• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry I’m a tad confused jimmy_crouch over on the tahs thread said JOC (James O'Connor) has played 4 games this year at outside centre and only 1 at inside...with that information I wouldn’t say that he is currently playing inside centre. Would you?

I would, because he is currently playing at inside centre......... hence why in that article posted above he's been picked at 12 in the team of the week.

He has been alternating between the centres at Sale, but he's played at inside centre in at least the last three matches (probably more, but the Sale team lists incorrectly swap around JOC (James O'Connor) and James on their team lists).

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/video/highlights-sale-sharks-v-saracens-round-12/

What I don't understand is why you're pushing so hard for JOC (James O'Connor) when you haven't actually been watching him play?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I would, because he is currently playing at inside centre... hence why in that article posted above he's been picked at 12 in the team of the week.

He has been alternating between the centres at Sale, but he's played at inside centre in at least the last three matches (probably more, but the Sale team lists incorrectly swap around JOC (James O'Connor) and James on their team lists).

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/video/highlights-sale-sharks-v-saracens-round-12/

What I don't understand is why you're pushing so hard for JOC (James O'Connor) when you haven't actually been watching him play?

So what, he plays a couple of games in a row at inside centre and he automatically can’t play anywhere else? It’s not like he is playing there exclusively. And close to half his test matches are at wing, does that count for nothing?

I’m not pushing so hard about it at all you’re just so dismissive that anything other than total agreement with you is seen as such. Grow up, he is a good player don’t let your bias cloud your judgement

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let's unpack this..........

So what, he plays a couple of games in a row at inside centre

More than a couple of games - it's where he's been playing for the last month and where he's likely to continue playing for Sale.........

and he automatically can’t play anywhere else?

Well no, he's also been playing in the other centre position......... although he would sometimes be positioned at inside centre in those matches, switching with James.

It’s not like he is playing there exclusively.

Possibly not, but it's where he'll likely continue to play and where he's received his latest plaudits.........

And close to half his test matches are at wing, does that count for nothing?

Maybe not for nothing, but that was five years ago and it probably wouldn't be in anybody's best interest for him to play on the wing, except for maybe, maybe at the Tahs......... and then would you really want JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, KHunt and Buddy Franklin all out in Bondi until 4am?

I’m not pushing so hard about it at all you’re just so dismissive that anything other than total agreement with you is seen as such. Grow up, he is a good player don’t let your bias cloud your judgement

Well, you have been championing him quite hard over a number of threads, which is strange because it's largely based on the player he once was, and not who he is now?

I have watched some of his recent games, and while he's playing alright (seems to have fit in with the new combos at Sale), I would still not want him at my team as he has a long history of being a toxic individual, and we have a fine cache of quality young players to develop over the coming years..............

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, let's come back to the original point where I conceded that if a team like the Brumbies were to ever sign him it would be at 12, the one position they're short on depth, and the position JOC (James O'Connor) is currently playing, and playing reasonably well......... that make sense right?

Anyways, I think I've exhausted this topic.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Uncompromising. Harsh. Unforgiving.

Al-Swearengen-Screenshot.jpg

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
OK - so now I've got a bit of time, I thought it'd be interesting to report back to GAGR the contents of a post I found on Reddit the other day.

Someone asked every NH fan to report back with how the Australian's in their team had been faring over their tenure at their respective clubs, and the results are below:

Forwards:

TPN - 'very disappointing when he first came over', 'tends to trundle around a bit', 'has been better recently', 'lineout throwing has been subpar'.

Butler - club captain in his second season at Connacht, 'magnificent', 'incredible', natural leader, huge number of tackles, good support lines.

Fainga'a - growing into his game, 'started looking like a beast lately', 'really good signing', 'massive amount of work', 'important player for Connacht'.

Fardy - 'cult hero', strictly plays second row, 'puts in massive performances', 'total gent and fantastic player', 'often pops up on the wing and has scored a fair few tries'.

Skelton - 'much better this season', 'brilliant player but needs to stop getting yellows'.

Richie Arnold - 'pretty decent', only played one game.

Gill - playing very well.

Timani - 'playing very well', 'brings a lot of physicality', 'is brilliant at the breakdown'.

Dennis - 'not a super star but usually puts in a solid performance'.

Greg Holmes - 'did pretty well'.

Horwill - 'brings so much leadership to a group of aggressive / young forwards. He really keeps a lid on things and stops them from boiling over', 'brilliant in his gameplay as well', 'underrated', 'none of the headline grabbing stuff'.

Backs:

Alofa - covers 11-15, 'strong runner and defender', 'great to have around'.

Tapuai - playing understudy to Saili, 'does a good job when called upon'.

Kellaway - 'looked sharp whenever he's played', very versatile, great support lines.

Naiyaravoro - 'suspect defensively but a monster if you can get him moving at speed', 'starting working off his wing', 'always looking for offloads so he's set up a few decent tries'.

Morahan - 'absolute gem', 'brings out the best in other players', 'one of the best wingers in the premiership at the moment', shown real speed in gassing Johnny May.

White - 'class', 'Wing Commander White'.

Smith - 'a delight to watch', 'papa bear to the youngins', 'gets slapped with an awful lot of penalties'.

Stirzacker - 'not much of a look in yet', 'good leader in the famous La Rochelle victory', 'wasn't impressed'.

Godwin - quite good, has been pushed to the wing due to depth at centre, good footwork, decent kicking, makes yards after contact.

Betham - 'playing out of his mind this season', score 11 tries in 12 games, super versatile (plays centre, wing and fullback).

Frisby - 'pure shite', 'you can have him back'.

Sam Johnson - 'in great form at 12'.

McIntyre - starting at Agen.

To'omua - 'excellent as a backup 10', 'spectacular on attack this season', 'his no look passes are deadly'.

Horwitz - undecided (not enough appearances to judge - 'has been good from what we've seen of him').

Asquith - 'most underrated player in the Scarlets squad', 'can play flyhalf, centre, wing, and fullback and excels in each position'.

Zach Holmes - 'pure class since he arrived 2 years ago'

Tomane - 'abysmal', 'biggest waste of money in years', 'shite', 'looks soft in the carry and the tackle', 'a total wet blanket', 'its almost like hes rolling out of bed and turning up half stoned', 'needs to work on his s&c and intensity more', has played a number of games at inside centre.

Speight - 'played quite well', 'never that impressive', 'slightly weak link when it came to defence', 'solid signing', 'hard to believe he played test matches'.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Given the above, the form European Australian XV would have to be:

1. Holmes
2. Polota-Nau
3. Alo-Emile
4. Fardy
5. Horwill (vc)
6. Fainga'a
7. Gill
8. Butler (c)
9. White
10. Holmes
11. Morahan
12. To'omua
13. Betham
14. Naiyaravoro
15. Asquith

Reserves:

16. ?
17. ?
18. ?
19. Skelton / Timani
20. Smith / Dennis
21. ?
22. Godwin / Tapuai
23. Alofa / Kellaway

Comments:

+ As manager of the European Australian XV, I'd definitely be looking to pick up some front rowers and another halfback (as Alo-Emile wasn't even mentioned and TPN is supposedly just as bad as he was most recently for Australia).

+ I'd be looking to tear up the contracts of Tomane and Frisby, who apparently have been hot garbage.

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
My mate living in france who is quite a rugby nut, told me that Zack Holmes as been a 'revelation' this season...I always liked holmes but besides a few good games for the brumbies he never seemed to keep it up.

He was playing for a woeful western force outfit in his defence...would be great at the reds.

B

Bobby Sands

OK - so now I've got a bit of time, I thought it'd be interesting to report back to GAGR the contents of a post I found on Reddit the other day.

Someone asked every NH fan to report back with how the Australian's in their team had been faring over their tenure at their respective clubs, and the results are below:

Forwards:

TPN - 'very disappointing when he first came over', 'tends to trundle around a bit', 'has been better recently', 'lineout throwing has been subpar'.

Butler - club captain in his second season at Connacht, 'magnificent', 'incredible', natural leader, huge number of tackles, good support lines.

Fainga'a - growing into his game, 'started looking like a beast lately', 'really good signing', 'massive amount of work', 'important player for Connacht'.

Fardy - 'cult hero', strictly plays second row, 'puts in massive performances', 'total gent and fantastic player', 'often pops up on the wing and has scored a fair few tries'.

Skelton - 'much better this season', 'brilliant player but needs to stop getting yellows'.

Richie Arnold - 'pretty decent', only played one game.

Gill - playing very well.

Timani - 'playing very well', 'brings a lot of physicality', 'is brilliant at the breakdown'.

Dennis - 'not a super star but usually puts in a solid performance'.

Greg Holmes - 'did pretty well'.

Horwill - 'brings so much leadership to a group of aggressive / young forwards. He really keeps a lid on things and stops them from boiling over', 'brilliant in his gameplay as well', 'underrated', 'none of the headline grabbing stuff'.

Backs:

Kellaway - 'looked sharp whenever he's played', very versatile, great support lines.

Naiyaravoro - 'suspect defensively but a monster if you can get him moving at speed', 'starting working off his wing', 'always looking for offloads so he's set up a few decent tries'.

Morahan - 'absolute gem', 'brings out the best in other players', 'one of the best wingers in the premiership at the moment', shown real speed in gassing Johnny May.

Smith - 'a delight to watch', 'papa bear to the youngins', 'gets slapped with an awful lot of penalties'.

Stirzacker - 'not much of a look in yet', 'good leader in the famous La Rochelle victory', 'wasn't impressed'.

Godwin - quite good, has been pushed to the wing due to depth at centre, good footwork, decent kicking, makes yards after contact.

Betham - 'playing out of his mind this season', score 11 tries in 12 games, super versatile (plays centre, wing and fullback).

To'omua - 'excellent as a backup 10', 'spectacular on attack this season', 'his no look passes are deadly'.

Horwitz - undecided (not enough appearances to judge - 'has been good from what we've seen of him').

Asquith - 'most underrated player in the Scarlets squad', 'can play flyhalf, centre, wing, and fullback and excels in each position'.

Tomane - 'abysmal', 'biggest waste of money in years', 'shite', 'looks soft in the carry and the tackle', 'a total wet blanket', 'its almost like hes rolling out of bed and turning up half stoned', 'needs to work on his s&c and intensity more', has played a number of games at inside centre.

Speight - 'played quite well', 'never that impressive', 'slightly weak link when it came to defence', 'solid signing', 'hard to believe he played test matches'.

Fantastic, thanks for this.

Did PAE ever come good? I was certain he would be a long-term Wallaby.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
What is the deal with paddy Ryan in the mlr?
A little early for him to be playing with the San Diego legion no?
Also heard a solid rumor that digny ioane and berrick Barnes are looking to play in the mlr to wrap career up. Most likely next season.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
So what, he plays a couple of games in a row at inside centre and he automatically can’t play anywhere else? It’s not like he is playing there exclusively. And close to half his test matches are at wing, does that count for nothing?

I don't know about that but watching him last week he created most of the play for Sale from 12 and was very good in defence.
He might be a tad small for a Wallaby 13 and has second playmaking skills. If he has matured then his talent would be very well received here. I read a few months back that he was keen on a return to Oz........again. Maybe now is his time?

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Uncompromising. Harsh. Unforgiving.

Personally I will welcome the bloke back should he get the chance.

I am entirely with Slim on this matter. I would be disappointed in the extreme if JOC (James O'Connor) were to be signed by the Brumbies. I don't care particularly what other teams might do but it is getting tiresome for fans of other teams to be championing him as a player the Brumbies need.

At No 12 I am quite content to see Lealiifano, JJH, Simone and any of the newbies fight for the spot.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am entirely with Slim on this matter. I would be disappointed in the extreme if JOC (James O'Connor) were to be signed by the Brumbies. I don't care particularly what other teams might do but it is getting tiresome for fans of other teams to be championing him as a player the Brumbies need.

At No 12 I am quite content to see Lealiifano, JJH, Simone and any of the newbies fight for the spot.

This is not a. Rumbies thread. I have made no comment on Brumbies player list.

I just don’t support the OTT negativity to JOC (James O'Connor).

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)

Backs:

Some interesting comments there - not surprised about Speight and Godwin but Tomane seems to have gone off the cliff - he was in great form when he left here. I thought Frisby would go well but seems not. Morahan seems a lost talent. Who is 'Smith' in the backs? Has George shifted to the centres?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Reading these comments, I always struggle with, are these players excelling because of the competition they're playing in or the fact they're no longer in the shambles of the Australia Rugby system.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Reading these comments, I always struggle with, are these players excelling because of the competition they're playing in or the fact they're no longer in the shambles of the Australia Rugby system.
By this do you mean the Premiership etc, are a step down from Super Rugby? If yes, then i highly doubt it. I'd say on average the quality in the Premiership and Europe are higher than Soup. Although, i don't think Leinster would beat the Crusaders (such a matchup should be a thing).

Leaving Australia does wonders for your career, generally.