• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Auckland Blues To Infinity and Beyond

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Edit: vid inexplicably doesn't show the sideline conversion nor the *salute* to the appreciative Cantab crowd"
TJ mustve smashed into the broadcasting truck and edited it

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Auckland Blues Midseason Executive Scouting Report:

Alex Hodgman: plays the prop position
Kurt Eklund: him getting his shit well and truly together has to be one of the reasons for the Blues resurgence. Last we'll see of Alan Parsons thank fuck
Ofa Tuungafasi: straight up murdering people now. Fuck Joe Moody, it's Ofa Time
Patrick Tuipulotu: needs a breaaaaak. still killing it though. AB #1 Lock now, ahead of Semi Brainfade Sunset Time White Lock and BBBR Sabbatical who will come back old and rickety as shit
Gerard Cowley-Tuioti: still lightweight and short but really come on with honing his core tasks. another Blues resurgencerer.
Blake Gibson: played 60 minutes on the weekend without breaking. Incredible.
Dalton Papalii: has to be part of the AB blindside logjam. His tackling is what the newly tenured AB captain used to do
Akira Ioane: fucks me off. people see "fat lazy islander" but he's slogging his guts out, playing tight and killing it
Finlay Christie: you can't drop a guy for having a silly hairdo then pick a ranga instead. that dont make no sense
Beauden Barrett: sorry BB you're a 15. not a 10. telegraphed shovel passes = not a 10. Plus, it pains me to say, but Mounga is hell on stilts right now and doing what you used to do in 2015.
Caleb Clarke: getting better and betterrrrr. fuck Gorge Briiiiiiiiiiidge
TJ Faiane: top decision maker. Just keep Captain Darling Plummer on the bench please thanks General Leon Malchick
Rieko Ioane: AB centre. Goodhue hype machine had its shot and got turnstiled. IT'S TIME. 10-YEAR TENUUUUUURE
Mark Telea: can't catch. DO NOT SELECT THIS MAN FOR THE ALL BLACKS
Matt Duffie: senior pro still doing the biz. god knows how he made the AB's though

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
TACKLES WON SRA 2 rounds to go

1 Dalton Papali'i Blues 72
2= Du'Plessis Kirifi Hurricanes 65
2= Dillon Hunt Highlanders 65
4 Lachlan Boshier Chiefs 59
5= Akira Ioane Blues 56
5= Alex Hodgman Blues 56
5 down, 3 across Shannon Frizell Highlanders 56
5= Ofa Tu'ungafasi Blues 56
5= Reed Prinsep Hurricanes 56
10 Patrick Tuipulotu Blues 55

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
TACKLES WON SRA 2 rounds to go

1 Dalton Papali'i Blues 72
2= Du'Plessis Kirifi Hurricanes 65
2= Dillon Hunt Highlanders 65
4 Lachlan Boshier Chiefs 59
5= Akira Ioane Blues 56
5= Alex Hodgman Blues 56
5 down, 3 across Shannon Frizell Highlanders 56
5= Ofa Tu'ungafasi Blues 56
5= Reed Prinsep Hurricanes 56
10 Patrick Tuipulotu Blues 55

Geez if those useless Blues forwards did their jobs and won a bit more second phase ball they wouldn't have to tackle so much ;)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Geez if those useless Blues forwards did their jobs and won a bit more second phase ball they wouldn't have to tackle so much ;)

meidcolour.png
meidcolour.png

meidcolour.png
meidcolour.png

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Crusaders tears at losing a promising young lock to the Blues are great.

Now the poaching kings know how it feels.

"It ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun"

“We gave him every opportunity to stay, but he wasn't willing to stay here and compete, and he's taken another path.’’ Robertson said.

“It would be quite nice if the Blues gave us a cheque for the expenditure we’ve occurred, that would be quite nice,’’ he quipped.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...very-chance-to-sign-before-he-opted-for-blues

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Blues have made an important addition to their loose forward stock with the signing of standout Highlanders loose forward and North Harbour skipper Dillon Hunt.

Hunt, who has played the last four Super Rugby seasons with the Highlanders, has decided to return “home” to Auckland to continue his professional career. He has signed a two-year deal with the Auckland-based franchise.

The impressive openside, who topped the tackle count in Super Rugby Aotearoa after a strong campaign for the Highlanders, plays his provincial rugby for North Harbour and came up through the Harbour and Blues development system before heading south to launch his career at franchise level.

He will bolster an imposing loose forward unit at the Blues which includes rising young star Hoskins Sotutu, the rejuvenated Akira Ioane, fringe All Black Dalton Papalii, utility man Tom Robinson and the highly respected Blake Gibson.

For Blues coach Leon MacDonald another hard-working loosie represents a key addition to his squad as they look to go one better than their runnerup position in Super Rugby Aotearoa this year.

“Dillon is a quality performer with a high workrate and it’s good to have him back home,” said MacDonald. “Loose forwards operate in a high impact area of the game, so we need quality depth.

“As captain of North Harbour, he will also bring his leadership qualities to the group.”

Hunt, who has made two appearances for the All Blacks including a test debut against Japan in 2018, said the move to the Blues felt like a natural fit for him.

“it is about coming home to play my rugby. My partner and family are both in Auckland which was a big motivator for me,” he said. “I grew up watching the Blues and I have always been a big fan, so this is an exciting opportunity for me.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...rward-dillon-hunt-signs-2year-deal-with-blues

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
LOL@ THE WORM STARTING TO TURN NOW. The Blues now a destination for promising rugby players. No longer a graveyard of broken dreams, comical ineptitude and taunting from the 6-fingered hamlet people down south.

COMING AFTER YOU ALL.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Bloody good signing, you have to wonder how much game time Hunt will get, they got a bloody impressive loose forward mix at Blues now.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
“For me it is about coming home to play my rugby. My partner ..... [is] in Auckland which was a big motivator for me,” said Hunt.

Pretty sure I've discerned the new Blues recruitment strategy.

> ID the player you want to recruit
> Offer subsidised Auckland housing and shopping discounts to their WAG's
> She moves to Auckland
> Nags her player-you-want-to-recruit-partner to move to Auckland as well
> ???
> Profit

They've just done it with Hunt, and did it with both Barrett and (eventually) Blues rugby legend Daniel Carter. While Christchurch has a world leading rugby infrastructure, Auckland has Onehunga Mall and the Otara flea markets. Checkmate, Cantabs.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Leon, once again, leaning on the nagging partner?

The rich just got richer, with All Blacks prop Nepo Laulala confirming he will play his Super Rugby for the Blues for the next two years.

Samoa-born Laulala, educated in Auckland at Mt Albert Grammar and Wesley College, wanted to be closer to family in Auckland with his wife Loriana and son Cassius.

"My wife and I felt the time was right for us to move closer to our families in Auckland. I went to school in Auckland and our extended families are all there," said Laulala.

"Family is so important to us and even more so for Loriana to have support when I am away.

"I want to thank the Chiefs for all they have done for me."

Laulala’s addition means the Blues will boast four All Black props in their rotation, the burly tighthead joining Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Karl Tu’inukuafe and Alex Hodgman. All four are playing in the Tri-Nations competition in Australia, with Laulala granted paternity leave to delay his departure across the Tasman.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...a-makes-the-move-to-blues-for-his-super-rugby

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
'Oh no! Both of our starting All Black props are injured! ..... Oh well. Best dust off those other two All Black props we have sitting on the shelf and carry on Death Star-ing.'

This is what it must feel like to be a Crusaders supporter.

Still, that all being said, we need to add a new hooker in support of Eklund. At the rate Leon is hoovering up All Blacks it'll probably be Aumua or something.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
AB's in bold

1 Hodgman/Karl T
2 Eklund
3 Ofa/Laulala
4 Pat T
5 Cowley Tuioti?
6 Akira/Big Red
7 Papalii/Dillon Hunt/Blake Gibson
8 Sotutu

d91.gif