane Purple and Sydney North West.

Just about as a broad a geographic coverage as you could manage if that plays out! I guess you could swap Cairns for Brisbane Purple to spread the thing out still further ... BUT ... still a lot of rugby to go.

The ARU have not always got things right in recent times :oops: but I have to say credit due on this comp. Marshalling 600 odd U17's round the country cannot have been easy.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
U15's ACT were far too strong for Hunter although they put up a good fight for the first 15 minutes.

U17's Hunter 19 defeated ACT 5

and for those of you are wondering.. yes the that ball was dropped over the line as the player went to put it down for the third try :oops:
Well done to the Hunter 17's - the ACT team was meant to be one of the favourites by all accounts.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well done to the Hunter 17's - the ACT team was meant to be one of the favourites by all accounts.

On paper they looked good and from what I had saw at the nationals last year and the Hunter's previous games I thought they would win it. Hunters backs fired up and some beautiful passing from one side of the field to the other saw them score twice down the right wing. ACT kept pushing but a beautiful break by the Hunter #1 down the left hand side and a beautiful ball to the #15 saw the third try in the making. As I said earlier the ball was dropped over the line and the player jumped up and down in dismay only for the official to award the try.

There was an air of expectation that the ACT would fight back and they did at times but only managed the one try. As for the ACT's #11 that was talked about....well yes he is a good player like so many more out there. He made a beautiful run to cut through the defence and a lovely step on the fullback but was cut down by an equally beautiful cover tackle by the Hunter #9. Unfortunately one player doesn't make a team and what you can do at one level doesn't mean you can do it at the next level up. Good luck to him as it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
My apologies but one of the last videos was set to private. All good now :).

Does anyone know why when I click on a post to reply to, why the quote doesn't come up? It does on my ipad but not on my laptop. :confused: No doubt there is some simple explanation but I haven't had time to dig for it yet.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My apologies but one of the last videos was set to private. All good now :).

Does anyone know why when I click on a post to reply to, why the quote doesn't come up? It does on my ipad but not on my laptop. :confused: No doubt there is some simple explanation but I haven't had time to dig for it yet.
Yeah use Google Chrome and it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom