• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Baa Baa's Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Deans just said on the Rugby Club that Horne, Slipper, Tatafu and Mitchell will all play against Canada, possibly Barnes aswell (can't remember). Also said they'll hold Palu back a bit.

Makes sense. Don't force these guys comeback match to be against the ABs.

Based on that, I'd have Lachie Turner on the bench for that 3N game. Given it is only an hour down the road to the Gold Coast, he could also still be given a few minutes off the bench for the BaaBaas the night before.

So I'd pretty much agree with Bowside's team for the Baabaas, except swap Davies and Turner (and as there was no 21 nominated, Ben Lucas would be the reserve halfback for the Barbarians).

The team I would pick:

1. Ben Daley/Al Baxter
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Dan Vickerman (assuming he isn't on the bench for the wallabies.)
6. Dave Dennis
7. Beau Robinson
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Nick Phipps
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Rob Horne
14. Lachie Turner Rod Davies
15. Luke Morahan

16. Jimmy Hanson
17. Pek Cowan/Ben Daley
18. Ben McCalman
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Mark Gerrard
21. Ben Lucas
22. Davies? Lachie Turner

I'd like to see Gits and Baxter get a final swansong, Mark Gerrard as well as I can't see him playing for the wallabies again.

Should be a great game.

There may be a chance of Dean Mumm being chosen at at 6 because he was in the 40 man WC squad - but I reckon give Dave Dennis a go.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I can't see many of the WC squad members being chosen apart from those Deans has said will play.

1- Daley
2- Polota-Nau
3-Slipper
4-Timani
5-Mumm
6-Hodgson
7-Robinson
8-Dennis
9-Phipps
10-Barnes
11-Mitchell
12-Giteau
13-Horne
14-Morahan
15-Gerrard
Bench: Hanson, Cowan, Pyle/Wykes, Palu, Lucas, Cummins, Davies?

Bench is a bit of a roughy, maybe they'll just stick Fainga'a or McCabe on the bench for cover.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I can't see many of the WC squad members being chosen apart from those Deans has said will play.

Ah, I misread earlier and thought Palu was still fit to play. It sounds like he won't be ready in 8 days time then. My fear now is that Cliffy won't have enough match fitness to warrant selection after the group games at the WC. :'(

He'll probably be on the medivac out and making way for a replacement openside, Robinson or Hodgson.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
true, but if they are going to show it live online they are already filming it.
timmy horan can't cost that much to commentate!

hopefully they do. but glad they are showing it somewhere.

I was talking about the avoidable costs. Do live online broadcasts have a commentary team already? I honestly don't know. Is there only one camera, or two, so others will be needed to be added? You have to count every extra dollar that may have to be spent. Then, when you do that, and the game is still not broadcast, even on delay, you have to conclude that they have done better sums than you and I can come up with and they didn't add up for them.

Otherwise it would be on.

But who says it isn't? Sometimes they make late decisions to switch.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
team named:

Australian Barbarians team to play Canada named

A powerful combination boasting a combined 407 Test caps has been named to represent the Australian Barbarians club in Friday night’s rugby union international against the New Zealand-bound Canadian side at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast.

The Barbarians, who played two midweek matches against the touring England side last year returning a draw as well as a narrow loss, will be led by the most experienced current Wallaby, second-rower Nathan Sharpe.

Every member of the starting XV boasts Wallaby experience, with seven members of the recently named 30-man national squad included as the Qantas Wallabies continue with preparations for the Great Crusade across the Tasman.

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says Friday night’s contest is an important stepping stone for all of the players involved, with five of the Baabaas starting line-up returning to the international fold after breaks forced by injury.

This includes the local product, Test prop James Slipper, who is one of two Gold Coasters in the run on combination, alongside the 96-cap international, Sharpe.

“This is a great opportunity to re-introduce these players to the international scene, while also allowing others to press their claims as back up to the 30-man squad that we have named,” Deans says.

“History suggests that we will sustain injuries during a schedule as demanding as that which we face in New Zealand. We have to have alternatives who are ready to go if that proves to be the case. Friday night allows a wider group of players, outside of the Test squad, to gain international exposure while also keeping them all connected to the overall campaign.”

The Baabaas, who go into camp at the Gold Coast on Wednesday, will be prepared by Qantas Wallabies coaching coordinator David Nucifora. He has no illusions as to the significance of the task his team faces.

“This is the Canadians last hit out before they head to New Zealand so they will be raring to go,” Nucifora said.

“They’ve had a lot of time together as a squad and have been building through their other warm up matches. As the finale to their preparations for New Zealand, they will have placed a great deal of emphasis on getting a good performance Friday night.

“It’s never easy bringing together a group with just a couple of days of prep, but all but two of the players in our squad have been involved in the national programme earlier in the year so they all have a good background as to how we operate.”

The two ‘newcomers’ are Waratahs flanker Pat McCutcheon, who has returned to action in Sydney club rugby after working his way back from injury, and the impressive Queensland Reds midfielder Ben Tapuai.

McCutcheon is familiar to the national team environment after involvement last year.

The 22-year-old Tapuai starred during his state’s run to a maiden Super Rugby title last month, helping to shut down the glamour Crusaders midfield of Sonny Bill Williams and Robbie Fruean during the Reds 18-13 win over the Kiwi side in the tournament final.

Canada, which is coached by a former All Black team-mate of Deans’ in the ex-New Zealand selector Kieran Crowley, is concluding preparations for a schedule across the Tasman which will see the side face the All Blacks, France, Tonga and Japan.

Friday night’s match follows the recent Qantas Wallabies training camp on the Gold Coast, and is a fore-runner to the inaugural Gold Coast Sevens – Fever Pitch tournament, which will be held on 25-26 November also at Skilled Park. The international event kicks off the IRB’s global HSBC World Series International Sevens, bringing the Australian leg of the popular circuit to south east Queensland for the first time.

The Australian Barbarians team to play Canada at Skilled Park on Friday night, (kick off 8.05pm AEST) is:

15. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)

14. Rod Davies (Queensland Reds)

13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)

12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)

11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)

10. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)

9. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)

8. Pat McCutcheon (NSW Waratahs)

7. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)

6. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs)

5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force, captain)

4. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)

3. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)

2. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)

1. Ben Daley (Queensland Reds)

Run on Reserves:

16. James Hanson (Queensland Reds)

17. Pekahou Cowan (Western Force)

18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)

19. Beau Robinson (Queensland Reds)

20. Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds)

21. Luke Morahan (Queensland Reds)

22. Mark Gerrard (Melbourne Rebels)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
mmm Sharpe out of the Wallaby 22? Seems odd.

Not sure why McCutcheon was selected? Someone like Mowen, Shatz or Vaea are more deserving

Its a poor selection in my opinion. I could understand it as a trial thing, but I'm not a fan of trailing blokes in rep games as they are supposed to have already earnt their place.

Sharpe selection is baffling as well, although I guess we don't see what goes on behind closed doors at training. Even if they were not going to pick him for the Brisbane test, why risk injuring him in a game like this. I'm tipping Simmons to start the test now for line out reasons. (Assuming Sharpe isn't in the 22)

I would have picked Lucas over Taps, and Turner on the wing over Davies with Morahan at fullback.

Glad to see Daley get a game as I rate him above Ma'afu and Cowen, but at the same time it would have been nice for le fuse to have had one last hurrah.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maybe he wants an old head next to Timani, who looked a bit nervous and hesitant against Samoa? Also give Sharpe some game time rather than cooling his heels?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I like your reasoning cyclo but IMVHO Sharpe is still one of our two best locks and given that he is playing in this Baabaas games, he will presumably not be involved in the Bris Bled.

That is a game we should be doing everything possible to win.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Based on that you'd have to think Sharpe will be on the bench at Suncorp.

I really don't think Sharpe would be able to back up less than 22 hours later. It'll be Horwill and Simmo starting with Vickerman off the bench like last test.

Surely it would have been more beneficial for Vickerman to start in the Baa Baa's game and get a full 80 than playing a cameo in the Bledisloe?

I'm still baffled to think what Sharpe did wrong in the Republic? He was one of our outstanding forwards?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I like your reasoning cyclo but IMVHO Sharpe is still one of our two best locks and given that he is playing in this Baabaas games, he will presumably not be involved in the Bris Bled.

That is a game we should be doing everything possible to win.
I'm just spit-balling ideas, not that I necessarily agree with the selection. I'd rather see Vickerman play close to 80 in Baa-Baas.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
If JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't play against NZ. Who will start on the wing for the Wallabies? It looks like most of the reserve wingers are playing here.

Turner on one win with Digby on the other.

Or McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on one wing with A Finger in the centres.

If JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't play against the blackness who do you bring into the bench is a bigger question. Gerrard? Turner (depending if he's put on the wing) or the dark runner of Morahan?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's a good team better than the one that played Samoa. I now think JOC (James O'Connor) will definitely play in Brisbane & just get slapped with a fine & maybe have to do a nude run through the Wickham hotel after.

Sharpe will miss out which is a shame as I though Deans would start him in the Bledisloe & have Vickerman come off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.