• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Been a lot of talk about Johnson retiring after this test match on the news this morning. Would of course be a shame to see him go if he does and know that we'll never see those electric spells although they were becoming less of an occurrence these days anyway. Hopefully the rise of Starc will soften his leaving as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Been a lot of talk about Johnson retiring after this test match on the news this morning. Would of course be a shame to see him go if he does and know that we'll never see those electric spells although they were becoming less of an occurrence these days anyway. Hopefully the rise of Starc will soften his leaving as well.

He really just needs to dig in when batting today and make a good score and he'll get his bowling mojo back again. Enough hopefully to convince him to stay on until the end of the WI tour.

If he goes, what will the attack look like for Adelaide? The word was that one of Starc or Hazelwood would be rested in any case. Think that little plan will go out the window. Most likely, Siddle will come back. While I'd like to see someone like Pattinson or Bird given another chance pretty soon, Siddle's experience would serve well in Johnson's absence.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Might see him announce that at the end of the summer he will go. The decision is clearly weighing on him considerably.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So Smith declares and NZ are chasing 320 with 48 overs left in the test match.

That's a carrot but you'd think it's far too many to track down. Then again, the batting line-up contains McCullum and it's a road with a quick outfield.

Fasten your seatbelts. First 5 overs will determine what sort of approach NZ take to this final innings, few early wickets and they'll look to defend it out, a quick start from Guptill and we could have a fantastic finish here.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
To be honest I can't see a result here.

Sentimental part of me would be happy just to see Johnson take a few wickets to wrap up what has been an exceptional career.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Why on Earth would you declare in this situation?

It's a carrot for McCullum.

320 off 48 overs is a HUGE ask especially when you got blokes in form like Starc and a massive crack right on Hazlewood's line.

That and it's Johnson's last test, give him the chance to sign off with the ball

IF they get off to a quick start there is every chance McCullum promotes himself in the batting lineup looking for quick runs. A few wickets and suddenly NZ will be under huge pressure.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In reality,we have a test match that is finishing in a one-day format. Almost 50 overs to get 10 wickets for aus or about 320 runs for NZ. It is possible to get a result one way or the other, but given the meek character of the pitch so far, the odds would have to be in NZ's favour. If they keep wickets in hand and the run rate to something less than 8 or 9, then they are in with a very big chance.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I like it!
For the kiwis to win,they have to come out swinging from the get go.
And if they are good enough to get those runs good on em.
Much better thn just going through the motions waiting for stumps.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As expected, the test ends in a draw and we move on to Adelaide with the Aussies 1-0 up in the series.

Personally, I think this should have been a 5 match series. The quality of cricket we will see from the Windies is probably not going to be at the same level as we've seen from the Kiwis.

Not really sure how I feel about the prospect of day/night cricket but it's an exciting time to be a cricket fan with blokes like Smith, Williamson and Starc to fill the void left by recent retirements.

No Khawaja or Johnson for the next test. I assume we will see Bancroft and Siddle as respective replacements but Shaun Marsh is always lingering.

Finding a long-term solution for Johnson WILL prove quite difficult IMO.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Scary to think that with 48 caps, Nathan Lyon is now the most capped player in the starting XI (Siddle will take this mantle if he's selected for Adelaide but still only has 57 caps).

We've lost some serious experience in the last 12 months.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm actually pretty positive about day/night test matches. It doesn't destroy or cheapen the game and will keep interest alive in that format. At the very least it's worth a try.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Personally, I think this should have been a 5 match series. The quality of cricket we will see from the Windies is probably not going to be at the same level as we've seen from the Kiwis.

Well there's three tests in Australia, and two in NZ over the summer. Just think of them as a single trans-Tasman test series, with some filler betwixt the Australian and NZ legs. I intend to.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm actually pretty positive about day/night test matches. It doesn't destroy or cheapen the game and will keep interest alive in that format. At the very least it's worth a try.

What's going to kill test cricket is pitches like the one we've just seen. No contest between bat and ball at all. Nearly every wicket could be put down to either fatigue or tyring to score quick runs.

My only reservation about the day/night test is the ball. From what we've seen in the first two tests Kookaburra can't even get the red ball that they've been making for 100 years right.

Status
Not open for further replies.