• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Auckland Blues To Infinity and Beyond

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ I don't buy poor unwitting victim either but there's potentially some cultural issues in play here as well so I'll withhold final judgement until the B sample results are in. That said, if the B sample is positive then whether it's pharmaceutical or herbal he's accountable for it, no question there.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tuipulotu cleared as the B sample was clear.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11797676

Still not mentioned what it was to start with.

Moot point now, surely? A better question might be how did the lab that tested the A sample get it wrong? Drug Free Sport NZ's head honcho reckons it's a 1-in-10,000 occurrence:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...tu-cleared-of-drugs-charge-and-can-join-blues

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By geez that is absolutely shit!! There would be a few people around the place needing to eat their words, I personally feel for the poor bugger going through this shit for last while, and stuff everyone I believe the NZRU were right to keep it under wraps as long as possible after seeing the shit his name has been pulled through in last week or so.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
WADA and Six Nations have launched a review into the case to determine the discrepancy between the A and B samples.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm sorry, if you get to the All Blacks' level, you know how it works. ANYTHING you take has to be vetted. Stupidity / oversight etc is no defence. I'm sure it will be fluffed to make him look the poor unwitting victim, but I just don't buy it.

Lol well they certainly have fluffed it to make him look like an unwitting victim haven't they Cyclo;) , but fortunately we know you not buying it:p.

don't worry I taking the mick!!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
By geez that is absolutely shit!! There would be a few people around the place needing to eat their words, I personally feel for the poor bugger going through this shit for last while, and stuff everyone I believe the NZRU were right to keep it under wraps as long as possible after seeing the shit his name has been pulled through in last week or so.

Agree with you up to a point BUT it's so rare for a positive A sample to be followed by a clear B sample I can understand why people might've just assumed he was guilty as charged. Can't agree re. NZRU (& NZRPA) keeping it quiet, I'm still strongly of the view that the statement they issued on Sunday should've come out in November with "a player" & "the player" in place of PT's name & an unequivocal "no further comment until the B sample result is known, as anything we say may tend to identify the player & breach his right to privacy" or some such.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree with you up to a point BUT it's so rare for a positive A sample to be followed by a clear B sample I can understand why people might've just assumed he was guilty as charged. Can't agree re. NZRU (& NZRPA) keeping it quiet, I'm still strongly of the view that the statement they issued on Sunday should've come out in November with "a player" & "the player" in place of PT's name & an unequivocal "no further comment until the B sample result is known, as anything we say may tend to identify the player & breach his right to privacy" or some such.
Good to see someone who understands the process. In the same way that previously "cleared" samples from years back are found to not be clear with better testing techniques. These are scientific assays, so it was far more likely that he was going to be in strife than not. I'm prepared to admit I was wrong. Obviously some, Dan54 springs to mind, knew all along, eh?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good to see someone who understands the process. In the same way that previously "cleared" samples from years back are found to not be clear with better testing techniques. These are scientific assays, so it was far more likely that he was going to be in strife than not. I'm prepared to admit I was wrong. Obviously some, Dan54 springs to mind, knew all along, eh?

No I didn't Cyclo, I just old fashioned and don't believe in hanging anyone until they have been proved guilty, I have said it in all cases where someone has tested positive from whatever sport or country, it's the old he's innocent until scenario!! I understand that it is very unusual for B sample to be different, but it concerns me that people are maligned for something they apparently didn't do. If you prefer to go other way well up to you mate,it no criticism of you, or WOB etc who inferred he may have been taking pills to help with reproduction etc, just don't think it needs to be out there for speculation until such time as there is something been done wrong!! Also believe it would of taken a nano second to realise who had tested positive with PT coming home and not training if NZRU followed WOB's idea.
I wonder how any of us would of enjoyed it?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

It's already been pointed out that such a statement would immediately identify the player in question. Further to that, WADA regulations also seemingly strictly control the release on any information.

.....[the NZRU's] hands and those of the NZRPA and Drug Free Sport New Zealand were tied by the strict confidentiality required under Wada regulations.

Fairfax understands the level of strictness during the process is so great that even members of the NZR board may not have known about the failed test until they read about it on Stuff.

Only a media leak will result in any public comment being made, and then only if it's deemed the story or speculation could get out of control without comment and it's in the best interests to make comment.

NZR were in a position where it is understood they wanted to front-foot the failed test from early on, but were told they couldn't. And because World Rugby provisionally suspends players for 'Specified Substance' breaches while other codes do not, we had the messy situation whereby an All Black was sent home from a tour, and all we get is the "personal issues" line to explain his absence.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...r-coverup-of-patrick-tuipulotus-positive-test

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ didn't seem to in this case:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/two-south-african-players-test-positive/

Or others over the years, this being merely my first "hit". Bear in mind also that PT came home at roughly the same time as Cane & Smith, not to mention the steady stream of other players at various levels reported as having injuries of various severity requiring surgery and/or R&R. Sure, plenty of people would've pointed the finger at PT but just as many would've said "yeah, nah, it's not him it's [...]".

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep but once again WOB, I say anyone following their rugby team will know who these players are, they won't be able to be training with teams etc, and the same applies in their case.
The biggest thing that worries me is why does it take so long for a 'B' sample to be tested, this would take away most of the problem I talking about.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
“Of all the beautiful truths pertaining to the soul that have been restored and brought to light in this age, none is more gladdening or fruitful of divine promise and confidence than this—that you are the master of your thought, the molder of your character, and the maker and shaper of your condition, environment and destiny. This master of thought for this age is Tana of the Umaga’s.”

--As A Man Thinketh.

After one match of this 2017 season I can safely say Coach Umaga is looking at a Sir Alex Ferguson length tenure of glorious governance.

Auckland Blues fan 25 years from now:

ahh.jpg

“But have we got a succession plan in place? HAVE WE?”

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So last night we got some Polynesian b-ball & a coupla Paremoremo jailbreaks. Today we get the "All Hail King Tana". When can we expect the "WFT happened to our season?" :)