• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just "did the math" & pretty sure we've now taken 10 wickets for 1,230 runs so far this series. I have a new mission for whoever it is that's all over the Most Runs On Day 1 thing: is 1,230 the Most Runs Conceded In Taking Ten Wickets? Test matches only, of course.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Just "did the math" & pretty sure we've now taken 10 wickets for 1,230 runs so far this series. I have a new mission for whoever it is that's all over the Most Runs On Day 1 thing: is 1,230 the Most Runs Conceded In Taking Ten Wickets? Test matches only, of course.
Can't quite answer the second one but in 2005 England won two test matches against Bangladesh

Combined 975 runs for 6 wickets.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...=2548;template=results;type=team;view=innings

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Bugger it, sitting at home trying not to wake the baby.

I reckon that's the third most runs on day one of a test match, behind Bradman in 1930 and 1934.

All of the others in the list above Warner were scored in other than the first innings.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I reckon that's the third most runs on day one of a test match, behind Bradman in 1930 and 1934.

All of the others in the list above Warner were scored in other than the first innings.

And as you indicated before, Warner would have faced less balls. Balanced against that, Bradman would have faced better bowling attacks that this NZ team. Larwood played in the 1930 test series, Bowes and Verity played in 1934.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

You may consider your mission accomplished. Now go back to your baby, way more important than anything you'll ever see on any website, even this one.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And as you indicated before, Warner would have faced less balls. Balanced against that, Bradman would have faced better bowling attacks that this NZ team. Larwood played in the 1930 test series, Bowes and Verity played in 1934.

Not even a comparison until you look at the different pitches the games were played on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This test seems to be following the same pattern as the first. Almost no chance of rain in Perth though.

Williamson is world class - the only player in this NZ team who would make the Australian team. McCullum is good in limited over cricket, but not so sure he's as dominant in test cricket. His captaincy in this series so far has been poor.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Confused about the Aus tactics while batting on the second day. Very slow scoring in the first hour and a half, and then Smith looked to be trying to get to 550 before lunch in the couple of overs before his brain-fart dismissal. And then Voges and Marsh seemed to settle in as though Aus wanted to bat out the day and get the score to something like 600 - 700. But after their dismissals, the rest just threw their wickets away in what seemed a pointless exercise designed to get quick runs. At that stage, more runs were hardly required and anyway, they didn't come as all the tailenders got out cheaply and achieved nothing. Couldn't see any consistency in the approach at all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^I agree it was very odd. It seemed to me that he had 550 as a magic figure in his mind and ploughed on regardless of the changing circumstances. With the wickets falling I reckon it would have taken at least half an hour to get from 540 to 550, 3 wickets went on 547 and then he called them in on 9/559. I'd have preferred him to call them in at 6/539 (when Marsh fell).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is the quality of the pitches perhaps related to TV interests wanting to have a five-day test?

If so short-sighted thinking. Very few people want to watch 5 days of batting practice.

A statistic came up earlier during the channel 9 coverage that in every test last season and the first two this season, the team batting first has scored 500. Can't see this being in the long term interests of test cricket.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's up with the balls in this series? They've bowled ~5 overs & it's gone outa shape already.

FFS, 1st ball with the new new ball & KW hits it down mid-on's throat, 352/3.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Sigh. I've seen some stunning performances on that WACA pitch. Last time I was over there, Shoaib ripped through the Australian top order before Gilchrist made a lazy 150 to wrest the match from Pakistan's grasp. Was lucky enough to see Waqar and Akram in tandem, and not so lucky to see the Windies murder us in '92/93, with Mark Waugh nearly falling through one of the enormous cracks. After so many epic matches at the WACA, it's so sad to see such a meek deck in one of its last tests.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
First time ever that both teams have scored 500+ first innings runs in test cricket at the WACA.

That speaks volumes of the pitch. Credit must go to Taylor and Williamson for the masterclass we saw today. Another day and those edges carry and the game has a different outlook. However, as it stands now it's hard to see anything other than a draw.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
During Day 1 a NZ win was paying $42. Right now, they are pretty much an even money bet. Amazing how test matches change their complexion.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gotta love the optimism of the stuff.co.nz cricket writer: after Day 1 he writes a piece on Warner eyeing up Lara's world record score (& why not? He only needed another 157 to get it), now he's got Taylor going after McCullum's NZ record 302 "if Mark Craig and the tail enders can stay with him".

Status
Not open for further replies.