• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

). - If players do have the option to switch back they must not have played international rugby for 5 years but also must be a resident of the country (for 1 year) they wish to compete for.

That last rule makes it a bit hard for those countries without professional domestic competitions, which are already the ones at risk of losing their players to other nations.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
This is third hand so allow for maybe some change as told from person A to person B and then from person B to me.

Anywho a client of mine who is a rugby diehard, tells me a friend of his of PI background who has been in the country over 40 years... this guy i.e. the guy who has been in Australia for over 40 years tells my diehard rugby client the following.

His youngest son who is 19 is going to Europe to see if he can make a European rugby side because as the kid sees it there are not enough places available to play professional rugby in Australia and he see Europe has more chances. What makes the move easier is he has a relative in France he can stay with.

I wonder aloud if this is repeated elsewhere and to some extent on will the kid actually move or is it just talk, or an idea his dad has, as the story came from the dad not the son.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is third hand so allow for maybe some change as told from person A to person B and then from person B to me.

Anywho a client of mine who is a rugby diehard, tells me a friend of his of PI background who has been in the country over 40 years. this guy i.e. the guy who has been in Australia for over 40 years tells my diehard rugby client the following.

His youngest son who is 19 is going to Europe to see if he can make a European rugby side because as the kid sees it there are not enough places available to play professional rugby in Australia and he see Europe has more chances. What makes the move easier is he has a relative in France he can stay with.

I wonder aloud if this is repeated elsewhere and to some extent on will the kid actually move or is it just talk, or an idea his dad has, as the story came from the dad not the son.

that's fairly common place. The French don't play rugby in schools so find their juniors pretty unskillful. As such finding talent from other countries is a common approach. Plus they have so many professional teams to fill

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
More teams, more money and infinitely more investment in grass roots rugby particularly in England. If my kid wanted to go professional i'd stick him on a plane.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
That last rule makes it a bit hard for those countries without professional domestic competitions, which are already the ones at risk of losing their players to other nations.

Yeah I just don't want to see a situation whereby a players like Charles Piutau become big names by representing the All Blacks, take the riches offered overseas then expect to be able to play for Tonga.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
More teams, more money and infinitely more investment in grass roots rugby particularly in England. If my kid wanted to go professional i'd stick him on a plane.

We (rugby in Australia) already competes with the 400 professional positions available in the NRL.

T

TOCC

Aussies Abroad XV

1. Alo-Emile
2. TPN
3. Greg Holmes
4. Luke Jones
5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Fardy
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. Mike Harris
11. Cooper Vuna
12. Matt To'omua
13. Mitch Inman
14. Joe Tomane
15. Jesse Mogg

17. Nathan Charles
19. Sitaleki Timani
20. Leroy Houston
21. Nick Frisby
22. Rob Horne
23. Peter Betham

WTS
Hugh Pyle
Zack Holmes
Curtis Browning
Jake McIntyre
Peter Kimlin
Dave Dennis
Ed Fidow

Alo Emile and Fidow are both capped by Samoa and Tonga so don't really count, but i was short a prop or two.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussies Abroad XV

1. Alo-Emile
2. TPN
3. Greg Holmes
4. Luke Jones
5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Fardy
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Nic White
10. Mike Harris
11. Cooper Vuna
12. Matt To'omua
13. Mitch Inman
14. Joe Tomane
15. Jesse Mogg

17. Nathan Charles
19. Sitaleki Timani
20. Leroy Houston
21. Nick Frisby
22. Rob Horne
23. Peter Betham

WTS
Hugh Pyle
Zack Holmes
Curtis Browning
Jake McIntyre
Peter Kimlin
Dave Dennis
Ed Fidow

Alo Emile and Fidow are both capped by Samoa and Tonga so don't really count, but i was short a prop or two.

Cooper Vunu capped too. There’s some Japan based options too.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Michael Alaatoa at LH, Pete Samu also a shoe in. Both born and bred Aussies killing it for the Saders.

Dave Dennis, Julian Salvi and Mitch Lees all playing good minutes for Exeter.

Sean McMahon an obvious no8.

JOC (James O'Connor) at Sale

Toby Smith at the canes

Plus Blair Connor, even Shannon Frizell from the Highlanders (NRL Star Tyson’s brother) made his debut last week.

I’ll ignore players that are prob past it but my team would be

1. MAT
2. TPN
3. Holmes
4. Jones
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Gill
8. McMahon
9. White
10. Harris
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Horne
14. Betham
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

16. S Fainga'a
17. Toby Smith
18. THP
19. Dennis
20. Samu
21. Skelton
22. Frisby
23. Mogg

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would love for Cheika to go against the trend and pick MAT for June series, he is an absolute monster around the park and the set piece. Sio, MAT and Slipper with Kepu, Tupou and AAT would be an absolute strength on the int stage

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
1. MAT
2. TPN
3. Holmes
4. Jones
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Gill
8. McMahon
9. White
10. Harris Sam Greene
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Horne Campbell Magnay
14. Betham
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

16. S Fainga'a
17. LHP Matt Mafi ?
18. THP Albert Anae ?
19. Dennis Kimlin
20. Samu
21. Skelton Frisby
22. Harris
23. Mogg Horne

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
6. Fardy
7. Gill
8. McMahon

Would take that back row over anything the Wallabies are going to be able to produce this year. To be honest I am glad that back row can't play against Ireland in June. It's so perfectly balanced, don't care how good Hooper and Pocock are as individuals. They can't both play and still have a good balanced forward pack.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Would love for Cheika to go against the trend and pick MAT for June series, he is an absolute monster around the park and the set piece. Sio, MAT and Slipper with Kepu, Tupou and AAT would be an absolute strength on the int stage

The wallabies are going to lose Mike to Samoa if they don’t cap him soon

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

He's not allowed to, is he? It would be great if you could select any Aus player as long as they were playing in Super Rugby rather than Australian rugby. Not the case AFAIK.

Christ that team outlined above would give the current Wallabies a serious run for their money. We need to fix this shit.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I forgot to add Zack Holmes, who is carving out a very nice career in France. If i could bring back 2 players and place them into the super clubs it'd be

Reds - Gill and Tomane. Wright could then spend a season or 2 an impact forward. Tomane for outside with Perese would be a good wing combo
Tahs - MAT and Fardy. Second row strengthened, so Simmons, Hanigan and Fardy all lineout options solved and the front row issues would be largely gone with Kepu and MAT upfront.
Brumbies - McMahon and To'omua. Gives the pack so actual mongrel and some class at 12. McMahon, Pocock and Naisarani would be just about the class backrow of the comp.
Rebels - Harris and Holmes. Gives the Rebs a great kicker and solidify that scrum up.

So hard to pick, with plenty of good players

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
McMahon was at the Rebels game on Friday night. Would love to get him back to replace Mafi next year.

I'd expect to see Luke Jones back in Australia (Hopefully Rebels colors) in 2019

T

TOCC

MAT would have to sign a future 2 year deal in Australia to be eligible to be picked from an overseas club.

I imagine he would have to negotiate with the NZRU as well, like Australia I’m sure there’s a clause which says he makes himself available for All Blacks selection.. been selected for Australia may impact on his contract

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ NZR allows Franchises to have up to three players on their books who aren't currently NZ-eligible. One can be someone intending to qualify by residence under WR (World Rugby) regs; one can be someone who will never qualify (usually referred to as a Marquee Player); the other(s) can be PI-eligible regardless of whether or not they intend to become NZ-qualified. My info is that Ala'ala'toa is currently under #3 but given he's never formally committed to Samoa I suspect he's really there under #1 & given also the rate at which we're burning through props right now I wouldn't be surprised to see him on our EOYT, this being his third year in the NZ system.