• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Absolutely nothing happening on this pitch, looks like a day 3 track. No grass at all. Cracks the size of Perth canyon will be opening up by the time NZ have to bat.

Kiwi bowlers not helping themselves either with some frankly rubbish bowling.

And now the ball gets changed. Lasted all of 9 overs. Ditch the kookaburra, they're not good enough

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Anyway, on to Perth. Side seems to be settling, albeit after just 1 game.

Pressure must starting to be on Marsh.

His bowling has been mostly excellent but he's been nowhere near good enough at number 6.

How long do you give a young player to develop into what you hope he might become?

If give him at least until the end of the Windies series. He has the talent and out of all the options is the only one with the potential to be a future great.

Even if he bats a 7 for a while. Neville is good enough to be 6.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Burns got that one wrong.

100 run partnership is good though. Khawaja to back up a good Gabba test.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Absolutely give him until the end of the series to prove his worth. I think it's only matter of time a bloke with his talent nails down a spot anyway so there's no harm in putting him back in the domestic side and let him earn his spot there.

I guess we did go through our best era without an all-rounder till Watson came along and was supposed to be fill that space. Ever since we seem to have an obsession with finding another all-rounder.

We didn't need one though - Warne and McGrath would almost always take a bunch of wickets.

This team needs a fifth bowler of some sort to rest the quicks and take a wicket or two.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Marsh was bad in England despite two 100's in tour games, everyone was bad though so think they need to be given a clean slate. Given the circumstances of his time in the middle at the Gabba I don't think it told us anything about his long term suitability to be the all rounder. Agree it may be worth moving him to 7, still think he is the man to stick with this summer.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
24 overs in the session. Another annoyance!

Kiwis tightened up and slowed the game down in the second hour. Better bowling and got Burns to a really shit shot.

Have a look at the pitch maps though; there was no plan to either batsman in evidence. Either they didn't have one or the bowlers completely failed to enact it. Captain killer.

9lHMrii.jpg

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Warner to 4000 runs in his 84th innings. One more than KP and behind only Bradman, Hayden, Harvey all time for Australia. Fair record that one!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've pretty much resigned myself to shouting my purchasing officer another steak & kidney pie on Tuesday. Guptill & Macca bowling on Day 1 of a Test. FFS.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyone know the individual record for runs on Day 1 of a Test? Can't imagine Warner's too far off it if he hasn't broken it already.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
^^^^^^^^^^ Jaysus, would you look at that England top 5: Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Duleepsihnji & Leyland. Lucky you blokes had "our" Clarrie to corral them with 5/135 :) BTW I love looking at old scorecards & match reports so thanks for the tip.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/62582.html

Mind you, your top 6 was nothing to be sneezed at either........
Yeah - Hammond appears in the all time list quite a few times himself.

Think Warner ended up around 7th most runs in one day ever. Most in Australia though

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/284225.html

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Crikey, what a performance on day one. Can't remember the last time I saw 2 for 400 odd on the first day of a test match. Well played Dave Warner and also Khawaja (jeez his cricket has come a long way in the last couple of years). Given that it's going to be 38 tomorrow, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of declaring before tea.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
BOOM!

Pretty brutal stuff from Warner. I wish they'd stop calling him "Davey" FFS. He's not a sailor.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Day 1-wise we can obviously discount Hammond, Compton & Sehwag but I'm far too lazy, despite my liking for old scorecards & match reports, to actually & actively do the research needed to answer the question of where Warner now stands on the Most Runs On Day One Of A Test Match list so more than happy to let someone else do it.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sigh. As feared, the NZ bowling has seemingly gone to bits since Shane Bond left after the WC. Injuries certainly haven't helped, but still.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great day for the Aussies - barely put a foot wrong. David Warner but to his very best on Australian pitches. 244 in a days play with 2015 over rates is right up there with the best of all time. (In over 360 mins and off 272 balls - Super Rugby 89.71). In 1930 Bradman scored 334 (309 of them on the first day).. The whole 334 only took 383 minutes but off 448 balls (Super Rugby 74.55). Having said that, this Kiwi team doesn't have Larwood or Tate et al in the bowling attack.

Poor day all round from the Kiwis - as I said early in the first test, I can't see this NZ attack taking 20 wickets. The less said about the use of the DRS the better, really fellas, it's not there to review 50/50 LBW calls. Use it for those at your peril - I reckon that the umpires get nearly all of them right.

Status
Not open for further replies.