• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Excellent initiative, hadn't heard about this. I've long thought that they should do a similar thing for inside backs - Australia has struggled for depth at #10 especially over the years and if you had a regular training group that could bring in some of the top former players in those positions (9/10/12) to help coach and mentor players and really help to develop their skills then it could develop depth overall and improve the skills base.

It would also be beneficial for this tight 5 program to include local coaches as part of it - club/school, so that they are having their tight 5 coaching understanding improved as well, after all, the more we improve our coaches the more we improve our players.

It does! I'm one of those coaches you speak about. It's 50/50 coaches and players focussed.
I played backrow so Ill be learning a heap as well.
The coaches will be getting together regularly too with the NSW development blokes
The Aussie u/20 coach was there and he mentioned they want to bring in this type of thing for every position eventually. NZ have that in place already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pyle is out of contract come June. Would love him back at the Rebs, but if he was to partner Coleman at the Force, that wouldn't be a terrible thing for Australia Rugby.

Paulie we have to wait till June 2018. Sucks. Any tighthead with 50 Super Caps at 23 is worth their weight in gold, especially since he finally seemed to shed that puppy fat and was putting in excellent performances around the ground too.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
It does! I'm one of those coaches you speak about. It's 50/50 coaches and players focussed.
I played backrow so Ill be learning a heap as well.
The coaches will be getting together regularly too with the NSW development blokes
The Aussie u/20 coach was there and he mentioned they want to bring in this type of thing for every position eventually. NZ have that in place already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to hear. I coach and referee juniors and constantly realise how much there is to learn - I was a back so I am always interested to learn more about forward play. A very positive initiative, it can only benefit all of the players to have the coaches getting more upskilled. I hope it goes well for you.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Pretty certain Andrew Smith is just a world cup fill-in and has a contract with the Brumbies for next season

They have, he's not appearing in their squad on the website yet, but they haven't added Aidan Toua either - missing a few of their signed players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And the exodus in French Div 2 from Wikipedia (and a couple of lads not listed in Wikipedia)

Bezieres
Joshua Valentine
Phoenix Battye

Lyon
Damien Fitzpatrick

Aurillac
Lotu Taukeiaho

Albi
Christopher Seuteni
Afusipa Taumoepeau

Narbonne
Huia Edmonds
Thomas Boidin
Alexander Noel Holmes
Terterani Erasito
Damian James McClymont
Jonathan Jenkins
Rocky Elsom
Brett Sheehan
Daniel Halangahu
Clint Eadie
Tyrone Smith
Francis Fainifo
Gerard McCallum
Shaun Foley

Dax
Matt Henjak

Aix
Dallan Murphy

Bourgoin
Josh Holmes

Biarritz
Elvis Levi
Rodney Davies

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pro 12 (Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Italy)
Scarlets
Dylan Evans
Jack Payne

Munster
Sean Doyle
Mark Chisholm

Glascow
Sam Johnson
Taqele Naiyaravoro

Zebre
Luke Burgess

Benneton
Salesi Manu

England Premiership
Bath
Leroy Houston

Exeter
Mitch Lees
Julian Salvi
Ben White

Gloucester
Bill Meakes

Harlequins
James Horwill

Leicester
Lachlan McCaffrey
Peter Betham

London Irish
Brendan McKibbin

Wasps
George Smith
Ben Jacobs

Worcester
Cooper Vuna

Japanese Top League
Coca Cola Red Sparks
Sam Wykes
Nick Cummins

Munakata Sanix Blues
Andrew Everingham

Kintetsu Liners
Frank Winterstein

NTT Docomo Red Hurricanes
Israel Folau

NEC Green Rockets
Scott Higginbotham
Sam Norton-Knight

NTT Shining Arcs
Brackin Karauria-Henry

Ricoh Black Rams
Bernard Foley

Panasonic Wild Knights
Daniel Heenan
Berrick Barnes

Toyata Verblitz
Sam Bernstrom
Wycliff Palu

Honda Heat
Hugh McMeniman
Digby Ioane

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There's another 6-8 in the Championship too isn't there?

Edit: According to the almighty Wikipedia:

Bedford Blues
Myles Dorrian

Eaking trailfinders
Harrison Orr

Jersey
Dave McKern
Nick Haining

London Welsh
Ryan Hodson

Moslie
Scott Tolmie

Nottingham
Dan Montigue

Rotterham
Tim Cree

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fuck. 33 of them!

Those two shit me the most.
For PAE it was just a matter of time, but Pyle was 26 when he shipped overseas and was not even capped by then, I didn't watch many Rebels games before 2015, but have seen his youtube clips and they left me wondering why

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pyle basically did all the things a loosehead lock needed to do, but not all the things a lock needed to do, i.e. the trio of scrummaging, maul defence and physicality were lacking, despite strong carrying, good tackling and high quality lineout play, both individual takes and calling.

Having now played in a "more physical" league, with experienced players in and around him like Papé and Parisse, from what I've seen, he's far more capable in those areas. If he could replicate that improvement on return to the Soup, I'd be comfortable saying he could be Simmons deputy as a loosehead lock.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So that is about 100 Australians playing more or less professionally in Japan, France, UK, Italy, Ireland, to go along with the approx 150 contracted players in the 5 Australian Super Franchises.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How players in RWC semis and final come down off that high and back up straight away in Europe? That must take a high degree of self discipline.

T

TOCC

Officially 'announced' and ready to play from this weekend
CS4VtIBW4AA-LC_.jpg

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
The fuck?

Do they have any Frenchmen playing for them?

As Steve Hansen said, the European Rugby leagues are becoming similar to Soccer/Football leagues in Europe.

Strong leagues definitely don't mean you have strong nations (e.g. England in Football), however the problem is the effect it will have on the domestic leagues in Southern Hemisphere. It could be bad or could actually encourage more young kids to play as they see more money and more opportunities with Rugby Union than say League or AFL. Up to ARU, SANZAR etc. to adapt.