1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2019

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by RugbyReg, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Brumby Runner Phil Kearns (64)

Being vice captain of the Aussie team has been a kiss of death forever and a day Spruce.
  2. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Geoff Marsh was vice-captain for 4 years so maybe you only see the benefit of holding the position a generation later?
    Spruce Moose likes this.
  3. Spruce Moose Allen Oxlade (6)

Very true, Cummins being the exception that proves the rule
  4. The_Brown_Hornet David Codey (61)

Ummmm, WTF? Selection and then BOWLING first? What the hell were they thinking?
    Hound likes this.
  5. John S Watty Friend (18)

Yeah I know. It sounds like a flat track that even Warner can get runs on.
  6. Spruce Moose Allen Oxlade (6)

Well happy to put my hand up, was definitely wrong regarding Marsh. Very impressive bowling today by him, expect that we will be seeing more of him this summer. Guess it will be Head vs Wade for that number 5 position.
  7. Up the Guts John Thornett (49)

Haha, Marsh proving us all wrong. Despite always getting the rub of the green with his selections, he seems like a top bloke so I can’t begrudge him the success.
    Hound likes this.
  8. Lindommer Andrew Slack (58)

One short burst of wicket-taking doesn't cement Mitch's spot in the team next series. I sincerely hope the selectors aren't tempted to go down the F U Watson route: one bright moment keeps him in for a long series of mediocre performances.

Marsh succumbing to a dodgy hammy and not completing an over, to be finished by Cummins, led to a delightful piece of prose on cricinfo. It went like this, ' "so basically a bowler who was brought in to cover other bowlers went off and other bowlers will cover that bowler now?" Yes, and the cover bowler has outbowled the bowlers he was supposed to cover, apart from the bowler who is now covering for the cover bowler'.
    Hound likes this.
  9. The_Brown_Hornet David Codey (61)

Mitch is a top bloke to be sure, though I don't reckon he's quite good enough to play test cricket. He did well out there overnight though. Apparently he just had some cramp and will be able to bowl again.

The result of day one isn't too bad considering all the damage we did to ourselves. Let us count the ways:

• Selection
    • Bowling first on a flat deck
    • Dropping numerous catches
    Hound likes this.
  10. barbarian Michael Lynagh (62)

Shane Watson's record looks better and better as time goes on though. He'd walk into this team - bats at 35, bowls at 33, at very least you'd put him at six. His reliable 20- and 30-odds are just what we need right now.

I'm a Watson truther though, so I do admit I'm a bit one-eyed.
    Sully likes this.
  11. Sully John Eales (66)

Siddle for Starc is the head scratcher thiugh. No wickets and went for plenty. In for a guy who betted and bowled pretty well.
    Hound and Up the Guts like this.
  12. Finsbury Girl Johnnie Wallace (23)

Those 2 off Pat were absolute sitters. What was little Timmy thinking on his, was regulation for Davey.

Banana man was poor indeed. Starc should be very dirty.

Yeah one spell does not a career make (unless your surname is Marsh it seems)…….
  13. Lindommer Andrew Slack (58)

• Getting an LBW on a no ball.:mad:
  14. Tex Chilla Wilson (44)

Or Archer
  15. Finsbury Girl Johnnie Wallace (23)

Yet another woeful effort with the bat (Smudge excepted natch).

I hope they rethink for the summer.
  16. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

I think (hope?) Paine retires after this series. I am not sure who will captain (with the next most likely being Ussie and Head, both being bumped) but Carey coming in as keeper makes that batting lineup look better
  17. The_Brown_Hornet David Codey (61)

Again we shoot ourselves in the foot with a dreadful batting display. Ahead of the Aussie summer we need to have a good hard look at the batting order. Smith and Labuschagne are certs, but I'm not sure anyone else is.
  18. Up the Guts John Thornett (49)

Yep, Paine should definitely retire on a high. Captaincy is a bit of a quandary but you can easily have someone as the nominal captain while Smith is helping run the show from first slip.
  19. Up the Guts John Thornett (49)

You'd have to think Burns, Patterson, and Pucovski are all good shouts. No better time to blood new players than on flatter wickets against Pakistan.
  20. The_Brown_Hornet David Codey (61)

Yep, would go along with that. Clean house and get some new players into that batting order. Burns would help shore up the top order and Pucovski looks a super talent. Patterson needs some runs early in the FC season though, because he tailed off at the end of last season.