• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU take over the Western Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Talent is there. Wobs are always competitive, something that requires depth - its the franchise coaching. How many players go from crap at super level to giants in Yellow/gold. that can't all be down to national pride.

Qld/NSW would have more registered players than almost any other franchise (guess) - and only have 2 titles between them

Oh - a competitive 3rd tier would help too...... to stop the deer in headlight effect all our debutants seem to have

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bad luck Eastern Staters we are here to stay! Your happy enough to take all our GST revenue, well you can put up with our crappy, beige, pasty, gormless rugby..AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!

.who said that :oops:

Eastern states are propping up the whole of the west up at the moment. Iron ore is dead and you are shown to be the banana republic we all knew you were. Get out early Moono, nothing will be left of the dust bowl in 10 years.

M

Moono75

Eastern states are propping up the whole of the west up at the moment. Iron ore is dead and you are shown to be the banana republic we all knew you were. Get out early Moono, nothing will be left of the dust bowl in 10 years.

we still have beer.......and beer is enough

M

Moono75

You still have HRH Prince Leonard of Hutt River
Maybe he could chuck in a few pennies from the royal coffers

Rumours Force mascot Westie the Swan has been seen late at night in town rolling beggars for change, shaking down buskers and that he's just waiting for the next US Navy ship to come into port to make some real money are entirely unfounded. OH WESTIE say it ain't SO!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rumours Force mascot Westie the Swan has been seen late at night in town rolling beggars for change, shaking down buskers and that he's just waiting for the next US Navy ship to come into port to make some real money are entirely unfounded. OH WESTIE say it ain't SO!

Sounds like Westie is a Cob - a tough 'un

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Talent is there. Wobs are always competitive, something that requires depth - its the franchise coaching. How many players go from crap at super level to giants in Yellow/gold. that can't all be down to national pride.

Qld/NSW would have more registered players than almost any other franchise (guess) - and only have 2 titles between them

Oh - a competitive 3rd tier would help too.. to stop the deer in headlight effect all our debutants seem to have
Qld have 4 super rugby titles.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qld have 4 super rugby titles.

Not according to SANZAAR...........

STATISTICS

Roll of Honour

Super 12

1996 Blues
1997 Blues
1998 Crusaders
1999 Crusaders
2000 Crusaders
2001 Brumbies
2002 Crusaders
2003 Blues
2004 Brumbies
2005 Crusaders

Super 14

2006 Crusaders
2007 Bulls
2008 Crusaders
2009 Bulls
2010 Bulls

Super Rugby

2011 Reds
2012 Chiefs
2013 Chiefs
2014 Waratahs
2015 Highlanders

Or Wiki...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Rugby_champions

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know you think Super rugby couldn't exist without your precious Brumbies but it did.

That was a different competition......

The first incarnation of the current competition began in 1996, according to those who run it............. :p

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That was a different competition..

The first incarnation of the current competition began in 1996, according to those who run it..... :p

Only because the ticks on the arse on Rugby didn't suck blood at the level they could after 1995, they therefore deny the game existed prior to that point. Super Rugby started with the Competition known as Super 6.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

That's a pretty good troll, well played.

M

Moono75

Nothing grows without nurturing and we are now seeing the results of having done little to nothing.

In 2006 the ARU effectively established a 'beach head' here in the West, putting a few troops on the ground to establish a presence in enemy territory and link up with the local militia, hoping they would be hard chargers, break out and establish a firm foothold. But like all arm chair generals watching from afar, they forgot to commit the tanks and artillery to support the troops and inevitably the initial battle was lost. The war, however is still there to be won.

How different would things have been if the ARU had invested in the Force when it first began and gone all out to ensure it was a success. Wins put bums on seats, sells memberships, creates a community profile, garners media attention and helps attract sponsorship investment. Unfortunately the ARU were too happy for the Firepower's and Emirates of the world do the initial heavy lifting and we are now in the position of having to spend far more to reclaim lost ground than if a smaller considered investment was made in the beginning.

Now its all well and good to speculate on things, but we can't turn back time and all the 'should of, could of' talk is pure speculation and serves little purpose other than allowing us to sling mud across state lines at each other.

Moving ahead the ARU needs to consider what it truly wants for Rugby in Australia. They can shut up shop and pool their resources in the rugby heartlands and hope that this is enough to stay off the encroachment of AFL, League and Soccer OR they can embrace their national footprint, which if supported and done correctly could turn into a cash cow for them.

Invest in the product you have, make it a truly great high quality spectacle..SUPER you might say, by ensuring the stakeholders (the 5 teams) are given the resources to compete on a level playing field. At the moment the profile of Super Rugby seems to revolve around being a feeder system for the Wallabies instead of being viewed as a stand alone kick ass product able to compete on the Australian sporting landscape.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Moonoo all well and good but JON and Flowers managed to piss the once in a lifetime windfall of the 2033RWC up the wall totally by investing in the bigger cash trough at head office. The money is gone, they are all broke. Where is the investment going to come from?

This is the argument I have against the ARC and NRC. Long term I do not see either iteration being sustainable and it amounts to not only cash lost, but good will, time and opportunity lost.

I know it doesn't make me popular but I just don't see a future for the Force (or the Rebels) under the current structure. Indeed the way things are going with viewership/attendance in Oz I don't know that the competition has future in it current or next future expansion. Lets not forget that there have been market reports of Foxtel's biggest single shareholder (Telstra) looking to ditch its stake in the company so the media market is going to change greatly in the next few years and a big question mark is there over the dollars that will be available to support a high cost competition like the current multi conference one we have.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gnostic, what would be your alternative to the NRC for the long term pathway to Super/Test rugby? I personally think that if we are to maintain our competitiveness at international level, we can't just have the massive jump from Shute/Premier rugby to S18 like we've had. That to me is the unsustainable model.

M

Moono75

Perhaps we need to look at moving back to Super 10 involving just Australia & NZ, reduced travel costs. The competition has become bloated, less super and trying to strike an amicable deal involving Australian, NZ and South African Rugby is burdensome. Provide each Super Rugby teams naming rights sponsors with the opportunity for exposure at the Test level at a level below the key Wallabies sponsor. They are after all supporting Australian Rugby but at a lower tier. Surely someone can do their homework and look at how the AFL are doing it right and adapt that to Rugby.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
moving back to Super 10 involving just Australia & NZ, reduced travel costs.
NZ won't go for that anytime soon (as in ditch the saffers).

But we are part way to a Trans-Tasman comp anyway. The Force play 1 game in SA and 1 in Japan.

The other 13 matches are in Australia or NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.