• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
clear
Apparently the Brums and Rebs are chasing Pete Samu which would be a blessing for Aussie 6 stocks
Clearly he has been well schooled and developed since he left Australia - not a good reflection of the system here to state the bleeding obvious

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I reckon Folau will leave Australia at the end of his contract.

The bloke is not silly and the recent events have galvanised offers from several sources. A cynic may actually believe it was a well thought out strategy purely designed to increase his paypacket. God works in mysterious ways.

It's really all about the dosh. To keep him RA will have to chuck another million at him and swallow the criticism that will surely follow. He will never go back to league - they don't NEED him.
Overseas clubs will increase offers because this bloke guarantees a lot more bums on seats,
irrespective of his personal views.

I don't think he is bright enough to develop your proposed strategy

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Hey Stoff would that also be considered workers comp? I'd imagine it would be the same a most employers obligations to get the employee fit for work again. What a shame this has had to happen for Jordy to get a game he'd be a pretty handy 7 to have around the club.
I have no idea how it works for pro sportspeople. Morally it would seem the right thing to do though. Jordy apparently got too much game time while injured last year which lead to the long term injury. I don’t think he would have seen any game time this year even if contracted. Colby Fainga'a is way ahead of him and he is struggling for match time with he way Wessels seems to view 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Idk if it's been mentioned but there has been rumours of us getting one back in Pete Samu. Apparently Chek is keen to bring him back

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tomane and Mogg also being released by their club - opportunity for an Aus club to jump on them?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I doub't the ARU would help pitch in for tomane and mogg - whilst of national interest they wouldn't be guarenteed a top up, therefore your're talking about a Super Rugby club gunning it alone to outbid the reported interest from other french clubs. Whilst the Reds could use a FB like Mogg and the Tahs could use a replacement for Naiyaravoro in Tomane, I just can't see either club being able to get close to what they would command there. Would help if the Reds could get Quade and Hunt off the books, but they will also be having to re sign a lot of their 19 and 20 year olds to full/improved contracts which all adds up.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I doub't the ARU would help pitch in for tomane and mogg - whilst of national interest they wouldn't be guarenteed a top up, therefore your're talking about a Super Rugby club gunning it alone to outbid the reported interest from other french clubs. Whilst the Reds could use a FB like Mogg and the Tahs could use a replacement for Naiyaravoro in Tomane, I just can't see either club being able to get close to what they would command there. Would help if the Reds could get Quade and Hunt off the books, but they will also be having to re sign a lot of their 19 and 20 year olds to full/improved contracts which all adds up.

Only chance i see them signing would be a 1 yr deal pushing for a wc spot.

Do some merry-go-round transfers, Quade and Hunt off to Rebels (need a 10) and Brums (need a 12) respectively, Mogg (need a 15) and McMahon (Smith replacement) to Reds, Tomane (need a wing) to Tahs.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd love to have Tomane back in the country, but I also think he'd be behind a few other back 3 guys. Folau is a nailed on starter, and then the wings are fought over by Hodge, DHP, Koroibete, and Naivalu. The one advantage Tomane has over those guys is his ability to cover 13 in a pinch, which frees up that bench spot for more general outside back cover.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I haven't watched much of Tomane overseas but he left right when he'd finally developed into an elite player and would have been a first choice Wallaby.

I wouldn't be betting against him being right there with Naivalu and Koroibete and also potentially having enough of an all round game now to compete with DHP and Hodge for that second fullback role.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a huge leap sideways BH. Joe played predominantly on the wing with some cameos at 13 for the Brumbies/Wallabies. On your admittedly scarce viewing of him overseas, what makes you think he would now compete with the likes of DHP at fullback? Or. do you think (like Hooper/Pocock) that he is definitely one of the best 15 players and therefore a place has to be found for him?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a huge leap sideways BH. Joe played predominantly on the wing with some cameos at 13 for the Brumbies/Wallabies. On your admittedly scarce viewing of him overseas, what makes you think he would now compete with the likes of DHP at fullback? Or. do you think (like Hooper/Pocock) that he is definitely one of the best 15 players and therefore a place has to be found for him?

I thought he had a better kicking game when he left than a non-kicking winger and I think that has improved since. My point was that he could potentially challenge for that second fullback wing spot rather than only being a candidate for one wing like Naivalu or Koroibete. I could be wrong and his skills in that area might not be up to it.

It wouldn't be a case of being as good a fullback as DHP. It would be a case of having enough of a kicking game that he can fill that wing role.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought he had a better kicking game when he left than a non-kicking winger and I think that has improved since. My point was that he could potentially challenge for that second fullback wing spot rather than only being a candidate for one wing like Naivalu or Koroibete. I could be wrong and his skills in that area might not be up to it.

It wouldn't be a case of being as good a fullback as DHP. It would be a case of having enough of a kicking game that he can fill that wing role.

Interesting. If Cheika takes the Tahs' approach and plays Folau on the wing (where he probably should be), and DHP goes to fullback, just who would be the other winger with a reasonable kicking game to take the third spot? Can't say I've seen either of Koriobete or Naivalu kick and I'd say with some certainty that Naiyaravoro doesn't kick. If your intuition about Tomane is right, then he would be a valuable asset but like others I think he'll probably stay in Europe.

Actually, as a died in the wool Brumbies' fan, I'd have to say that Speight has a better kicking game than I'd ever seen from Joe, though. But not good enough to qualify as a Winger/Fullback. Maybe time to try someone like Banks on the wing for the Wallabies? Or even better, does Duagunu have the kicking skills to match his obvious other talents as a winger?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika likes Maddocks - I'd see him as a future DHP, not a flyhalf. The thought of Maddocks and Hodge being flyhalves should seriously be benched, not enough vision and team direction.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Maddocks will be in the squad but can't see him playing the first test. He has too many defensive issues and there are currently other good players who will miss out as well.

I think Hodge is on thin ice formwise but he covers a bunch of positions off the bench so I think he will make the 23. I don't see him starting though.