• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aug 6th 2016. Super Rugby Final. Canes vs Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm wondering what impact the players, and styles and systems, of the Hurricanes, will be picked up for the ABs.

Same deal with the Lions and the Boks.

There could be longer term ramifications from this final.

G

galumay

Tone your language down. You are breaking the forum rules.

Now thats hilarious! Given the flat out refusal of admins to moderate seriously abusive and vile language despite being reported many times - now 'moronic' and 'halfwit' are against the rules!!

I dont mind what the rules are, as long as they are applied with at least some consistency!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Now thats hilarious! Given the flat out refusal of admins to moderate seriously abusive and vile language despite being reported many times - now 'moronic' and 'halfwit' are against the rules!!

I dont mind what the rules are, as long as they are applied with at least some consistency!
What a load of bollocks. Flat out refusal? You wouldn't know 1% of what gets reported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

You've been given your warning you can either move on or keep going. you choose.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well have to say I am obviously a happy man today, though to be fair like most long suffering Cane's supporters it relief as much as anything else at getting that monkey removed. Really pleased at how well the team played, and even more pleased to see them finally play a pretty mature game in the final (mind you thought they did last year), and who would of thought the Canes could win a title based on their defence and not just on their counter attacking ability. Lions certainly were a pretty worthy final opponent, have played some bloody good rugby over the year, and especially the last few weeks.
Guess it means it time for us to start contemplating the test season, and what difference the Super finals have made to test team selections.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm wondering what impact the players, and styles and systems, of the Hurricanes, will be picked up for the ABs.

Probably not a lot as far as gameplan. It's the team selections that will be interesting.
If they start Barrett (and to be fair, how can they not?), then I think Cruden gets dropped from the squad and Sopoaga comes in as back up. With Dagg on form, fullback reserve is covered. B Smith can move to wing.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
How good were those canes!!!! Savea behind a dominant pack is going to be a monster at 7.

Lions looked a bit lost for much of the match.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Canes managed to shut the Lions down in all phases. They could not get going. Good win for the Canes.
Thought Jackson had an ordinary night out there and I would have liked to have seen Angus out in the middle.
Well done Canes

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Canes managed to shut the Lions down in all phases. They could not get going. Good win for the Canes.
Thought Jackson had an ordinary night out there and I would have liked to have seen Angus out in the middle.
Well done Canes

Whoever is running Super Rugby really needs to get the hint that neutral refs are the only tenable solution for finals games.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ Lions benefited from Jackson & Skeen going back four phases to find the Shields knock-on that caused the Jane (?) try to be disallowed, I'm pretty sure they're only allowed to go back two phases? Also, HTF did Whiteley (or was it Tecklenburg?) not get carded for taking Beaugan out in the air: no attempt to contest the ball + player lands OK = Yellow, doesn't it? All in all I thought the officiating was OK & Lions have no grounds for complaint (not that they have, AFAIK).

So, much as it pains me to say it: congrats Hurricanes, deserved Super Rugby Champions. Now excuse me while I go get the taste of vinegar outta my gob......... :)

@Dan54, I'm sure you enjoyed that, guess I've gotta stop calling your lot chokers, eh?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
[quote="waiopehu oldboy, post: 868052, member: 14632"

@Dan54, I'm sure you enjoyed that, guess I've gotta stop calling your lot chokers, eh?[/quote]
Yep WOB, I certainly enjoyed it, am looking forward to watching it again, as I was in city and watched in a pub with no sound. Actually turned into not a bad sporting weekend as was in city because Mrs D54 decided she had one more marathon in her legs after not doing one for about 14 years and ended up being first in her age group ( admittedly that being women over 60), so all in all was couple of contented people in house last night .

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Savea behind a dominant pack is going to be a monster at 7.
Going to be???? I'd put him in the ABs starting ahead of Cane. Yes I realise that will cause many (most?) Kiwis to have an apoplectic fit but I just love the impacts he has. He runs like an escaped wild animal, I love it!

Reactions: mst

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
@Dan54, ordered yout T-shirts yet?

image.jpeg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@Dan54, ordered yout T-shirts yet?

Na WOB, not really into tshirts after the event, the Canes won, I am very happy with it, but don't need to scream it to everyone or rub anyones face in it, just go around feeling contented is my motto!
I can tell you for nothing after sitting down and rewatching the game I am pretty stoked with how well Shields played, he has had a huge season, clearly MOTM to me, and I also quietly pleased how TJ finished the year, he looks to be maturing into a reasonable rugby player. Canes may have a reasonable team next year again, with just losing Vito and Marshall, and hopefully having Milner-Skudder back in the saddle. Vito will be hard to replace but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.