• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And why is it an assumption that a) sledging is unsportsmanlike and b) cricket is some outlier when it comes to this?

I think the reaction to McCullum's stance is completely over the top.

And everyone needs to toughen the fuck up about what happens on a cricket field.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Some McCullum test stats to consider.

v Australia - 23 innings .. Av 27.40
v England - 30 innings .. Av 35.89
v South Africa - 24 innings.. Av 26.13

87 innings outside of NZ .. average 29.33

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As a touring team there would be nothing worse than the prospect of Perth after going 1-0 at the Gabba. Southee's fitness is huge but I think we will wrap it up day 4 regardless.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I used to think the WACA was unique enough that it would be an Aussie fortress, but we're only 5-3 in our last eight games here. Of course we lost a few to the Windies here over the years too. That said, it's a track that gives our attack a chance to shine (provided they pitch the ball up), but it's not a batsman's graveyard by any means. Anyone who can play off the back foot and be patient early in their innings can really cash in later on, with a billiard table outfield and plenty of pace off the wicket.

EDIT: I think Williamson will make another hundred in this game. He's got a fantastic technique to the quicks and an excellent temperament. Super player.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agree on the comments regarding Williamson, he's class and still getting better.

That said, Guptill is the fella I'm most worried about at the WACA.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He commented negatively against the Australian team or Australian players in games he wasn't even involved in and I assume didn't watch live. So he relied on a TV to throw some barbs at another side.

You don't see anything wrong with that?

I dont know what he said but if he's prepared to take the heat, on and off the field, for calling out the boorish element in Oz cricket he's actually doing us a favour in more ways than one.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I dont know what he said but if he's prepared to take the heat, on and off the field, for calling out the boorish element in Oz cricket he's actually doing us a favour in more ways than one.
Called Smith immature in his newspaper column over the Stokes dismissal. Some stuff about Warner too but that is much more justifiable.

I really don't think opposition captains using the media to publicly criticise each other is part of any sort of spirit of cricket. Especially writing it, when he has plenty of time to consider his words.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Anyway, on to Perth. Side seems to be settling, albeit after just 1 game.

Pressure must starting to be on Marsh.

His bowling has been mostly excellent but he's been nowhere near good enough at number 6.

How long do you give a young player to develop into what you hope he might become?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd be having a serious look at Jimmy Faulkner for the 6 spot if Marsh doesn't deliver with the bat in the next two tests.

He seems to have the same knack of picking up wickets early in his spell and has looked pretty good in the sheffield shield.

The other bloke who might enter the frame in the next few months is Maxwell but IMO he's another season or so off being a test cricketer.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Ah i love a test match in Perth, get home after work and know that you've got plenty of cricket left to watch.

In regards to Marsh, he has an average of 31.69 in first class cricket so he hasn't really proved himself in the domestic game yet. I wouldn't mind seeing Maxwell given a go at 6, granted he can lose the plot with the reverse sweeps etc but surely he can reign that in a bit.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ah i love a test match in Perth, get home after work and know that you've got plenty of cricket left to watch.

In regards to Marsh, he has an average of 31.69 in first class cricket so he hasn't really proved himself in the domestic game yet. I wouldn't mind seeing Maxwell given a go at 6, granted he can lose the plot with the reverse sweeps etc but surely he can reign that in a bit.
We lose plenty with the ball though with Moses H, or Maxwell. Faulkner might be as good a bowler as Marsh but is rated a worse batsmen especially at test level.

We really need that top level right arm seemer if the other Mitchs keep opening the bowling. But then our tail looks seriously long.

Who'd be a selector?

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
We lose plenty with the ball though with Moses H, or Maxwell. Faulkner might be as good a bowler as Marsh but is rated a worse batsmen especially at test level.

We really need that top level right arm seemer if the other Mitchs keep opening the bowling. But then our tail looks seriously long.

Who'd be a selector?

True, Maxwell isn't the same as Marsh with the ball. There was talk of bringing Bancroft in to open and put Burns at 6 on the radio this morning if Marsh keeps failing which i didn't like to hear. Bancroft is a worthy selection but not to change an opening partnership seemingly working and just getting started.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
True, Maxwell isn't the same as Marsh with the ball. There was talk of bringing Bancroft in to open and put Burns at 6 on the radio this morning if Marsh keeps failing which i didn't like to hear. Bancroft is a worthy selection but not to change an opening partnership seemingly working and just getting started.
Haven't seen much of Bancroft but it will be interesting to see how Burns goes long term at the top of the order. Looks more like a 5/6 to me.

He goes across so hard at the ball and can play away from his body. Looks ripe for outswingers early in his innings (or later - how he got out in the first innings in Brisbane) and also lbw to ones coming back in. Still, Ponting looked vulnerable to the same things and he went OK.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Marsh, for all his bowling prowess, isn't batting well enough to hold his place at six. As I've banged on about countless times, there's nothing actually wrong with picking six quality batsmen, a keeper and four test class bowlers. We don't have to pick an all rounder, though if you've got a good one then go for it. We don't have a good one at the moment. With that said, I'd give Mitch until the end of the NZ series at least and then see where we're at. I think the bloke is seriously talented, a natural if you like. Talent alone doesn't cut it though, his batting must improve if he wants to hold down that spot.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Absolutely give him until the end of the series to prove his worth. I think it's only matter of time a bloke with his talent nails down a spot anyway so there's no harm in putting him back in the domestic side and let him earn his spot there.

I guess we did go through our best era without an all-rounder till Watson came along and was supposed to be fill that space. Ever since we seem to have an obsession with finding another all-rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.