• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

I've said it before, depth isn't the issue.. Money is the issue, Australia can't afford to retain all the players it produces..

Which is essence means Australia struggles with depth actually in Australia.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
List isn't the be all and end all. Cummins and Winterstein are back in Australia to play 7s, I knowingly excluded Lalakai Foketi and Jono Owen from the list whom are playing in the NPC/ITM/MITRE 10 CUP.

And while there's depth, I'd wager at least a dozen couldn't ever play for Australia (Hayward, Hart, the Toolis twins, Peterson, Jerry Y, Campese Maafu, Alofa Alofa, Nadolo, Atkins, Volavola and Ala'alatoa off the top of my head) who couldn't play even if they wanted to (due to other international caps, or only being eligible based on residency). Then there'll be a small handful who'll probably be looking to get capped for a European side when eligible. Off the top of my head, I'd guess Salesi Manu, Sam Johnson and Hugh Pyle would fall into this category for Italy, Scotland and France respectively, although how close any of them, particularly Johnson will get to it, I don't know.

There's depth, but there's a combination of not enough places to retain it (e.g. No hookers spots for Poreki), not enough money for capped players (see anybody), not enough money for uncapped players (see PAE and Longbottom) and a lack of desire to develop players outside the Mold (Chris Seuteni was playing at tighthead, weighing in at 155kg, went to France, trimmed down to 130kg, one of the best paid in the ProD2, Brock James career for Clermont, no persisiting with Nadolo etc.)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I've said it before, depth isn't the issue.. Money is the issue, Australia can't afford to retain all the players it produces..

Which is essence means Australia struggles with depth actually in Australia.

I don't think any country can. If its not money its opportunity so players will move regardless.

With some countries imposing "quotas" on foreign players, and there being only a finite amount of opportunity, if we increase our stocks with a view of oversupply then it will slow the trend.

If you look to other sports they contract young and train / develop, then lease out players for use by teams and to further their development. Later they retain wanted talent and can on-sell others that are surplus. Those that do not make the grade are release.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Nic White looking to come home.

3118288524aa7eac8e65b31f0e596334.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The ARU can't win, "if" the numbers are right and Beale will get $1,432,327 AUD per year then to get close to matching that would lead to just as many complaints of Tahs bias o_O in paying that much for a test bench option

Flexi contracts are a compromise to keep players

The reality is the only players I have major concerns over them leaving are\were To'omua, Kepu and Holmes (and To'omua appears to be more about relationships than $$$)

Quade? watched the highlights of the 7s, best of luck in France, Foley, Lilo & Debracini look far better options

Gill? 3rd choice 7s don't get offered big contracts

Jones, best of luck, but he ain't a test lock, solid S15 unit, so as concerned about his leaving as much as I am Dave Dennis.

Pocock? If he leaves for the reasons stated, money and the ARU isn't the issue

Mumm? wanted to come back, when some of these do the same, if they do, then the ARU will provide the support.

Here we go again with that he isn't a test player crap when a player hasn't really seen the opportunity to answer that question beyond un-quantitative forum rhetoric. On the other hand we have a player like Mumm was has been afforded that opportunity and proven not to be test standard. He was no great loss to Australian rugby and yet his return is just as insignificant.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely Nic White would go back to the Brumbies. I don't really know if anyone else really needs him. The Brumbies don't exactly need him but Cubelli wouldn't be a long term option I wouldn't have thought.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, if Cheika can keep talking Australian players to return to super rugby, I personally hope he keeps it up.

So long as they're the right ones - ie, those who might have a shot at RWC 2019, not those who are at the end of their careers.

Reactions: mst

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Here we go again with that he isn't a test player crap when a player hasn't really seen the opportunity to answer that question beyond un-quantitative forum rhetoric. On the other hand we have a player like Mumm was has been afforded that opportunity and proven not to be test standard. He was no great loss to Australian rugby and yet his return is just as insignificant.

despite not getting an opportunity I am confident using un-quantitative forum rhetoric that I ain't a test player either

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Wallabies overseas starting XV:

15 Kurtley Beale (Wasps)/ James O'Connor (Toulon)
14 Joe Tomane (Montpellier)
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper (Bordeaux)
12 Matt Giteau (Toulon)/Matt To'omua (Leicester)
11 Drew Mitchell (Toulon)/Digby Ioane (Honda Heat)
10 Quade Cooper (Toulon)/Berrick Barnes (Panasonic)
9 Will Genia (Stade Francais)/ Nic White (Montpellier)
8 George Smith (Wasps)
7 Liam Gill (Toulon)
6 Scott Higginbotham (NEC Green Rockets)/Ben Mowen (Montpellier)
5 James Horwill (Harlequins)
4 Sitaleki Timani (Montpellier)
3 Salesi Ma’afu (Cardiff Blues)
2 John Ulugia (Clermont)
1 Sekope Kepu (Bordeaux)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ma'afu got sacked from Toulon. He's now the 2nd string tighthead at the Cardiff Blues.

Digby moved to Japan after 2 or 3 awful years of form and injury in France where he's continued on that trajectory.

Mowen at 4 when you've got Chisholm and S Timani overseas?

Very odd and somewhat poorly researched 23 mate.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ma'afu got sacked from Toulon. He's now the 2nd string tighthead at the Cardiff Blues.

Digby moved to Japan after 2 or 3 awful years of form and injury in France where he's continued on that trajectory.

Mowen at 4 when you've got Chisholm and S Timani overseas?

Very odd and somewhat poorly researched 23 mate.

Oooohhh you are right. I forgot Timani, haha. Yeah now I remember that Digby is in Japan ATM bu I don't care about him because for me he's almost a former player like Palu

half

Alan Cameron (40)
As an aside does the expansion of Super Rugby to Japan & Argentina place added pressure on Australia playing stocks.

Thoughts.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do you mean with injuries? You'd have thought more travel = less recovery time = more injury or something like that. I can't say I've noticed a significant difference.

I wonder if the players find the prospect of the expansion exciting and it becomes a carrot to either stay or return from overseas. Maybe the opposite- not more travel.