• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I haven’t seen him play in years but, assuming he’s still super rugby standard, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the Reds added an experienced lock to our squad. I’d be damn happy about it in fact.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
See the boys at the pig athletic club pumping up Max Douglas playing a cannon. If Skelton is out of the wales series as reported might be worth having a look at

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gotta give those PAC boys credit. Whilst everyone else is bemoaning the state of rugby they keep pushing out some decent content particularly around some of the lesser known Aussie players.

I honestly thought they were going the wrong way a while back, a bit too offensive to be taken seriously or enjoyed. But they’ve straightened up the arrow a fair bit and seem to be doing well.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Gotta give those PAC boys credit. Whilst everyone else is bemoaning the state of rugby they keep pushing out some decent content particularly around some of the lesser known Aussie players.

I honestly thought they were going the wrong way a while back, a bit too offensive to be taken seriously or enjoyed. But they’ve straightened up the arrow a fair bit and seem to be doing well.
They’re great. Desperately need media for the younger generations. They’re not appealing to the 45+ demographics.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don’t hate the idea of Benny Taps coming back to the Reds and playing outside Lynagh/HMP. Giving Flook a few pointers. But I feel like JOC (James O'Connor) is supposed to be playing that mentor role.

In which case Taps would find it very hard to make the Reds match day 23.

Reactions: dru

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

the podcast with Sione & Freeny (we all know it’s you Raelene) is a bit edgy, I like it. The socials are quality & a lot can be taken from for RA & the super sides.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t hate the idea of Benny Taps coming back to the Reds and playing outside Lynagh/HMP. Giving Flook a few pointers. But I feel like JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is supposed to be playing that mentor role.

Yeh reds have no space for a 12 - with Paisami, Henry, Annan, JOC (James O'Connor), Flook & Petaia all in the 12/13 channel.

Force have playmaker 12's + Foliaki, Spink, Cummins & Odonnell
Brumbies have Tua, Creighton, Anderson all 12s, plus Ikitau & Sapsford at 13.
Tahs have Tuipolotu and Foketi at 12 then Perese & Walton @ 13

Rebels have bad 12's (just a lot of bodies)

Rebels it is!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeh reds have no space for a 12 - with Paisami, Henry, Annan, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Flook & Petaia all in the 12/13 channel.

Force have playmaker 12's + Foliaki, Spink, Cummins & Odonnell
Brumbies have Tua, Creighton, Anderson all 12s, plus Ikitau & Sapsford at 13.
Tahs have Tuipolotu and Foketi at 12 then Perese & Walton @ 13

Rebels have bad 12's (just a lot of bodies)

Rebels it is!

Yeah that all black is just a body isn't he

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah that all black is just a body isn't he

It's not unreasonable to argue that as centers Proctor and Daugunu have both played their best rugby at 13, hence our 12 options are running one of them "out of position", play a journeyman like Feliuai or Jooste there, or play the "developing" Ripley or Dave Vaihu.

I think Daugunu would still start at 12 and Proctor would play 13 with Lancaster, Pincus or G Vaihu on the wing: Douglas would take the 19 ahead of Smith and Tualima, Tapuai the 22 ahead of any of our other center options, Holmes the 23 ahead of Strachan/Mason Gordon.

Not that we could afford or even want all three at this late stage. Some or all could have MLR deals lined up or something.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I haven’t seen him play in years but, assuming he’s still super rugby standard, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the Reds added an experienced lock to our squad. I’d be damn happy about it in fact.

Kane wasn’t too happy with how his career ended at the Reds last time.

At the time had signed overseas, and then in what would have been his last home game of Super Rugby in Australia, he wasn’t selected and Thorn opted for younger guys instead (probably LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Hockings/Blyth). I think there was a bit more to it, like Douglas wasn’t told ahead of squad announcement, family had planned to attend, felt disrespected etc.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t hate the idea of Benny Taps coming back to the Reds and playing outside Lynagh/HMP. Giving Flook a few pointers. But I feel like JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is supposed to be playing that mentor role.

Taps also has a good left boot, which is an underrated asset for an inside back

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Dane Zander has just joined the LA MLR side, I know he was ordinary at Super Rugby level but surely at his age Europe would be an option
Aussie props aren't valued very highly. See Cameron Orr. Scott Sio isn't really dominating either like he did back here.

Exception to the rule, Paul Alo-Emile is absolutely killing it, top three props in France IMO.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Aussie props aren't valued very highly. See Cameron Orr. Scott Sio isn't really dominating either like he did back here.

Exception to the rule, Paul Alo-Emile is absolutely killing it, top three props in France IMO.

yeah but he wouldnt be on anymore than what he could get in the pro d2 or even at Zebre or one of the Welsh sides. He would be a handy depth prop somewhere