• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Are there any wingers with a kicking game in the Aus franchises? What chance of DHP moving to the wing a la NMS or Ben Smith?
I have been asking the same question. I dont think he plays much wing though, so if he rips up in soup next season we might see him at full back and Folau on the wing

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Are there any wingers with a kicking game in the Aus franchises? What chance of DHP moving to the wing a la NMS or Ben Smith?

I would like to see DHP moved to the wing but I don't know if it would happen. It seems like a waste at the Force to Peter Grant, Jono Lance and Luke Burton in the same position. Given Jono's form in the NRC, I'd like to either see him start at 10 or start at 15.

I would also like to see DHP make the Wallabies. He doesn't have an enormous amount of pace, but he is strong in the tackle. We are eagerly awaiting our first WA produced Wallaby since the Force began.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
With Tomane also on the way out I wonder how long it will be before 60 tests becomes 40 or a set number of Super Rugby caps.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dunno if TGC'd go chasing Tomane. Surely there're other wingers ahead of Joe in the queue for gold jumpers.

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are we concerned the proposed USA ProRugby may be another future drain on our 'talent'?
Whilst it is an incredible opportunity for world rugby to boost the game (if it ever takes hold), plus another rugby career pathway for our players, the potential drain on our youth stocks could be large.
At the moment they are talking player payments of US40k which is equal to a current EPS contract and may be attractive to a young Aus player.

Proposed 6 teams moving to 10 teams with 3-5 imports each is possibly 50 young players from ITM and NRC player ranks, within a few short years.

If ProRugby survives and somehow links into the college system, look out. One of the US College Div 1 scholarships will make Bond Uni look like Rooty Hill High.

T

TOCC

Are we concerned the proposed USA ProRugby may be another future drain on our 'talent'?
Whilst it is an incredible opportunity for world rugby to boost the game (if it ever takes hold), plus another rugby career pathway for our players, the potential drain on our youth stocks could be large.
At the moment they are talking player payments of US40k which is equal to a current EPS contract and may be attractive to a young Aus player.

Proposed 6 teams moving to 10 teams with 3-5 imports each is possibly 50 young players from ITM and NRC player ranks, within a few short years.

If ProRugby survives and somehow links into the college system, look out. One of the US College Div 1 scholarships will make Bond Uni look like Rooty Hill High.

I think it will be a long time before this happen, any explosion of professionalism in the USA is definitely a potential threat to retaining talent in Australia, but growth of professionalism in the US could also be leveraged to make Australian rugby stronger.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vuna still going ok.

Never quite understood why he left, he did go to Japan but then went a played 2nd div for Worcester although now back in the Aviva.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Think they (Rebels) couldn't agree to financial terms. Believed he wanted to stay and he was a popular fan figure. It was at the time the Rebels were souring out the JOC (James O'Connor)/KB (Kurtley Beale) mess.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Taqele is killing it for Glasgow. Just unstoppable when given space on the wing.

Hopefully he's back next season.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No, hopefully he isn't. :p
Glasgow's tempo completely plays to his strengths. Desperately unlucky to be denied that try.

EDIT: Has a Brace, should have had a hat trick, night is till young.