• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Towns Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Eddington - a place in Victoria, but also a place between Julia Creek & Cloncurry that was a telephone exchange in the times of manual exchanges. (Yes I have been around that long....)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Norfolk Island. While strictly not a town, there are only about 2000 residents in the whole joint. "Capital" is Kingston. Most famous for its links to the HMS Bounty mutineers resettled from Pitcairn Island, and Colleen McCullogh, author of Thorn Birds. Governed by an Administrator from Canberra. No rugby only mungo.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Eddington - a place in Victoria, but also a place between Julia Creek & Cloncurry that was a telephone exchange in the times of manual exchanges. (Yes I have been around that long..)
There's a place between the Curry and Julia Creek???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Eromanga - The most inland town in Australia was the claim. About 100kms west of Quilpie. Wiki reckons the population is 30 - 40 people but they must have counted canines in their figures.
The pies I cannot comment on but I was allegedly served a kangaroo burger at a BBQ they had one night. All a bit lose out there, so the kangaroo burger claim is not entirely able to be dismissed as a tall story.
Famous for oil and dinosaurs - lucky I wasn't served a brontosaurus burger.
Nearest rugby is the Roma Echidnas, a mere 1160kms to get to training and back.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
chasmac, hold that thought. Eromanga has been awarded a Yellow Card.

The thread rules requires the "next" town to start with the last letter of the previous town. Bit of a bummer if you are desperate to bust out Queanbeyan, but such is life.

The last "correct" entry verified by the Stewards was Dijarra from Sully, therefore we are looking for an "A" town.

Hopefully someone can come up with an A town that ends in E so that we can then use your suggestion. BTW Adelaide has already been used, so is therefore disqualified.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Avondale, NSW. Alternate name for Cooranbong on the NSW Central Coast. Home of Sanitarium Weetbix Factory. No pies there.

Also a suburb of West Dapto in the Gong. Home of the Hot dogs, and the first Alpaca farm in Australia (1866). It failed.

Ready for your entry now chasmac.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Ayre - home of Karrie Webb and bugger all else. Pity I went for lunch !!
Ok -
Eromanga - The most inland town in Australia was the claim. About 100kms west of Quilpie. Wiki reckons the population is 30 - 40 people but they must have counted canines in their figures.
The pies I cannot comment on but I was allegedly served a kangaroo burger at a BBQ they had one night. All a bit lose out there, so the kangaroo burger claim is not entirely able to be dismissed as a tall story.
Famous for oil and dinosaurs - lucky I wasn't served a brontosaurus burger.
Nearest rugby is the Roma Echidnas, a mere 1160kms to get to training and back.​

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Albert - Home of the Rabbit trap hotel.
Did some contract harvesting out there one year. Didn't need to get the header out of road gear the crop was so poor.
Good pies.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
TERRIGAL - NSW.
Supposedly the jewel of the Central Coast. Only if the jewel is a turd. Lost its class (hahaha) with the mid 70's Labor conference and reall ynever recovered. Terrigal Trojans Rugby Club are universally loathed. Not for success, but for the pompous attitudes of their supporters and hangers on. One of their own got belted by an islander player, who left the field of play after racial vilification. Noice...
In saying that, they have a quaint oval that leaks septic into the SW corner. But it is in a pretty spot for a game. Jeremy Paul is now a local and has a run around with the "Blue Filth"
The two hotels in the town are quite popular with Cougars, lads, Bogans and tourists... In the beerie on a Sunday you just sit back and watch the action :) :) :)
As far as culinary delights go, it is classic seaside variety... Over priced, overcooked and served with just the right amount of local cynicism. The pie shop is average and in all honesty I am in two minds as to if this place is nicer than Auburn

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Lakes Entrance - Vic. At the entrance to the lakes. You can see why they called it that. Lovely little seaside town with great beaches. Had a pie there once but dont remember much about it. They dont allow dogs on the beach. They have a hundred miles of beach, what difference will it make?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The only advantage that I can think of is that some parts of Terrigal are by water, and some parts of Auburn are by the Duck River.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
ENCOUNTER BAY - SA

The name says it all... You go there in the water, you will encounter Fucking big sharks AKA Great Whites!!! You go there on land you encounter fucking big Bogans... AKA Fisho's ...
Pie stakes were never tried as the pizza joint and the hamburger fish and chippery are top notch. Works Burger is a meal and a half. Its just a shame that it is in South Oz, because learning to strangle the English language is always hard Eh?
Beats Auburn by the length of the straight at Morphettville.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yarranlea - Home to a substation, chook farms & an engineering works. No pies, pizzas or burgers. Population recently tripled due to roadworks.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
AINSLIE-ACT

Quaintly named after Ainsley Gotto, but typical ACT government got the spelling wrong. Gorgeous as she is, Ainsley never really starred in politics once Sir John got speared by Bill. Hugh Jarse, Lindommer and cyclopath all had schoolboy crushes on Ainsley.
As far as the suburb goes, its a shithole

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm calling Bullsh!t on the Gristlechewer origin of Ainslie, but in the spirit of some entries which have at times being a little liberal on actual detail, I like it.

Exeter, NSW. Population bugger all. Most people know Exeter for the Coffee, Petrol and Maccas stop on the way south out of Sydney, but the Exeter CBD is about 8km from the Service Centre.

Urban legend has it that when the Brumbies first started up, several Sydney based players stopped at the Maccas (on the Northbound side of the Hume Highway) for a feed as they drove towards Canberra for training.

Having finished at Maccas, instead of crossing the bridge over the Hume and continuing their journey Southbound, they took the more logical route down the on ramp and drove back towards Sydney. They almost got to Campbelltown before they twigged that something was not quite right.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Rubicon - Vic. Not much there anymore. Closest pie is Thornton. Great place if you like peace and quiet. Also great trout fishing in the Rubicon River

Status
Not open for further replies.