• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v British & Irish Lions, 3rd Test (Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Not at all. However, progress towards the opposition try line is important, more so when it's dominant, since it means you're consistently getting over the gain line. When your back row makes almost as many meters with the ball in hand as the opposition team in total then you obviously have a substantial advantage. If the backs had been more able to convert that forward progress into points then we'd have won comfortably.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Roberts and Davies the same? You are joking right? Davies is a far more effective 13 than 12. There is only one 13 in the world right now who is better at recognising space and the right line to run and that's Conrad Smith. Davies does this incredibly well.

You have a very high opinion of Davies, even the Welsh don't rate him that highly. Put it this way if you were Robbie Deans who would you rather face? I bet Dingo is delighted that BOD isn't playing. We'll have to agree to disagree on his abilities.

BOD isn't anywhere near his peak I agree, but he still attracts a lot of attention in defense. Add to that his leading of the defense, his breakdown work, his ability to offload and his leadership, I think Gatland has made the wrong call.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Wow big call, what a fairytale!

Still not sure McCalman offers much spark, especially compared to the in-form Kimlin. That bench selection isn't quite as baffling as Tuilagi over BOD. I'd have thought they'd want a bit of subtlety to get around the solid pair of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Lilo, Tuilagi offers little more than brute power.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
1. Benn Robinson.
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill ©
5. Kane Douglas
6. Ben Mowen
7. George Smith
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. James O’Connor
11. Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Kurtley Beale

Reserves
16. Saia Fainga'a
17. James Slippper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Rob Simmons
20. Ben McCalman
21. Michael Hooper
22. Nick Phipps
23. Jesse Mogg

That's a really strong starting 15, IMO. *If* those combinations gel they'd be able to run most teams ragged.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wow big call, what a fairytale!

Still not sure McCalman offers much spark, especially compared to the in-form Kimlin. That bench selection isn't quite as baffling as Tuilagi over BOD. I'd have thought they'd want a bit of subtlety to get around the solid pair of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Lilo, Tuilagi offers little more than brute power.

Gatland's plan B is normally to do more of Plan A. So if bashing it up in the centres isn't working he's need Tuilagi to come on and bash it up in the centres.

Not a very inspiring overall selection. BOD out is a big mistake in my opinion. I think Davies and BOD have been the 2 best centres on tour, a real pity both are 13s. I hope Davies has a stormer and justifies his selection.

I can see Aus bossing the breakdown with Warburton & BOD out of the team and to a lesser extent Heaslip and Vunipola. Corbs in for the scrum makes sense and Toby has been in great form all tour.

This team has to hang on to the ball. Kicking away possession like last week will result in a 20 point loss as it will be very difficult to turn the ball over with the start 15. If we do hang onto the ball the back row has to make plenty of ground.

The most bizzare pick for me is Phillips coming back into start. He was terrible in the first test and is carrying an injury. Murray deserved a crack at a start as he's performed the best over the 2 tests.

My biggest concern is that with so many players coming in carrying injuries that the Lions physio will make it into our top 5 for number of minutes on the field.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Kimlin is hard done by there. The call between McCalman and MMM is a lot closer due to the latters lack of game time.

A 6:2 split is dumb move IMHO but if you guys are right this looks to be it. Mowen won't be taken off so the only reason to carry two backrowers is that Deans is suddenly worried Smith and/or Palu aren't up 80 minutes.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That is a bizarre team from Gatland. O'Brien in at openside makes all the sense in the world, as does bringing Corbisero straight back in, but Phillips, Faletau and Roberts? No BOD? WTF?

Maybe Gatland got sick of seeing Folau put the big fend on BOD and leave him lying in his wake?!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
This team has to hang on to the ball. Kicking away possession like last week will result in a 20 point loss as it will be very difficult to turn the ball over with the start 15. If we do hang onto the ball the back row has to make plenty of ground.

My biggest concern is that with so many players coming in carrying injuries that the Lions physio will make it into our top 5 for number of minutes on the field.

Two very good points there. The tactics have to change, when the Lions have 4 guys who were really good at the breakdown you could see why the let the Wobs have the ball. The Lions can't afford Jones, Sexton or Halfpenny to get injured lets hope the physios have stocked up on their magic sponges

Really strong team picked by the Wallabies, although they'll also need some luck on the injury front. Kind of looking forward (not sure why) to seeing Hooper come off the bench like a man possessed for 30 minutes.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
So Deans is concerned about the breakdown and our ability to secure the pill, fair enough. The lions got the upper-hand in that area last weekend, but why would you bring one of the most ineffectual guys into the squad? Surely Kimlin or even McMaddness would be the better options?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is insanity to go into this game knowing that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is carrying an injury with the reserve backs of Phipps and Mogg. Is Deans seriously considering playing Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Lilo as our 10, 12, 13 if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down?

I'd just about prefer a bench of Horne and Mogg with JOC (James O'Connor) as Genia's cover!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
WALLABIES TEAM TO PLAY THE LIONS
1. Benn Robinson.
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. James Horwill ©
5. Kane Douglas
6. Ben Mowen
7. George Smith
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. James O’Connor
11. Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Kurtley Beale
Reserves
16. Saia Fainga'a
17. James Slippper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Rob Simmons
20. Ben McCalman
21. Michael Hooper
22. Nick Phipps
23. Jesse Mogg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...isive-lions-test/story-fni2g0wi-1226673721681

ackers

Bob McCowan (2)
Slightly concerned with the 6-2 Bench and not really having cover for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Given how hard AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been playing and he's been down several times this series, the lack of a replacement that can play inside/outside centre is concerning.

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes off....Beale to 10? and shift JOC (James O'Connor) and Lilo out one?

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Slightly concerned with the 6-2 Bench and not really having cover for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Given how hard AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been playing and he's been down several times this series, the lack of a replacement that can play inside/outside centre is concerning.

Even more concerning when Robert, Tuigali and Davies will be running down that channel all day

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah look the lack of 13 cover may be an issue but.......

What a FUCKING AWESOME team!!!

The best Aussie team that has been assembled for many years, and it has come right in time for the Lions decider!!

Bring. It. On. Muthafuckas.

I can't wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.