• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
How much money will save the ARU with the exodus?

Smart move by Will
He's been playing
poorly for 3 years. He would have been lucky to get a top up from the ARU for a new contract. Last time he signed he was probably classed as the best half in world rugby. Now he is probably third or fourth in Australia , let alone the world.
His contract value is diminishing.

Good luck to him. I do hope his playing can be rejuvenated to where it once was.

New wife, baby, change of lifestyle may be just the thing for him.

I wish him we'll

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
There is hope that the international game can survive. RWC is a big money spinner for WR (World Rugby), maybe that is some extra leverage to use in the future. i.e. no RWC hosting for England or France unless club competitions are kept in line. That just leaves the Scots:rolleyes:
Eng and France won't be looking to bid much before 2031 I would have thought. I hope I am wrong, but I am not sure there will even be a RWC by that stage.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Eng and France won't be looking to bid much before 2031 I would have thought. I hope I am wrong, but I am not sure there will even be a RWC by that stage.

The RFU's lust for cash knows no bounds. If they can smell a quid they'd bid for anything. I see that Ireland, US/Canada and Italy are 3 potential bidder for RWC 2023. Not beyond the realms of possibility for the RFU to try for some matches/cash in support of either the Irish or Italian bids. I wouldn't put anything past the people who run English rugby.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Surprised it's 3 years. Obviously doesn't want a good shot at the next RWC.

Haven't been following this thread closely. Is there a list of confirmed players heading OS?

T

TOCC

Surprised it's 3 years. Obviously doesn't want a good shot at the next RWC.
1 season is enough to push for a squad position if he were to return, not that I expect he will. He will be in his 30's and another few halfbacks would have rolled off the production line by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

So what's the list so far for this year?

Genia
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horwill
Kepu
Palu
Betham
Higgers
Foley
White

So based on the players values at their last re-signing, the ARU will be saving $millions next year. (Genia, Horwill etc last re-signed when they were form players and White/Foley signed when they were still emerging).

I think its fair to say the ARU top-ups of the players were in vicinity of this:
Genia $400,000
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) $400,000
Horwill $450,000
Kepu $300,000
Higgers $350,000
Palu $450,000
Betham $0
Foley $200,000
White $200,000

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So based on the players values at their last re-signing, the ARU will be saving $millions next year.

As I understand it, under the CBA a fixed percentage of revenue has to be spent on player renumeration each year. So whatever they save on these players will be spent on someone else.

T

TOCC

As I understand it, under the CBA a fixed percentage of revenue has to be spent on player renumeration each year. So whatever they save on these players will be spent on someone else.

Yes this is true, the issue for many years has been that the percentage spent on players wages has exceeded the fixed percentage of the CBA, it's why they were able to push through a reduction in match grants without too much drama. The reduction In the number of players receiving the top up and also having the qualifying period is to reduce the percentage spent to a manageable level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So based on the players values at their last re-signing, the ARU will be saving $millions next year. (Genia, Horwill etc last re-signed when they were form players and White/Foley signed when they were still emerging).

I think its fair to say the ARU top-ups of the players were in vicinity of this:
Genia $400,000
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) $400,000
Horwill $450,000
Kepu $300,000
Higgers $350,000
Palu $450,000
Betham $0
Foley $200,000
White $200,000

Kuridrani and Fardy just re-signed with the ARU, so a little of that would've gone into their top ups...........

Also, I don't think White or Foley are on top ups.......... White probably would've received one this year if he stayed on, and Foley has only had one year of test rugby

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Although Will and I confirmed this decision some time ago, he had made it clear to us that he didn't want anything to disrupt his final season with the Reds and his team-mates," Carmichael said in a statement.
"As a consequence, the QRU is extremely disappointed that the comments made in France overnight have denied a player of Will's standing, in Super Rugby and internationally, the opportunity to inform his team-mates, supporters and the admirers he has throughout Australian Rugby, in the appropriate fashion as planned."

I think that's a ridiculous assertion to make, the other club has their own fans and sponsors to consider when announcing big signings. They don't give a stuff about the Reds and their players and rightly so.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Folau could be playing alongside Craig Wing in Japan after he was spotted in the offices of the Kobe club a few weeks ago.

The superstar Wallabies fullback surprised team members and staff when he lobbed at their headquarters in the Tahs’ previous bye week. Kobe’s roster not only includes Wing, but another former NRL star in Fraser Anderson, who represented Brisbane and Cronulla before switching codes.

The ARU will do all it can to retain Folau, who gives the struggling code a marketing weapon money can’t buy.

They have introduced a “flexible contract” which would allow Folau and other marquee players to take up lucrative overseas offers if they commit to Australian rugby long-term.

Losing Folau would be unimaginably disastrous for the ARU, given no other player comes close to generating the headlines he does.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/rugby/isr...r-rugby-bye-week/story-e6frf4pu-1227289759679

Is it possible a contract like Nick Cummins' contract? Japanese season is short