• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Genia now being linked with Stade Francais rather than Bath (& who could blame him, I mean Paris v Bath is the very definition of no-brainer, innit?):

"Meanwhile, Wallabies halfback Will Genia has reportedly signed a three-year deal with French club Stade Francais and will leave Australia after the 2015 World Cup.

"The 58-test Queenslander had been linked to English club Bath, but a report from France on Monday said Genia would be calling Paris home as early as the end of this year."

Tacked onto confirmation of the days-old story of Conrad Smith's imminent departure for parts French.........

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...mith-linked-with-postworld-cup-move-to-france

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In light of Genia's exit, I did wonder what Phipp's stance was. Good on him, not only for staying, but for working as hard as he has on his game. He's one of the Wallabies most improved players in the last twelve months.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
In light of Genia's exit, I did wonder what Phipp's stance was. Good on him, not only for staying, but for working as hard as he has on his game. He's one of the Wallabies most improved players in the last twelve months.

Has he played as well as Genia did at his best?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
where was it played?
and what did you eat before going to sleep?
[merely trying to work out if it was a dream or a premonition]
It was played in a place that looked like Queenstown. I ate a salad, then a vegetarian lasagna then some fried chicken. I was in a plane at the time. I hope that helps.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I’ll keep saying this on multiple forums, but we don’t have any choice, we have to select overseas players going forward. After the WC the majority of our first choice Wallabies will be playing overseas. It’s niave to believe that French clubs aren’t approaching every potential Wallaby and offering them 2-3 times what they can earn in Australia. Players like Horne and Phipps will take advantage of that and stay in Australia, because they have a pass into the Australian team with their competition for the positions moving overseas. But our first choice player in most positions will be playing overseas. If we don’t start selecting overseas players we will have to accept Australia playing second or third stringers in most positions and dropping to a 6-8 ranked team.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Another one gone - it's disappointing but expected .

To be fair, Will Genias best footy was 4 years ago in 2011 so the loss is minimal.

What really disappoints me is when guys such as Kepu, a bloke at the top of his game is not retained.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It was played in a place that looked like Queenstown. I ate a salad, then a vegetarian lasagna then some fried chicken. I was in a plane at the time. I hope that helps.

Computer says "Dream".
if it was a premonition it would have been played at Northbridge in front of the Hawker stand.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’ll keep saying this on multiple forums, but we don’t have any choice, we have to select overseas players going forward. After the WC the majority of our first choice Wallabies will be playing overseas. It’s niave to believe that French clubs aren’t approaching every potential Wallaby and offering them 2-3 times what they can earn in Australia. Players like Horne and Phipps will take advantage of that and stay in Australia, because they have a pass into the Australian team with their competition for the positions moving overseas. But our first choice player in most positions will be playing overseas.

Besides Kepu, which first choice starting XV player in 2016 will be playing overseas?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Players like Horne and Phipps will take advantage of that and stay in Australia, because they have a pass into the Australian team with their competition for the positions moving overseas.

Ahh .............. that is the point

You stay, you can play, you work out what value the Wobs jersey is to you and accept less to play in aus.

Otherwise the Aus comp will become like the A league and anyone near decent will be in europe and Japan

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Phipps played every single test in 2014 and started the vast majority of them (all but 5 I think).

Horne was in the matchday 23 for about 10 tests last year as well.

It's not like these guys are only getting a crack because players are leaving.

There's a bit of the Matt Giteau syndrome about some of these departures from the perspective of some fans. Players who were previously first choice but in the last year or two have struggled to make the matchday 23 and now people are proclaiming that we have to start selecting overseas players so these players can play for the Wallabies again.

Obviously players like Genia, Higginbotham etc. could push themselves up to be first choice again if they stay, but why would you change the eligibility rules to be able to pick them when they're playing overseas in different competitions that makes their form far harder to judge than if they're playing Super Rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Another one gone - it's disappointing but expected .

To be fair, Will Genias best footy was 4 years ago in 2011 so the loss is minimal.

What really disappoints me is when guys such as Kepu, a bloke at the top of his game is not retained.

perhaps, but from what I saw of him in the trial, it was pretty good. As good as I have seen for some time.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He looked really sharp again, was great to see. It's also worth noting that he was still playing at his best up to and including the 2nd lions game, so the form isn't that distant.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Genia has been sniffing around for bigger bucks for a while. Remember when he was going to switch to the Force?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He looked really sharp again, was great to see. It's also worth noting that he was still playing at his best up to and including the 2nd lions game, so the form isn't that distant.

yeah, he is great player who appears to have played wounded too often for his own good.