• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU should have a look at Karmichael Hunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

From what I remember of him in the NRL I reckon he'd be a great 13 but I've said the same about Izzy and maintain that until he's tried there.

He could play 12, 13 or 15 at a pinch. He has always had a strong tactical kicking game, which is why people want him to play 15.

T

Train Without a Station

Ultimately would be a great 12 I think, but would take some time to really adjust and offer the second playmaking option the wallabies need.

T

tranquility

I don't think we can compare the 2012 Beale to 2014 Izzy.

And ultimately talent has to be negotiated with that in mind. How can they both afford to, and not get offside senior players and non contracted players if they offer an immediate top up for a player who becomes a bench player?I honestly believe he'd be one of the best 15 players in aus.

At the end of 2012 Mike Harris was playing fullback and Beale hadn't been in top form since 2010. This year Izzy is a priority and only improved from a great 2013.

If you were the CEO of the ARU, and didn't sign Karmichael because you already had Israel, you would be a laughing stock. There are so many reason to sign him.

1. He would be just the player to help QLD in a multitude of positions.
2. The media it would generate in QLD would be enormous.
3. He has already proven he can play rugby at a very high standard.
4. He is 27 and has an outstanding professional reputation.
5. He has come from two very professional and successful environments.
6. Israel can break.
7. Oh, and he could be a bloody good Wallaby too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Worth a look if it doesn't break the bank. I think the days of just opening the wallet up to league players are gone, but if he can be acquired at the right price then why not. He's already played rugby in France so we know he can do a bit already. I'd have him in the centres or at fullback.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry fellas. I don't really care how good he is. Spend the money on our own first. The truth is we have thrown too much money to mungo's over the years with limited results ( Wendell , Lote, Tahu, Matt R). Honestly the money would be better spent keeping some of our kids who are unsigned to franchises from going to the mungo U20's. We need to broaden the base fellas not make the top pointier. But, then again, WTF would I know.

T

Train Without a Station

Mate you are way out of touch. Played either aus or qld schoolboys and has played top 14. Also adapted for more seamlessly than SBW. Would clearly adapt quite well. His NRL experience has shown his quality as an athlete and his skills.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't think that getting KH on a reasonable contract prevents us from also giving opportunities to young blokes coming up through the ranks. We've got five Super rugby franchises so there won't be many blokes missing out if they're good enough.

T

tranquility

Mate you are way out of touch. Played either aus or qld schoolboys and has played top 14. Also adapted for more seamlessly than SBW. Would clearly adapt quite well. His NRL experience has shown his quality as an athlete and his skills.

He played QLD schools as a 15 year old, and played Australian schoolboys league as a 16 year old despite being the best player in the QLD GPS by the length of a tennis court. He played for the Broncos as a 17 year old as the youngest ever debutant.

Almost 2 old

Chris McKivat (8)
I am quite aware of who he has played for when and where. He has and is very much use to playing in domestic competitions not competitions that involve long and extended travel commitments that far exceed anything that he would have previously encountered. Also as you stated he is 27.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry fellas. I don't really care how good he is. Spend the money on our own first. The truth is we have thrown too much money to mungo's over the years with limited results ( Wendell , Lote, Tahu, Matt R). Honestly the money would be better spent keeping some of our kids who are unsigned to franchises from going to the mungo U20's. We need to broaden the base fellas not make the top pointier. But, then again, WTF would I know.

Those players leave not because the ARU doesn't have money for them but because there's no contracts for them to start with. How does Hunt's signing change that?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Give him a run in the NRC for one of the QLD teams and if he cuts the mustard, the ARU can buy him a sandwich.

It's not a hard-sell; play in a World Cup, maybe an Olympics, then play out your days with Izzy and Mourad getting paid squillions.

T

tranquility

I am quite aware of who he has played for when and where. He has and is very much use to playing in domestic competitions not competitions that involve long and extended travel commitments that far exceed anything that he would have previously encountered. Also as you stated he is 27.

So you're saying don't nab him because he isn't used to the travel? Do you know how long an NRL season is? When you factor in Origin as well? Do you realise he played 3 professional sports in a 12 month period at the very highest level? Without an offseason. No other athlete has ever done in in recent time, on any continent across any sports.

The fact that he is 27, is amazing. He has atleast 5 years of peak rugby ahead of him.

I can't sell this any harder. He would be such a good signing.

I'm gone.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know what you mean, but to broaden the base requires an overhaul of the private school system which we can't do without more money. And that means the Wallabies have to start winning to bring in the moolah

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I guess the question is how much he would cost given the NRL and French Rugby are after him. Though I don't think the ARU would necessarily have to make the top offer, just a competitive one.

He'd be a great option for the Olympics Sevens given his skill set and the added fitness base he'll have gained from AFL. That's a big factor in the ARU's favour and one I hope they push.

K

KAOPointman

I think the only reason you wouldn't think its a GREAT idea to bring KH to the reds.......is because he's not coming to your club! ;)
Just think of the media and ticket sales boost alone at the reds......not that they're bad by any stretch, but he'd be easily worth his money.....espescially at the reds first. Then we can see about wallabies contention. (Centres for sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.