• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Think he's off to work for Eddie in the the English set up. Whether it's just consultancy work, or as a full-time thing I'm not sure.

Smith is not leaving Wasps I'm pretty sure, just being 'borrowed' by the England setup to help advise their loosies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Comments from Bernie on the news suggest that Poey wants time off to refresh to ensure that he makes it to the next world cup. If that's the truth, I'm more than comfortable with him taking the year off. It should theoretically help him extend his career.

It'll be interesting to see how we cope without him in 2017.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The loss of Luke Jones is bit of a bummer. I had thought Cheika might have plans to develop him as the next Fardy but i guess not. I would have thought that I guy like Jones would at least confer with the national coach about his decision.

Still I suppose there is still plenty of opportunity for him to make a tilt at the next world cup. A guy like Dean Mumm showed the benefit of maturing as player through a stint up north.

T

TOCC

So if Pocock signs to stay in Australia, Bernie and Cheika have pretty much admitted that he won't be available for 2017 while he takes a sabbatical.

This is the Wallabies squad of 2017 who won't be playing in Australia:

1. Kepu
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Jones
6. Higgers
7. Gill
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Tomane
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

17. PAE
18. Longbottom
19. D.Dennis
20. G.Smith
21. To'omua
22. Mogg

Sure a few like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Giteau and Mitchell might be pushing the age limit, but they were also 3 of the best in 2015.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It'll be interesting to see how we cope without him in 2017.

We will be fine. Australia does not lack for an embarassment of riches at openside.

Filling the void at tighthead and at blindside are the pressing concerns for TGC

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
We will be fine. Australia does not lack for an embarassment of riches at openside.

Filling the void at tighthead and at blindside are the pressing concerns for TGC

I think 2013 & 2014 highlighted what a massive hole Pocock leaves. There are some good 7's in Australia but none really come close to his calibre - which isn't a sleight on them. Hardly anyone in the world come close to him...

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The loss of Luke Jones is bit of a bummer. I had thought Cheika might have plans to develop him as the next Fardy but i guess not. I would have thought that I guy like Jones would at least confer with the national coach about his decision.

What makes you sure he didn't do exactly that? Coming off his Wallabies debut in 2014, he had his best ever Super Rugby year in 2015 yet wasn't even in Cheika's extended squad prior to TRC, with uncapped Coleman & Arnold ahead of him.

Then, the ARU brought Mumm & Douglas back ahead of him as well..

I think it's fair to say he would have asked for some feedback at that point...

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
So if Pocock signs to stay in Australia, Bernie and Cheika have pretty much admitted that he won't be available for 2017 while he takes a sabbatical.

1. Kepu
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Jones
6. Higgers
7. Gill
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
14. Tomane
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

17. PAE
18. Longbottom
19. D.Dennis
20. G.Smith
21. To'omua
22. Mogg

Sure a few like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Giteau and Mitchell might be pushing the age limit, but they were also 3 of the best in 2015.

Huia Edmonds at hooker perhaps?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What makes you sure he didn't do exactly that? Coming off his Wallabies debut in 2014, he had his best ever Super Rugby year in 2015 yet wasn't even in Cheika's extended squad prior to TRC, with uncapped Coleman & Arnold ahead of him.

Then, the ARU brought Mumm & Douglas back ahead of him as well..

I think it's fair to say he would have asked for some feedback at that point.

Would it have done anything. Cheika has come out and said he told Gill he was in his plans for this year but he still left. The $$ over there is too good unless your a certain in the Test 23.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I might be wrong about this but my understanding of the new eligibility rules is that if you are based overseas and you have signed a contract to return to Super Rugby the following year, you are automatically eligible.

So if Jones signed for the 2017-2018 season overseas then in 2018 he signs for an Aussie side to return in 2019, he's technically eligible in 2018. Meaning that although he is overseas in 2017 and 2018, 2017 would be the only year he is not eligible.

Am I wrong about how that works?

I'm not suggesting that he would be selected but with a lot of guys opting for a 2 year stint overseas, it really means that they technically could only miss one year of test eligibility.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Coache
Would it have done anything. Cheika has come out and said he told Gill he was in his plans for this year but he still left. The $$ over there is too good unless your a certain in the Test 23.

coaches at all levels try and keep players by "dandling the carrot". The modern day player seems a bit smarter than believing everything they are told.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Coache

coaches at all levels try and keep players by "dandling the carrot". The modern day player seems a bit smarter than believing everything they are told.

We never know the whole story, do we? All we can do is speculate on what might, or might not, resemble the truth.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

1. Kepu
3. Holmes
4. Horwill
5. Jones
6. Higgers
7. Gill
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
14. Tomane
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

17. PAE
18. Longbottom
19. D.Dennis
20. G.Smith
21. To'omua
22. Mogg

I think Ioane in 22, Mogg 23.

Barnes probably disappointed he can't even crack the "overseas" team.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk