• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The NRL had no plan when I was in Tonga, that's quite a few years ago, but young men were emigrating to play junior loig in Australia. No doubt the same thing was happening in Fiji and Samoa.

Planning has got nothing to do with it. The simple fact is that there are far more paid jobs in loig here, then in rugby.

Money talks, and bullshit walks. There has always been far more money at the lower levels in loig, that's just a fact of life.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The NRL had no plan when I was in Tonga, that's quite a few years ago, but young men were emigrating to play junior loig in Australia. No doubt the same thing was happening in Fiji and Samoa.

Planning has got nothing to do with it. The simple fact is that there are far more paid jobs in loig here, then in rugby.

Money talks, and bullshit walks. There has always been far more money at the lower levels in loig, that's just a fact of life.

No doubt that's all true, but now they have a plan to expand their very small footprint into the PI and PNG. Nothing may ever come of it, but they're doing it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Anyone who doesn't have some plan or vision for improving the current situation.

What's yours?:)
The ARU's plan is to grow the game in Perth and Melbourne. They're making headway and local players are starting to make an impact at higher levels. They're also places where the economies can support a professional rugby environment.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The ARU's plan is to grow the game in Perth and Melbourne. They're making headway and local players are starting to make an impact at higher levels. They're also places where the economies can support a professional rugby environment.

Both of which I've supported and advocated since before they were implemented. The ARU has done well in establising professional rugby teams there. I've said this many times on this and other threads. Many rugby people opposed expansion to these places and have proven to have been on the wrong side of history.

T

TOCC

Anyone who doesn't have some plan or vision for improving the current situation.

What's yours?:)

well what I'm trying to ask, is who are you referring to in your posts?
You say "at least they have a plan and some vision" in reference to the NRL, but who are you comparing this to? I mean its not as though the IRB/World Rugby hasn't invested in the Pacific Islands and the All Blacks are taking a game to Samoa in 2015 which will be the biggest event the country has hosted in decades. More broadly there's the Pacific Nations Cup, Pacific Rugby Cup and the U20's from the pacific islands will feature in Australia's U20 tournaments.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Seems to be a decent amount that the rugby community are doing as a collective for PI rugby. Some people just complain and want something for nothing without realistic expectations.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
well what I'm trying to ask, is who are you referring to in your posts?
You say "at least they have a plan and some vision" in reference to the NRL, but who are you comparing this to? I mean its not as though the IRB/World Rugby hasn't invested in the Pacific Islands and the All Blacks are taking a game to Samoa in 2015 which will be the biggest event the country has hosted in decades. More broadly there's the Pacific Nations Cup, Pacific Rugby Cup and the U20's from the pacific islands will feature in Australia's U20 tournaments.

I'm not referring to you if that's what you're worried about.

I'm interested in what long-term plans SANZAR might have beyond S18 in order to get to a situation where there is more money in the game in this region and thus reduce the number of players leaving for Europe. I've made several lengthy posts on this earlier in the thread and the PI is a small part of my suggestions and a part that is at least 20 years down the track if it is to happen at all.

"At least the NRL" have a plan is in response to naysayers who won't even consider that certain things should be considered - even as a long term objective.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
One thing to remember about this player exodus is that there was an unnatural lack of an exodus after the last RWC due to the Lions tour. This kept a lot of players around. The only ones we lost were Giteau and Burgess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Conrad Smith off to Section Paloise and Genia to join Stade Francais once contract wrangle with Bath is sorted

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is Section Paloise in D2? If so, he'll be punching way below his weight classification.

Almost certainly his signing will be dependant on them gaining promotion to the Top14 & if it's a multi-year deal he'll have an out clause should they get relegated.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not really sure. Got distracted and ended up climbing a mountain, as you do at a rugby game. The highlight was the kiwi hooker asking if I could throw into the line out for him.

Gee, I am disappointed. Our big chance to win the Bled and we blew it.

Again.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I genuinely had a dream last night that the exodus was so bad that the Shore 1st XV played the All Blacks for the Bledisloe. The old boy circle was complete.

At least Hawker and Pulver would have unfettered access to the players for backslapping purposes.:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I genuinely had a dream last night that the exodus was so bad that the Shore 1st XV played the All Blacks for the Bledisloe. The old boy circle was complete.

where was it played?
and what did you eat before going to sleep?
[merely trying to work out if it was a dream or a premonition]