• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aug 6th 2016. Super Rugby Final. Canes vs Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Out of curiosity & boredom I googled "Emirates Johannesburg Auckland" & found that the minimum flight time is 28 hours & change with stopovers in Dubai & Melbourne.

Assuming SA require you to check in at least 90 min prior to departure, that's 30 hours minimum (not including getting to the airport) plus however long it takes to clear customs & get from Auckland int'l to domestic; wait for & take the connecting flight to Wellywood; then get to the team hotel. If they do all of that inside another 3-4 hours I'd be surprised, so say ~35 hours all up, one way. Flying business class, of course, but that's still gotta mess with your circadians.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hurricanes: 15 James Marshall, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Matt Proctor, 12 Willis Halaholo, 11 Jason Woodward, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Victor Vito, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Brad Shields, 5 Michael Fatialofa, 4 Vaea Fifita, 3 Ben May, 2 Dane Coles (c)/Ricky Riccitelli, 1 Loni Uhila. Replacements: 16 Ricky Riccitelli/Leni Apisai, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Mike Kainga/Reggie Goodes, 19 Mark Abbott, 20 Callum Gibbins/Tony Lambourn, 21 Jamison Gibson-Park, 22 Vince Aso, 23 Julian Savea

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Did Coles have a bit of an injury question mark over him? Or did I remember that wrong. He's a reasonably important guy for them so hopefully for them they aren't playing him half cocked and hoping for the best.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ rib problem. There was some talk of him playing the SF with some kind of protector but sanity prevailed, as it hopefully will again.

G

galumay

Should be an absolute cracker, 2 teams playing fantastic rugby going head to head.

With my primary team, the Tahs, out before the finals, and now my number 2 team, the Chiefs, gone, I am not really too biased one way or the other. I just hope its a high scoring, showcase of a game for southern hemisphere rugby.

The Lions really need to win given the large advantage provided to them by the insane conference system, but it will mean becoming the first SA team to win a playoff outside of SA and therefore the first time a SA team has won the final away from home. On the other hand the Canes really need to win given that there were 4 NZ teams in the finals and even the Blues were probably the next best team in reality.

I think on balance I will have to cheer the Canes on and hope for an Oceanic winner!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ Give it a click! It's a good'un.

Latest forecast is for less rain but more wind than was predicted 24 hours ago. If MetService are right & the heavy stuff gives way to showers overnight & decreasing through the day, conditions shouldn't be too bad underfoot but the wind will be a real handful. Up to a point it gets deflected by the roof but if there's a bond fide gale then it can have almost a whirlpool effect: I've been to games where you'd swear the wind was a sou-wester along one touch line & a northerly along the other. Very confusing to watch, must be moreso for the players esp if they've never experienced it before.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wellington is currently listed as being 5.5 degrees, but with the 44 km/h southerly winds making it feel as though its 0 degrees outside. The wind is forecast to die off later in the day, but is still expected to be around a 20 km/h south/south-easterly come kickoff.

Glorious stuff.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wellington is currently listed as being 5.5 degrees, but with the 44 km/h southerly winds making it feel as though its 0 degrees outside. The wind is forecast to die off later in the day, but is still expected to be around a 20 km/h south/south-easterly come kickoff.

Glorious stuff.

Any rain?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mostly light drizzle I think. Most of the heavy stuff passed over yesterday and is now over the upper North Island.

Houndi

Frank Nicholson (4)
The lions are a team of destiny and will finish it off with a fantastic win today. Malcolm Marx man of the match, lions by 12.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
may as well be Richard Marx, son of Karl and Groucho, Canes D will swarm up maniacally like last 2 weekends, shutting down Van Rensburg, Lions will flounder, then drown, any combination of Canes multiple threats triggering flash flood jailbreaks, Lions suddenly lost and alone, unmoored in darkly treacherous seas, becalmed in a frightening cold wet and windy land, final score 58-12.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Great try Cory Jane from a Barrett kick.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Hard hitting tackles, good antitode for a hard running attack.

Now a try built purely on defence. Lions need to adjust their decision making.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Great try for cory Jane from a lions kick.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom