• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Re: scrum penalties.

No penalties coming from a scrum should be full arms. Especially not in the case of crooked feeds etc where they are a short arm the first offence and then a full arm from the second offence onwards. Just make them all free kicks, and if you want to go a step further, make them free kicks where another scrum is not an option.

A second crooked feed in the game, in the 79th minute, 20m from a teams own line, should not decide a game IMO, but with them being full penalties from the second offence, this could easily happen, and a crooked feed/arm on the ground etc is simply not worth 3 points.

Probably a reasonable idea, but is the IRB reasonable?

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Re: scrum penalties.

No penalties coming from a scrum should be full arms. Especially not in the case of crooked feeds etc where they are a short arm the first offence and then a full arm from the second offence onwards. Just make them all free kicks, and if you want to go a step further, make them free kicks where another scrum is not an option.

A second crooked feed in the game, in the 79th minute, 20m from a teams own line, should not decide a game IMO, but with them being full penalties from the second offence, this could easily happen, and a crooked feed/arm on the ground etc is simply not worth 3 points.
At least a crooked feed is or should be pretty clear cut, well within the control of the halfback and it is clear where the blame lies. However the other scrum penalties seem a bit of a raffle. A free kick without the option of another scrum doesn't seem fair as the only options are to gift possession to the infringing side or take a tap. How about a penalty with no option for going for goal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I think a lot of you are wrong here. There were a few stand out performances for the wallabies. Lilo, genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tamooa, hooper, horwill. The list goes on played very well. Just had sole poor mistakes from guys like Mogg with ball in hand and JOC (James O'Connor) in defence ( he hasn't played on the Wing for years ) They will get better. Great signs for us IMO.

And i think this shows how much of a hole deans left the team in. This was inevitable. If this side played the lions they would have possibly bet the AB's tonight. Deans held on to a side that might do the job. Mckenzie is putting a team out that in time can be the best side in the world.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Well that was pretty fucking grim wasn't it?

Made me miss Sharpey and his influence more than anything else for some reason.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Giving the game another casual watch over a few beers (watched it live at 6am and honestly don't remember much detail) and one big positive we can take away is that the height and uniformity with which this Wallabies pack set their scrums tonight was better than it has been in years. About 5% off from perfect (aka how the All Blacks pack down) but about 60% better than it was even in the Lions series.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That said, if MMM makes his way back into the side he needs to straighten himself up at scrum time. He was packing with his shoulders below his hips and actually hurting Slipper at scrum time. Luatua on the other hand was putting on a masterclass directly across from him, back as flat as a 2'x4'

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yes and you are blind. I recall Kuridrani putting away his winger which we haven't seen from an Oz 13 for a long time (not to mention breaking the gain line). Do you recall AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s debut in Perth? Was even worse.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 15 (or Folau?). There aren't a lot of options and Mogg is too on and off at this stage of his career. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will do a good job.

Kurindrani will surpass AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the next year. The fact is that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still lacks basic catch and pass skills and is very predictable in attack (left step followed by right fend). He is there still because his good points (defense and line running) are very good.

Did you notice that Kurindrani fell over when he went outside McCaw and drew the winger to pass to Folau? Well check out the replay - he got a push in the back from McCaw that caused him to fall an stopped him from being in a support position. Another grub play from McCaw that wasn't picked up.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I feel oddly calm about the game tonight. Clearly the AB's were superior and punished our mistakes utterly ruthlessly, but I felt that greater accuracy would have seen the score a lot closer. We appeared to be trying the right kinds of things in attack and I can see the game plan Link is trying to implement, but the execution was lacking. I feel we will improve from that and obviously we have to. As others have said, supporting lines weren't up to scratch and hurt us when the Kiwi's were able to convert turnover possession into points regularly. We were impatient at times as well, especially when offloading in contact or clearing from the ruck area. With that said, there were passages of play that were quite encouraging I thought. The lineout was excellent too. I had no idea how the scrums were going to pan out and we made some mistakes, but I have to say that I like the new laws. A good scrum will still get full value for their dominance.

I would go with more or less the same line up next week. These guys need another chance to improve on the execution of the plan Link clearly has.
Agree - except that I think more than 1 weeks perseverance will be needed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought it a pretty good first up test. I know the Wallabies made a few mistakes that let ABs pick up a few points, though I tend to think that came a bit from the pressure being applied. Wallabies would have to be happy with Hooper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in particular, as well as I thought Slipper who seemed to scrum well (regardless of what those idiots Marto and Kearnsie said about ne contest), he got on top of Franks at one stage causing him to go to knees and earning a penalty. For ABs I was real happy with the all three alphabet boys, with A playing a blinder at 9, Cruden apart from a couple of stuffed up kick offs looked pretty complete at 10. Forwards went well, but suspect a bit of work will go into scrum and lineout this week, but was well pleasede with Luatua's first up test, continues to look the goods. As said already a rusty and supposedly overweight and unfit Richie is not too bad, as proved by even Scotty having a little whinge!!! I think Wallabies will improve a bit by next week, but I do think noone is allowing for the fact that ABs should too!!

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
just watched the replay. I can honestly say, this was an entertaining game but this was not a test match.

My take is that To'omua wasn't bad - just not spectacular. Solid workman's day and I'll allows that for a debut against the ABs. Cooper showed a lot more attacking intent - but he also some loose chaos and some brainfarts on attack where he just seems to keep looking at his options until they're all gone.
Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) where the back line highlights. How good does this guy kick? And AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is just getting better where I worried last year that he might be starting to decline. Conrad Smith shows there is so much more to 13 than speed.

Hooper is just a guy I want in my team - and in the same vein I reckon Cummins should be picked for out and out enthusiasm, strength and aggression. Everyone wants to move JOC (James O'Connor) to 15 but I vote for Folau. He's been amazing there for the tahs and it gives him so much space to get involved in.

Fardy should start over MMM he was much more positive and impactful.

Mowen needs to hit the ball at pace more but his line out work was pretty special.

Scrum: Holy crap I felt like it was a club game. It will be great, but I really question introducing this at test level along way into a season.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not one of your best come backs Dan.
Yep fair enough to Angry, had a couple of beers and was just biting to his comment about canceling trips to NZ etc. probably not as amusing when I not had a beer in the morning!!:oops: I try not to answer those comments too. Blame son he skyped me from overseas and destroyed my concentration while I as posting!!:confused:

T

TooEasyWobbles

Nice. Australia just got obliterated. I guess they can't blame Deans anymore. Good luck next week Wobbles!

T

TooEasyWobbles

I remain disgusted that so many Kiwi fans continue to boo Quade Cooper. Was this a game in NZ? Arrogant, boorish and bad mannered - the NZ Rugby supporter.

I agree. They've got to get over it. They can't keep booing someone for incidents that happened years ago. It's extremely unsporting and petty.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It wasn't a bad game, but the Wallabies just weren't enough to stop the All Blacks once they got going.

I was impressed with Slipper overall, I think the new scrum laws mean he can be the LHP and we don't lose out at scrum time while still gaining around the park. Moore and Alexander were good too, but Slipper was the stand out. Sio, Kepu and Fainga'a held their own pretty well too and I'd like to see them get on earlier next week.
Simmons had his first truly good game for the Wallabies, while Horwill was very good. They both made impact in everything they did.
While MMM and Mowen didn't have BAD games, they weren't good either. I'd say they both just had an off game and wouldn't be shocked if they picked it up again next week. If there was going to be a switch, it would be Fardy for MMM because of his immediate impact and overall enthusiasm.
Hooper was the Wallaby MOTM, didn't put a foot wrong and showed why he got Super Rugby Player of the Year. Just incredible. Gill wasn't bad when he came on, but didn't really make an impact.
Genia was good, showed why White needs to develop his running game if he wants the 9 jersey.
To'omua was neither good nor bad, but seeing as it was his debut v the All Blacks, I'll cut him some slack. Cooper was good when he came on, but you just feel the structure was gone by that point.
I wasn't sure Folau was on the field until To'omua sent him a kick at around the 60th minute. JOC (James O'Connor) might have left his wing a bit too much in defence, but I thought he made up for it in everything else, reliably making 5 - 10m with each run.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Lilo were incredible, they both made good linebreaks, tackles and supporting runs. Lilo kicked to perfection again and slotted into first receiver well, while AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) showed he is still the best 13 in Australia. Kuridrani made impact when he came on, but you could see he was out of his depth.
And now to Jesse Mogg. I don't feel he was god awful, but he did not have a good game. The nerves were getting to him from minute one but you could see he calmed himself pretty well. His long kicking just wasn't there when the Wallabies needed it and I'm sure his training this week will consist of players running hard at him and him having to chase and tackle.

MOTM overall would have to be Conrad Smith, but it could easily have been Ben Smith - I said earlier this year that he is the new Joe Roff, and he showed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.