• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I must say I'm thrilled to see Khawaja play well and look like he's reaching his potential, isn't he a lovely batsman to watch? He could be exactly what this team needs: a technically correct bloke to come in first drop and an elegant batsman to boot. Long may he prosper. On a cautionary note I sincerely hope he hasn't got a dose of the Watsons, this hamstring injury's concerning.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I must say I'm thrilled to see Khawaja play well and look like he's reaching his potential, isn't he a lovely batsman to watch? He could be exactly what this team needs: a technically correct bloke to come in first drop and an elegant batsman to boot. Long may he prosper. On a cautionary note I sincerely hope he hasn't got a dose of the Watsons, this hamstring injury's concerning.
He looks like he could do with some of Dave Warner's conditioning program - it was pretty innocuous exertion to do a hamstring.
I agree about his batting though - very easy on the eye, as they say.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Really disappointed in the WACA track. Both fast bowling attacks have struggled to make any impression and it's been a total run feast. As a lover of the WACA pitch over many years an its uniqueness I find it very sad.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

He has quite a lengthy history of injuries unfortunately.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Really important that the two at the crease go deep into this session. I can't see how we can win the game, but we could lose it in this session if we don't bat sensibly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Really important that the two at the crease go deep into this session. I can't see how we can win the game, but we could lose it in this session if we don't bat sensibly.

I agree. Draw the most likely result though. One day left and it's difficult to see anyone losing 10 wickets in a day on this pitch.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I agree. Draw the most likely result though. One day left and it's difficult to see anyone losing 10 wickets in a day on this pitch.
105 overs left. Lead is 120. Probably need 60 overs to have even an inkling of bowling them out (not going to happen).

300 run lead enough?

4 an over from here on would set up that equation.

Surely Smith wouldn't be tempted....

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Shouldnt have got my hopes up about Smith demanding better from this mob of wankers:
"After the innings - he's made 290 - not one person from the Australian camp went and shook his hand," Nannes said.
"In the spirit of the way this game has been played ... I can't help but be disappointed that no one actually went out to him and shook his hand. It's not that hard is it?
1447659224237.jpg

Former Australian player Dirk Nannes during his stint with the Thunder in the BBL in 2014. Photo: Bloomberg
"You don't have a guy bat for a day and half out and there and just not even acknowledge it. That's horrendous sportsmanship."
Nannes' co-commentator suggested that it had been an unintended oversight, rather than anything malicious.
"But this Australian team, we're pretty good at lapsing. It's not hard to just do the simple things," Nannes said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/second-test-dirk-nannes-rips-into-australias-horrendous-sportsmanship-after-ross-taylors-record-knock-20151116-gl0dgn.html#ixzz3rdvySbnT

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Some discussion about that on the radio. Apparently after Willliamson's knocks here and at the Gabba plenty of players congratulated him. Not an excuse in this case but it seems the change of innings may have had something to do with it. Half the story is presented in the article and it fits the the general Aus cricket team are pricks so don't bother publishing the good stuff.

Was a great innings. Highest ever by a tourist in tests is an amazing achievement. Sure the Aussies will congratulate him for it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The game delay tactics the kiwis are carrying on at the moment is easily the least sporting part of this game so far.

It seems more along the lines of incompetent captaincy rather than poor sportsmanship.

This test has produced some fine batting performances from both sides, which should be acknowledged, but if the administrators are trying to promote test cricket, they'd want to hope that no potential fan accidentally tunes into this game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
105 overs left. Lead is 120. Probably need 60 overs to have even an inkling of bowling them out (not going to happen).

300 run lead enough?

Surely Smith wouldn't be tempted..

Only trouble with a declaration is that you have no real prospect of getting them out in the time available and with Williamson and Taylor in form together with McCullum's ability to score quickly, an NZ victory would become the most likely after the draw.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
According to Ross Taylor there was no issue after he finished his innings. Voges made the comment that he and others congratulated Taylor after play. I get a little sick of invented stories about alleged poor sportsmanship from the Aussies when none has occurred.

Anyhoo, great batting in that last session to almost take us to safety. No hurry out there tomorrow either, given we are 1-0 up in the series. I think we can all agree that this pitch was a travesty and I hope we never see its like again at the WACA.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aus lost the impetus needed to win with the manner in which they finished their first innings. To all appearances, they really didn't know whether to bat on in the second day or go for quick runs. In the end they did neither and just allowed the "ëbb and flow of psychic energy" to shift to the Black Caps. IMO they really should have batted out the second day and even more had they had wickets in hand and established a total that would have, in theory, given them a chance of dismissing NZ twice in the time left. As it is though, on the evidence of the first four days, there is next to no chance of either side taking 20 wickets on this abortion of a pitch. If that's what the WACA is going to serve up, then move the tests elsewhere just as soon as is possible.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Aus lost the impetus needed to win with the manner in which they finished their first innings. To all appearances, they really didn't know whether to bat on in the second day or go for quick runs. In the end they did neither and just allowed the "ëbb and flow of psychic energy" to shift to the Black Caps. IMO they really should have batted out the second day and even more had they had wickets in hand and established a total that would have, in theory, given them a chance of dismissing NZ twice in the time left. As it is though, on the evidence of the first four days, there is next to no chance of either side taking 20 wickets on this abortion of a pitch. If that's what the WACA is going to serve up, then move the tests elsewhere just as soon as is possible.

Totally agree about that. Our batting on day 2 was weird and in a way let NZ back into the game. You'd think after the way we'd dominated on day one that we would have plastered 650 on that pitch before tea. Credit is due to the way that NZ stuck to their task but fellas come on, 559 felt a little underweight on that track.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

300 run lead enough?

Surely Smith wouldn't be tempted..

If Smith were 0-1 down in the series & desperate to square it then maybe, but at 1-0 up & heading to Adelaide he'd be certifiable to even think about it.

Fun* stats (from memory, trying to find the ESPNcricinfo article from ~2 years ago): in the 10 years preceding the article, the average aggregates for Tests where a result was achieved were ~1,350 runs & ~37 wickets & no match with > 1,600 runs or <24 wickets produced a result.

* if you happen to be a cricket stats freak like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.