• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
How much effect would changing the Giteau law (i.e. making it easier to pick someone overseas) have on players leaving to go overseas? Even if it does increase the number of players heading overseas is it more important for Australian rugbyto have a strong Wallaby side than players playing locally?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How much effect would changing the Giteau law (i.e. making it easier to pick someone overseas) have on players leaving to go overseas? Even if it does increase the number of players heading overseas is it more important for Australian rugbyto have a strong Wallaby side than players playing locally?
Depends if we care about Super Rugby. It seems to be on the way out.

I think the fear is that we would stop producing quality players, but i have no idea if there is any real correlation with Super rugby teams and player production.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Depends if we care about Super Rugby. It seems to be on the way out.

I think the fear is that we would stop producing quality players, but i have no idea if there is any real correlation with Super rugby teams and player production.
Will players develop overseas? How will combinations be affected if you’re pulling players from all over the world? Really opens a can of worms. I just think the temptation to keep someone like Kerevi (who really could be the best attacking 12 worldwide by year end) will be very high.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No doubt our team would be much better than it is now with free selection. I think sheer weight of numbers would overcome any shortcomings encountered in relation to 'combinations'.

We don't really have any combinations imported from Super Rugby at the moment anyway. The front row? Maybe.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No doubt our team would be much better than it is now with free selection. I think sheer weight of numbers would overcome any shortcomings encountered in relation to 'combinations'.

We don't really have any combinations imported from Super Rugby at the moment anyway. The front row? Maybe.
That’s true, we had a clear Tah axis in the backline the last few years but no longer.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
oK - something more exodus related. Someone posted Coleman was giving up the WC to go to UK....Surely he is staying for selection - unless Cheika purposefully released him. He is under contract and can't just decide to leave earlier.

Is this forum contributor misinformed?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
oK - something more exodus related. Someone posted Coleman was giving up the WC to go to UK..Surely he is staying for selection - unless Cheika purposefully released him. He is under contract and can't just decide to leave earlier.

Is this forum contributor misinformed?

Coleman can ask for an early release and it is RA's decision whether to grant it or not.

Given his injuries and form, if we get a bit further through the season and he's still not right, it might happen. It's a fairly hefty salary to stop paying early. That said, with the RWC, the English season starts later so he'd presumably be heading over to do preseason for most of that time.

B

Bobby Sands

I know we are losing Rory, but its probably a very good time to get Richie back (his brother) absolutely killing it in France.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Izaia Perese has been named on the bench for the Broncos to make his NRL debut this week.

He is named in the reserves, it’s essentially the wide training squad but it’s not the bench.
The interchange is the bench.

Someone will have to drop out of the match day 17 for him to get a game, he has been named in the interchange a few times this year but is cut come matchday.

B

Bobby Sands

He is named in the reserves, it’s essentially the wide training squad but it’s not the bench.
The interchange is the bench.

Someone will have to drop out of the match day 17 for him to get a game, he has been named in the interchange a few times this year but is cut come matchday.

All reports are he will go very close to getting on the bench instead of carrying another prop. The left centre is very ordinary in my opinion & Perese is running riot in the Q cup. Would be great to see him get a run.

I know its the wrong forum, but the Broncos are building a very nice young side.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I know we are losing Rory, but its probably a very good time to get Richie back (his brother) absolutely killing it in France.

Richie just started there after Japan. I imagine he and his bro will be there for a while. Both pretty late bloomers and will be chasing $$ as much as possible..

B

Bobby Sands

Richie just started there after Japan. I imagine he and his bro will be there for a while. Both pretty late bloomers and will be chasing $$ as much as possible..

Toulouse as the best team in France, and potentially Europe will have a locking combo of Arnold & Arnold :cool:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I just realised that Rory Arnold is directly replacing his brother, Richie. They'll never actually play a game together for Toulouse, with Richie now leaving to play in Japan.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I just realised that Rory Arnold is directly replacing his brother, Richie. They'll never actually play a game together for Toulouse, with Richie now leaving to play in Japan.

Makes it easier for the locker room sign writer.

Out: R Arnold
In: R Arnold