• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You all think Jones is in his thinking he picked a tiny McMahon at 6 before he picked Jones there.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Some of us think that Jones has a lot of ability, but needs to mature physically.

Well, at least one of us does. Moi.

Would you put good money on Jones not making the grade this season?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You all think Jones is in his thinking he picked a tiny McMahon at 6 before he picked Jones there.

That would be a valid point if the theory was to replace Mcmahon with Jones. Keep Mcmahon.

Palu has to be replaced NOW, Fardy has to be replaced soon and Mumm can be replaced anytime.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I like Jones, I was one thinking Cheika was stupid for not playing Jones at 6 and playing McMahon.

If Jones has decided to leave with all of the above happening maybe he got told he wasn't in the plans

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ahh yup, fair.

Gonna take a stab at a top 23 for england (presuming Douglas still injured but Speight available from 7s)

1. Sio 2. Moore 3. Holmes
4. Simmons 5. Skelton
6 Fardy 8. Poey 7. Hoops

9. Phipps 10. Foley 12. To'omua 13. Kuridrani
11. Horne 15. Folau 14. Speight

16. TPN 17. Slipper 18. Smith (played TH v Baabaas) 19. Mumm/Coleman 20. Mccalman 21. Strizaker 22. Beale 23. Tomane

would also be happy with 13. Folau, 15. Beale and 22. Kuridrani....or Maybe Beale 12 and To'omua 22......AHH too much depends on where they play majority of Super Rugby.....

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Holmes is out the end of 2016 so I would be surprised if he got a run....

Not sure about Jones at 8. 6 most definitely. Lock cover - yes. 8 - ahhhhh maybe not. Agreed it would be a pity to see him go os if he does, but I would also understand if he did.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Holmes is out the end of 2016 so I would be surprised if he got a run..

Not sure about Jones at 8. 6 most definitely. Lock cover - yes. 8 - ahhhhh maybe not. Agreed it would be a pity to see him go os if he does, but I would also understand if he did.

Holmes said that Cheika said that if he is playing well then he will play.

Who are the other starting no. 3s? Holmes, Taavao probs, Faulkner, Alexander and probs Hagan over Weeks......

Would rather leave Holmes there considering the other eligible candidates in the short term.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am keen to see how Tetera Faulkner goes in S18. He only really made the switch to THP last year and he is a pretty strong scrummager. You'd start Holmes but I reckon you'd be well served with 20-30 minutes off the bench from Faulkner.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Holmes said that Cheika said that if he is playing well then he will play.

Who are the other starting no. 3s? Holmes, Taavao probs, Faulkner, Alexander and probs Hagan over Weeks..

Would rather leave Holmes there considering the other eligible candidates in the short term.
Kepu still qualified as Australian he be back

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ben Mowen wasn't the most natural no. 8 either but he ended up OK.

Agree on the rest, but pretty sure Mowen as a schoolboy and U21 rep player as 8, joined the Reds as an 8 and moved to the Tahs to play 8. Mowen was always an 8, just a different sort of 8 to the bruiser style. Although his style could look more like a blindside at senior level, I think that Mowen's roots and desired position was always 8.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Suggesting Holmes should be left out because he is off at the end of 2016 is simply illogical. If Cheika goes down that track, he would also be obliged to leave To'omua and Tomane out, and how many of the others might be off overseas as well but just haven't announced it? Sio? Poey? Every one else not on contract beyond 2016?

Just a nonsense idea.

A couple of big assumptions about some of the players. Will Foley and McCalman retain form after stints in Japan? Some evidence suggests there will be question marks over anyone playing continuously. Will Poey be on sabbatical?

And, while I think Coleman has a future at lock, Rory Arnold appears to be ahead of him in the pecking order atm.

The smokey at 3 could be Smith - Ruan that is, not Toby who imo should remain at Loose Head. It could well be that Ruan displaces Ben Alexander in the Brumbies' starting lineup in 2016, and if the Brumbies perform up to expectations, leading the Aus conference and perhaps in the top two overall, then a couple of outsiders could force their way into the Wallabies' squad.

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
Palu has already been replaced....

Not sure why Fardy needs to be replaced soon?

Previous Wallaby squad had 6 BRs, as most likely will the future one.

Fardy, Palu, Mccalman, Mcmahon, Pocock and Hooper...Palu is now gone...who are you saying has replaced him? And don't say Pocock, that wasn't a replacement, that was a positional shift. When Palu got injured at the world cup he was 'replaced' by James Hansen as Carter replaced Skelton.

Define 'soon'. Fardy is 31, would seem prudent to start involving at least ONE similar style player, (workhorse/lineout option) of a younger age in and around the squad in 2016 and at latest 2017 to build experience in our depth moving towards 2019.

We have great open style play young depth, obviously Pocock and hooper, but then look to mcmahon and gill and to a lesser extend butler, but when you look at who falls in behind the style of play categories of Mccalman/Palu and Fardy, there is a big gap which needs to be filled in sooner rather then later.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We always need to build depth.........

Talking about needing to 'replace' currently signed players is ridiculous.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if you would be this sensitive if it wasn't a Brumbies player being discussed?

Upthereds was saying Fardy would need to be replaced soon. I would interpret that to be the next year or two. That is a completely fair call. It is hard to see him around for the next World Cup and we need to think about a successor. No one is suggesting that Fardy is kicked out or anything like that. If Fardy wants to sign a three year deal at the end of the 2016 season, that may well close the discussion.

Nothing wrong with succession planning.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Succession planning at No 6 well and truly on track at the Brumbies. Smiler is almost a doppelganger for Fardy, and doesn't let anyone down whether he plays at 6 or lock. Very hard defender and great at the lineout.

The back row replacement for Palu could well be Ita Vaea if his health holds out. He will be a lot fitter this year, I'm guessing, and he already is the most damaging No 8 in the Aus conferences. Expect him to sit on the bench against England as cover for 6, 7 and 8 (Poey to move from 8 to 6 or 7 as needed).

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeh I wasn't saying kick Fardy out, he's doing a great job and is the best for that jersey atm. All about when he does need to be replaced, whether its from injury, moving away or performance based, one would like to think that whoever steps up to fill that style of player, isn't a total newbie to the wallaby environment.

Agree with Brumby Runner that Vaea may take Palus 'spot' in the backrow contingent, but also that because of Fardys age, it would be prudent to start considering the person who would do the same for him and start to apprentice him kindaaaa like what Mccaw did with Cane.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Succession planning at No 6 well and truly on track at the Brumbies. Smiler is almost a doppelganger for Fardy, and doesn't let anyone down whether he plays at 6 or lock. Very hard defender and great at the lineout.

The hard decision is if he can make it through the 4 year cycle. I don't want to rain on Jordan Smiler's parade as he is 30 and was half out the Brumbies door to France but family considerations changed that and has options to move.

So here are my contenders by age

Jordan Smiler aka Doppelganger - 30
Dave Dennis - 29
Angus Cottrell - 26
Luke Jones - 24
Tom Cusack - post Rio - More Brumbies succession planning - 23
Oakman-Hunt Twins - More Brumbies succession planning - 23
Jed Holloway - 23
Ross Haylett- Petty - 22
Lolo Fakaosilea - 21