• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What will happen with Genia, Kepu, Gits and Mitchell. Will they be available for the RC next year?
Kepu has said many months ago that he would not make himself available. A RWC win might change his mind.
Gits has lost time to make up.
Does TGC move on to the next generation with 2019 in mind?

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Cheika has always been talking about squad depth so I reckon he will move on come next season and I expect guys like Speight, Stirzaker, Jack Deb, Kerevi to be in the mix

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Could see them all making themselves eligible for 2016 and being selected, as everybody is looking to pinch a Bledisloe while the Blecks are transitioning.

But otherwise I don't see Overseas players being selected before 2018 Rugby Championship, unless there's a significant injury crises or lack of depth.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Since the guys were all signed up before the new rule, they have to forego some of their club salary if they want to play Tests. I think that's fair, whilst clubs now respect the rule to make players available to Tests, they also would've paid overs for them on the belief they would be available to the club at all times.

Whilst yes they get match payments, according to Iain Payten, Giteau was still 250k out of pocket when you take out his club salary he didn't get and add match payments.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Except in an absolute emergency, we should only bring overseas players back for a World Cup.

We should give our locally based players every opportunity to cement their place in the team between World Cup years.

The importance of winning a World Cup trumps everything.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Reckon bringing overseas players into the fold the year before, either Rugby Championship or EOYT would be the best compromise, think that Gits and Mitchell would offer even more had the partnerships had a chance to develop over an additional period of time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a bit different, Quade's main attribute is his physical skill. In the case of the Carter, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell, Giteau most of their worth is their temperament and decision making.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This could be good for the next WC. I heard that Wilkinson teaches kicking to the Toulon's players.

So a Quade more mature with better effectiveness after being trained by a master of the dark arts of kicks just can be positive.
I would rather see Jonny teach him tackling technique

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would rather see Jonny teach him tackling technique

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

A lot of players could learn how to tackle by watching Wilkinson. Do you remember when he came out here the first time, we beat the buggers by a cricket score, but he played his heart out in defence particularly.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A lot of players could learn how to tackle by watching Wilkinson. Do you remember when he came out here the first time, we beat the buggers by a cricket score, but he played his heart out in defence particularly.

Remember it well. I'm anticipating the English tour next year will be somewhat similar.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Kepu has said many months ago that he would not make himself available.
He didn't say he wouldn't, he said he might not necessarily, left it open ended. Maybe he was just placating his employers or just stalling time to get his wife on board with the idea. One can hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fuck it, I'm going to end up watching Toulon now purely because they're quasi wallabies. I don't want to support them because of their hubris, but next year they can put out a XV of:
1. Salesi Ma'afu 14
2. Guilhem Guiardo 38
3. Matt Stevens 39
4. Paul O'Connell 108
5. Mamuka Gorgodze 65
6. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe 71
7. Juan Smith 70
8. Duane Vermeulen 35
9. Freddie Michalak 19
10. Quade Cooper 58
11. Drew Mitchell 69
12. Matt Giteau 101
13. Ma'a Nonu 102
14. Bryan Habana 117
15 Leigh Halfpenny 62

That's an insane team. 1,026 international caps. I'd imagine that'd be the most capped side any team has ever put out, provincial or international.

Equally as incredible is the ridiculously talented bench they'd have. Steffon Armitage, Samu Manoa, Mathieu Bastareaud, James O'Connor, Delon Armitage, Maxime Mermoz.

The mind boggles at the price tag for a team like that.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He didn't say he wouldn't, he said he might not necessarily, left it open ended. Maybe he was just placating his employers or just stalling time to get his wife on board with the idea. One can hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. He really has become world class in the last 12 months. Mind you we have a couple of good up and comers along with Holmes.