• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

kaze33

Stan Wickham (3)
According to different news in France, it's nearly sure that Pocock will stay in Australia :)

For us, in Bordeaux, one thing is sure,Pocock will not come here ;)

At this moment, we are more looking after Ita Vaea than David Pocock :D

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hoping he stays. But are we really shocked that he has attracted offers from overseas? With the retirement of McCaw I don't think that there is even an argument that he is the best Openside Flanker in the world now.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
except he's a number 8! :)

IMO, this doesn't matter much. Australia is playing a backrow set-up that is completely different tactically to any other major nation. On defence, Hooper is operating as a tackler wide of the ruck using his natural speed over 20 metres to get to people as the ball arrives. Pocock is operating as second man in behind him to try and pilfer. If the other team operates closer to the ruck, then Pocock is still there as tackler using his natural strength to dominate.

In attack Pocock works as a link runner and Hooper as a linebreaker. They have completely different functions. We operate completely differently to everyone else and that is by design. Only Fardy could be thought of as a conventional backrower.

Operating as we do, conventional numbering and conventional backrow functions are of no matter whatsoever. Pocock is not a number 8, we don't have a conventional 8, but we go a whole lot better than most others - take England for example who play with three 6's (or used to). Eddie will toss that plan into the WPB very quickly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not entirely in the intent of the thread but I stumbled on this from the Australian Schools Rugby Website:
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2016...nlay-bealham-called-into-ireland-six-nations/

Congratulations to Finlay Bealham for his recent call up to the Ireland squad for the Six Nations
Finlay was a student of St Edmund’s College, Canberra who represented ACT Schools at the National Championships in 2009; gaining selection in the Australia A team, playing against Tonga and New Zealand Schools.
Finlay_Bealham_3-230x300.png

Well done, that man.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Windsor is a cracking player - he killed in the NRC for the Eagles in 2014 and it's a mistake he wasn't kept in Aust rugby IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

So Luke Jones is heading to France as well, a real shame.. Wallabies lose Dennis and Jones in the same year, a year after Higgers headed overseas, Pocock might be taking a sabbatical.. What's Fardy's contract status?

Backrow and THP depth of the Wallabies Is starting to look really grim.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So Luke Jones is heading to France as well, a real shame.. Wallabies lose Dennis and Jones in the same year, a year after Higgers headed overseas, Pocock might be taking a sabbatical.. What's Fardy's contract status?

Backrow and THP depth of the Wallabies Is starting to look really grim.

The 2017 Overseas Wallabies squad is looking pretty shit hot though.... keeps getting harder and harder to crack that 1st XV.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

kaze33

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes it's official, Luke Jones for two years at Bordeaux Begles.

cbvd0q10.jpg

According to "Sud Ouest" the contract was signed at the end of december but the player asked for a later announcement ;)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wouldn't be surprised if Houston and/or Higs came back for 2017 Super Rugby. Higs will have just finished his 2nd season in Japan, and Houston has alot of competition at Bath.

Reds will lose H.Tui I think because Japanese players have a 2 year limit in Aus, and the Rebels may only have thompson for 1 season and are losing Jones.

Higs back to Melbourne and Houston to the Reds would seem the right fit...but I'd prefer a 6. higs 8. Houston 7. Pocock backrow at the reds :) keeping up my wishful thinking