• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So next year Wallabies are going to win the wooden spoon at TRC without Folau, Foley, Cooper and Speight commited to the 7 and ALL the Europeans like Kepu, Genia and others

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So next year Wallabies are going to win the wooden spoon at TRC without Folau, Foley, Cooper and Speight commited to the 7 and ALL the Europeans like Kepu, Genia and others

Actually I reckon we have more depth than ever

1. Slipper/Sio/Smith
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Arnold/Douglas
6. Hooper
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Lilo
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Horne
15. Beale

16. Polota-Nau/Latu/Hanson 17. Sio/Slipper 18. Faulkner/Ah-Nau/Ryan 19. Skelton 20. McMahon 21. Frisby/STIRZAKER 22. Kerevi 23. Hayley Petit/Placid

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Actually I reckon we have more depth than ever

My concern is about the #10. Without Lilo and To'omua, you must pick a rookie for the position. In case of injury crisis like Hooker 2014, that spot will be very weak.

Cheika should call Gits :eek::eek::eek:

For the Sevens should be Foley or Cooper, not both at the same time. The ARU has other interesting players for the 7s like JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale) and others. The departure of both will make weak the #10, especially if we consider that Lilo and To'omua have been prone to injuries in recent years.

Beale at 15 is crazy for me, I prefer Justin Bieber

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My concern is about the #10. Without Lilo and To'omua, you must pick a rookie for the position. In case of injury crisis like Hooker 2014, that spot will be very weak.

Cheika should call Gits :eek::eek::eek:

For the Sevens should be Foley or Cooper, not both at the same time. The ARU has other interesting players for the 7s like JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale) and others. The departure of both will make weak the #10, especially if we consider that Lilo and To'omua have been prone to injuries in recent years.

Beale at 15 is crazy for me, I prefer Justin Bieber

If we lose both we will make do, as we would at Hooker, Lock, THP etc etc

The point is we are losing the two current starters @ 10 and we still have good options.

You can't plan for a plane crash

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Un-named ARU spokesman has stated that ARU didn't pay a fee for Douglas:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...could-be-queensland-reds-20150724-gik29x.html

I think this could be a bit like when you make a purchase on the web using your work credit card. Yes it was you who did the buying , but technically you didn't pay for it, your work did.

The "give" for me in this is clubs negotiate with clubs about player movements - so why was it Lienster and the ARU talking and coming to an agreement not Lienster and the Reds?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think this could be a bit like when you make a purchase on the web using your work credit card. Yes it was you who did the buying , but technically you didn't pay for it, your work did.

The "give" for me in this is clubs negotiate with clubs about player movements - so why was it Lienster and the ARU talking and coming to an agreement not Lienster and the Reds?
If it was the reds, I wonder how transfer fees and the super rugby salary cap works?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If it was the reds, I wonder how transfer fees and the super rugby salary cap works?

Now that's a very, very interesting question. So you would assume that any money paid for a player as part of the contract, including such clauses as release fees etc will have to be accounted for under the cap,

So if this transaction is conducted all above board, there is at least (based on the reported figure) $370K that the Reds have flushed just for the release (ouch).

This is on the presumption that everyone is being transparent about this deal.

Or is the ARU "facilitating" in the shadows making more special arrangement?

I might sound a bit cynical and suspicious, but add this on to the public claims by the ARU that they aren't playing a part in all of these dealings, even with Cooper's situation, and the question of integrity and transparency does raise its head.

Are we about to see an emergence of a few "third party" payments? If so, I bet they will all be confidential! You can miss the fact that the rugby money tree has all of a sudden blossomed.

T

Train Without a Station

Remember how everybody said transfer fees were the solution to our problems?

Seems to be working out pretty well for Australian rugby...

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If we lose both we will make do, as we would at Hooker, Lock, THP etc etc

The point is we are losing the two current starters @ 10 and we still have good options.

You can't plan for a plane crash

But if you lose two players at the same position for the 7s, then it's a planned plane crash

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think there will be the mass exodus for the 7s you think there will be, MHCS.

I'd be surprised if they signed more than three players. A flyer (Speight, already confirmed), a playmaker (rumoured to be Cooper) and a loose forward (McMahon, Gill, Hooper).

Guys like Foley have already signed long-term contracts that give them very little wiggle room to play 7s, even though they may want to.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

Because Leinster are a branch of the IRFU. The rumour is that the ARU and the IRFU have fallen out very badly over this.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Because Leinster are a branch of the IRFU. The rumour is that the ARU and the IRFU have fallen out very badly over this.
Not surprised, and I bet its not the only relationship that may be damaged.

I also have a funny feeling that players now contracted by the ARU are no longer considered unavailable. Imagine a certain French Club owner with a massive war-chest overflowing with riches at his disposal deciding to go after Folau or other well know names because he is feeling a little aggrieved: and now its gloves off.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think there will be the mass exodus for the 7s you think there will be, MHCS.

I'd be surprised if they signed more than three players. A flyer (Speight, already confirmed), a playmaker (rumoured to be Cooper) and a loose forward (McMahon, Gill, Hooper).

Guys like Foley have already signed long-term contracts that give them very little wiggle room to play 7s, even though they may want to.

I can't remember where I read that the ARU is interested to pick 4 players for 7s: Cooper, Foley, Folau and Speight

T

TOCC

Interesting, they can't really hold it against the ARU of Douglas wanted to return home for compassionate reasons.. I can't see the ARU refusing to release a player if the situation were reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chisholm signed to Munster for 2 years from Bayonne. Were some whispers he might come home.

He finished on 58 Tests. Could've been interesting if he got 2 more - was in high demand from his good form.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Not really aussie player exodus news, but not sure where else to post this.

Former rebel Richard Kingi has apparently retired? Anyone heard why? He was only 26… so I would have to think it was injury?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Not really aussie player exodus news, but not sure where else to post this.

Former rebel Richard Kingi has apparently retired? Anyone heard why? He was only 26…so I would have to think it was injury?

Rebels thread? I recall him having a number of injuries back when he was in Melbourne. Perhaps it all caught up with him.