• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Reece Hewat looked like he suffered a pretty nasty neck injury in his game for Pau on the weekend. He was stretchered off in a neck brace to the local crowd rather charmingly chanting "Hewat" which is quite tough for the French to pronounce. Fortunately the coach has said it's only a cervical strain/whiplash (not sure which way to translate it, both make little sense to me).

But there's little news so far about it, hopefully only out for a few weeks. He's really growing into his body over there, great damaging runs and good across the ball. His colleague Maddocks was pretty stellar in the air too for this game. They beat top of the table Stade Francais by 30-6 so no easy competition.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If you're stretchered off in a neck brace that seems about as good an outcome as possible. Pretty sore for a few weeks though.

Maddocks looking physically different now. They do know how to get a player prepared in France.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you're stretchered off in a neck brace that seems about as good an outcome as possible. Pretty sore for a few weeks though.

Maddocks looking physically different now. They do know how to get a player prepared in France.
Problem was he was a cricketer as a kid then got picked up off the back of one good year in year 12 if I remember correctly. So he never really had any exposure to getting into the gym and lifting weight as it isn’t a requirement for cricket

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Might be wrong but I think he played 3rds for Scots in year 12 while focusing on cricket and was picked up from Easts Colts when killing it after applying himself to Rugby.

I'm sure he gave a few 3rd XVs a rough time. Those Scots 1sts were doing fine at the time: Angus Crichton, Toby Rudolph, Guy Porter, Andrew Kellaway, Theo Strang,

2 + 2

Allen Oxlade (6)
yes, he plays in the mid north coast NSW competition, and plays a little bit of 1stXV. While a good achievement at 16 the competition certainly does not set the world on fire in terms of its standard. He certainly wont be playing 1stXV at Rotorua Boys and my belief is the mother is trying to make it more about his race than anything else. There are a number of schools that offer Indigenous programs (Knox, Joeys off the top if my head) so for his mother to say the schools in Syd/Bris dont promote his culture is just wrong. I might be incorrect but the kid couldnt even make the Country u16 team this year so he is along way off being 1stXV standard at a GPS or CAS school

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
yes, he plays in the mid north coast NSW competition, and plays a little bit of 1stXV. While a good achievement at 16 the competition certainly does not set the world on fire in terms of its standard. He certainly wont be playing 1stXV at Rotorua Boys and my belief is the mother is trying to make it more about his race than anything else. There are a number of schools that offer Indigenous programs (Knox, Joeys off the top if my head) so for his mother to say the schools in Syd/Bris dont promote his culture is just wrong. I might be incorrect but the kid couldnt even make the Country u16 team this year so he is along way off being 1stXV standard at a GPS or CAS school
Just because they have indigenous programs doesn’t mean the programs are successful in making indigenous kids feel included in the school. Didn’t think that would have to be explained really.

100% the approach came from the school as opposed to the family seeking out the school

Also it shows the shit attitude that rugby has towards regional areas.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Reece Hewat looked like he suffered a pretty nasty neck injury in his game for Pau on the weekend. He was stretchered off in a neck brace to the local crowd rather charmingly chanting "Hewat" which is quite tough for the French to pronounce. Fortunately the coach has said it's only a cervical strain/whiplash (not sure which way to translate it, both make little sense to me).

But there's little news so far about it, hopefully only out for a few weeks. He's really growing into his body over there, great damaging runs and good across the ball. His colleague Maddocks was pretty stellar in the air too for this game. They beat top of the table Stade Francais by 30-6 so no easy competition.
You over there mate or watching all game via a vpn?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You over there mate or watching all game via a vpn?
used to watch with a vpn but there's someone who posts the games a couple days late on youtube. Often the channel gets shut down but then re-emerges again not late after. Just search Top 14 rugby with the parameters: over 20+ minutes, in the past week. Current iteration is a channel called MBA Ovalie 6.

Easy enough to avoid french rugby news over here so I generally try and watch 2 or 3 of the games throughout the week.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Money goes further in France too (although their tax rate is a little fucked). Honestly, what more could a 26 year old want? Wonder if he's single...
If its just under normal income tax, then 500k aud in France is about 50k worse off then 500k in Aus

To make it even, he would need to get paid $400k here in Australia.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
used to watch with a vpn but there's someone who posts the games a couple days late on youtube. Often the channel gets shut down but then re-emerges again not late after. Just search Top 14 rugby with the parameters: over 20+ minutes, in the past week. Current iteration is a channel called MBA Ovalie 6.

Easy enough to avoid french rugby news over here so I generally try and watch 2 or 3 of the games throughout the week.

thats exactly how I watched them last yr but stopped when that 1st channel got banned, thanks i'll have a good search tonight

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Problem was he was a cricketer as a kid then got picked up off the back of one good year in year 12 if I remember correctly. So he never really had any exposure to getting into the gym and lifting weight as it isn’t a requirement for cricket
No exposure besides the 5 years playing professional rugby In Australia.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If its just under normal income tax, then 500k aud in France is about 50k worse off then 500k in Aus

It may have changed post COVID but my understanding was that France had broad reaching tax exemptions for individuals not previously tax residents that allowed them to pay a flat tax rate of ~30% on all earnings instead of the standard income tax bands, such that companies (and sports teams) could remain competitive in their recruitment of high level talent.

EDIT: I think it's actually a exemption on 30% of their income, not a flat rate of 30%. Regardless, tax advantages.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty cool and interesting that Simone is captaining Clermont. I'm happy for him, hope he's enjoying it. Can't imagine that he speaks a lick of french, tough challenge for a captain.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Tevita Kuridrani has signed for Seattle. Strange decline, only 32 years old. Played 60 times for the Wallabies, couldn't make an impact at Western Force. One season in Biarritz.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Living i

Living in general in France is far cheaper than aus tho
Food, booze, rent (outside certain markets but small town France is not overly expensive)