• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't we have the mid-season break for the June tests again next year? If that's the case, then wouldn't To'omua be eligible for the England tests, as he'll still be a contracted Brumbies player at that stage?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't follow. If To'omua is playing better footy, but not available, they shouldn't select others, in case they might later decide to go OS? Bear in mind the players you mention are all around 25-27 now, so hardly reaching "old blood" status. Sounds an odd selection approach.
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

Think you might be. My comment, whether it was clear or not, was in relation to the mid-year tests next year and in response to a general observation that To'omua ought not be selected because he had committed to go o/s at the end of the year (at least that's how I read it). To clarify, if Matt To'omua (or anyone else going o/s) is in best form compared with other candidates for a position at the time of the mid-year tests, or EOYT if the player concerned is available, then he ought not be overlooked in favour of a player in lesser form simply because he has committed to the other contract. What's to say the alternative player won't also take up an o/s contract for the following season or the one after (ie whenever their current contract expires)?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Don't we have the mid-season break for the June tests again next year? If that's the case, then wouldn't To'omua be eligible for the England tests, as he'll still be a contracted Brumbies player at that stage?
That is true, so yes he should be available for the Pom tests, but not the RC and beyond.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What lies behind To'omua's decision? has he fallen out with Cheika, is he disillusioned with Giteau being brought back into the fold or is he going where the money is toward the end of his career?
I favour a combination of the first 2 and am a little pissed off that it was allowed to get to this.
I wish people would stop talking about Inman as a possible test 12 - I hadnt heard that for a year and thought we'd passed that point.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
What lies behind To'omua's decision? has he fallen out with Cheika, is he disillusioned with Giteau being brought back into the fold or is he going where the money is toward the end of his career?
I favour a combination of the first 2 and am a little pissed off that it was allowed to get to this.
I wish people would stop talking about Inman as a possible test 12 - I hadnt heard that for a year and thought we'd passed that point.

None of those reasons. Apparently his girl friend wants to compete in England.
Same reason Kane Douglas really came back to Aussi & is now about to play for the Reds.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
What lies behind To'omua's decision?.

He's a 26/27 year old who wants to live and work overseas for a couple of years. Seems like a normal decision that most young Australian adults make for probably the same reason.

Probably helps getting paid in pounds rather than AUD and potentially any discounts on staying somewhere.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But he's on the verge on cementing a spot.
You are only young once, i seem to recall.
Terrible loss for Oz rugby, IMO.
None of those reasons. Apparently his girl friend wants to compete in England.
Same reason Kane Douglas really came back to Aussi & is now about to play for the Reds.

Good luck to them then.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Think you might be. My comment, whether it was clear or not, was in relation to the mid-year tests next year and in response to a general observation that To'omua ought not be selected because he had committed to go o/s at the end of the year (at least that's how I read it). To clarify, if Matt To'omua (or anyone else going o/s) is in best form compared with other candidates for a position at the time of the mid-year tests, or EOYT if the player concerned is available, then he ought not be overlooked in favour of a player in lesser form simply because he has committed to the other contract. What's to say the alternative player won't also take up an o/s contract for the following season or the one after (ie whenever their current contract expires)?
I agree To'omua should be in the selection frame mid-year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
But he's on the verge on cementing a spot.
You are only young once, i seem to recall.
Terrible loss for Oz rugby, IMO.

At the same time, do you hang around in your job that maybe one day you'll get that promotion you want?

Cheeks has made the ARU change the rule once, I'm sure it can be modified to be X number of Wallaby caps or Y amount of Super Rugby caps. Surely having say 100 super caps demonstrates a players sacrifice to staying in the Australian rugby.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He's a 26/27 year old who wants to live and work overseas for a couple of years. Seems like a normal decision that most young Australian adults make for probably the same reason.

Probably helps getting paid in pounds rather than AUD and potentially any discounts on staying somewhere.

This would make sense to me if he signed for a year or two. But 3 years really hurts his prospects as an international rugby player - especially when he is on the verge of cementing a spot and leaving at probably peak form in his career.

T

TOCC

A devastating loss in To'omua, Wallabies are looking light on for inside backs for post 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
This would make sense to me if he signed for a year or two. But 3 years really hurts his prospects as an international rugby player - especially when he is on the verge of cementing a spot and leaving at probably peak form in his career.
Might say something about how valuable the Wallaby jersey really is for these pro players...

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe his fiancé is more valuable. That's potentially for life.

But he doesn't have to give up his fiancée in order to stay in Aus and play for the wallabies.

I guess you could say, as a couple they value her career over his.

Anyway, I've always hated the justification of "I'm leaving for family", in some cases it is very very true, but in most cases wouldn't your family rather see you succeed at the highest level more-so then making extra money?

I think it simply comes downs too To'omua and his fiancé values travel, life experience, and their own finances over playing for the wallabies. Not that there is anything wrong with that but that's the reality.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
But he doesn't have to give up his fiancée in order to stay in Aus and play for the wallabies.

I guess you could say, as a couple they value her career over his.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr, like most happy couples, they enjoy spending time with one another and don't want to spend considerable time apart? At the end of the day, you can't be expected to perform well if your house isn't in order. If you're miserable consistently because you miss your partner how is that beneficial to Australian rugby or the Brumbies?

The 2016 season will be Matt's eighth season with the Brumbies. How much more does he have to give to demonstrate his "loyalty" to the Wallabies jersey?

Maybe it's because I'm a similar age and at a similar point of my career and life to Matt, but I don't see the problem. The ARU is a business, like all businesses, if you want to retain your best and loyal employees you need to make accommodations. The problem with having those specific metrics is that there will be "loyal" players like Matt who slip through the gaps.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Maybe it's two years with the third year as an option, much like his Brumbies contract that had previously been announced to run to the end of 2017.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe he is sick of all the travel, time away from home?

Maybe he wants to enjoy life a bit: how many young people would jump at the chance to work in England for a few years in a highly paid job?

Good on him, there is more than one path in life for most of us, he has chosen to march to the beat of his own drum.